First time AMH test results - no explanation from doc

Hi all, I am new to this forum and so glad to see stories of success. I’ve been a bit of a hot mess this weekend. On Friday I got a call from my OB/GYN’s nurse telling me that my doctor was “very disappointed” in my AMH levels (they drew blood on Tuesday). I am 35 and the nurse said that my AMH is 0.17. She didn’t offer a lot of explanation about what that means and told me that she wouldn’t be able to answer my questions until she spoke with my doctor…and since they close at noon on Friday she wasn’t going to call me back until Monday. Needless to say, I’m not too impressed with how they’ve handled the delivery of this news - and no explanation as to what it means.

I’ve been doing my own research this weekend and I’m very nervous about what it could mean. The only explanation the nurse provided was to relay the message that my doctor wants me to go see an RE.

I’m a little confused as to why and the nurse didn’t have an explanation. My doctor mentioned on the day they drew blood that she may want to put me on Clomid if my AMH levels were low. For those of you with levels near mine…is it typical to skip Clomid as an option?

Needless to say, I will be looking for a new OB/GYN tomorrow and trying to get in with the RE as soon as possible. I had a healthy baby boy in Sept '10. I got pregnant again in July '12 but miscarried in early September and had to have a D&C. We waited three cycles, based on my doctor’s advice before TTC. After four cycles of trying, we still aren’t pregnant which is why I scheduled last week’s OB app’t.

I feel like I’ve had a bomb dropped on me with no guidance (this is the same nurse who asked me during my post-D&C check-up if I was at my check-up due to a c-section). Sigh!

Anyway - I’m curious if others have had success with low AMH levels? Also, I’m confused how I was able to get pregnant 6 months ago if my AMH is so low. Have any of you had successful pregnancies followed up my low AMH levels?? I have a laundry list of questions for the RE, but would love any experiences others are willing to share.

Thanks and best to all of you!

THere’s a thread somewhere in here regarding “success with low AMH.” I obsessed over it for a few days too.

Found it…

http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/infertility-support-forum/2020213485-ivf-success-low-amh.html

Thank you so much!

I’m so sorry you have been waiting all weekend to hear about these results. I feel like that has happened to me over and over again, too! You get these scary sounding numbers, and then nobody is around to tell you what they mean!

While your AMH is not good according to all of the traditional scales, the fact that you have been pregnant several times is an excellent sign. This is a very new test and I’m not sure REs even know what to do with it. My RE always says “the proof is in the pudding.” If you are getting pregnant and have had children, you must still have some good eggs in there! And, as someone pointed out on that AMH thread, AMH apparently only measures quantity, not quality. So, some of your eggs must be acting as they should!

Have you had the other major tests done. Namely, FSH and antral follicle count? Those might help put your mind at ease. I’m guessing your RE might suggest IVF a bit sooner with your AMH, but if it has only been a few months, maybe not.

Best wishes, hang in there!

Hi! Thank you for the encouraging words. You’re right - these things always do seem to happen on the weekend! I had to do my baseline and follow-up hCG tests to confirm if I was having a miscarriage last year on the Friday before Labor Day which meant a three-day weekend of waiting.

I haven’t had any tests so far other than AMH levels by my OB/GYN. I am quickly learning all of these acronyms though and will definitely add the tests you mentioned to my list of questions when I meet with my RE.

I’ve only belonged to this community for a day and already it has been a wonderful experience. Thank you so much for your response and insight.

Wishing you all the best!