First vaginal ultrasound day 3 complex cyst

I am in a same-sex couple and we have started the information seeking and exploring our options to conceive. I will be the tummy mommy and therefore be the one who will carry and deliver our child(den). I am 27 years old and have never been pregnant or have ttc prior to this.

Today, I went for my first vaginal ultrasound and day 3 blood work. The technician said everything looks normal but a “complex cyst” was found. Has anyone experienced this before? I had 19 follicles in one ovary and 26 in the other, are these numbers within the normal range?

Hoping for some peace of mind without waiting until Wednesday for my HSG X-ray and consultation.

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard the term complex cyst…no.

Sounds like you have a great antral follicle count though!

Are you planning on starting with IUI or?

I’m trying to stay off google because the only thing I can find in regards to “complex cyst” is ovarian cancer and since I had an ultrasound last month in regards to pain and discomfort and didn’t find anything I’m assuming that is not the case.

So my numbers are within the normal range? This is great news. Yes we will be doing IUI using donor sperm. This has yet to be chosen yet as it all seems unreal. Going through profiles and choosing based on past medical conditions and physical characteristics. Seems like a pretty big decision!

That AFC number is a little high. It shows you could have PCOS. Antral Follicle Counts, Testing Ovarian Reserve Predicts IVF Response

If you do in fact have PCOS i can see why you have a cyst at CD3. Do you know what your bloodwork said? Maybe an E2 number? My RE says complex cyst are just normal cyst. Nothing to worry about. Plus sometimes girls just have cyst. I know i have them from time to time on non-medicated cycles. I get them more often when i do medicated cycles.

Goodluck with your HSG. I had one a few years ago before my first IUI to make sure my tubes were open. No use doing IUI if the sperm can’t reach the egg.

I don’t have the results from my blood work and won’t get until after my HSG on Wednesday. I hope I don’t have PCOS and that all my baby making equipment is in good working condition!

What is E2 and RE? Sorry I’m a newbie and still don’t know all the acronyms yet.

Also, what was your experience with your HSG? I’m super anxious about mine :-S

MissingMy#2 - very excellent point I didn’t think of…and should have considering I have PCOS…that would explain the cyst but I’ve never heard of my cysts being called “complex”.

Melex - if it’s any hope to you I know from another board a same-sex couple that is PCOS and did IUI with donor sperm and had GREAT success. She did have to use some injects I believe to assist egg production - so it wasn’t a fully natural cycle with just IUI I think she did an inject cycle with IUI then donor sperm. Her LO is adorable!

Even if you’re PCOS don’t worry. It’s fairly common and can certainly be helped with fertility treatments!

[QUOTE=Melex]I don’t have the results from my blood work and won’t get until after my HSG on Wednesday. I hope I don’t have PCOS and that all my baby making equipment is in good working condition!

What is E2 and RE? Sorry I’m a newbie and still don’t know all the acronyms yet.

Also, what was your experience with your HSG? I’m super anxious about mine :-S[/QUOTE]

E2 is estradiol and RE is Reproductive Endocrinologist

Hormone Levels & Fertility Bloodwork - Fertility Plus

Thank you :slight_smile: I did find the list of acronyms.

I know that PCOS is fairly common and know several people have had successful pregnancies with PCOS; however, I am still keeping my fingers crosses for uneventful results with everything fairly normal.

Sigh, I haven’t even selected a donor yet and already I’m stressing about the potential of becoming pregnant and have yet to do even one cycle of IUI.

[QUOTE=Melex]Also, what was your experience with your HSG? I’m super anxious about mine :-S[/QUOTE]

Mine was horrible. But don’t let that scare you. There are girls who have no pain or just a tad bit of cramping. However with me, i was in so much pain i almost kicked the RE in the face. :cross:

Of the 3 times I had a CD3 ultrasound, twice a cyst was found. Both times they disappeared at some point in the cycle. I’m not sure if a cyst was found the third time because a major issue came up with a tube that kind of trumped everything (likely a side effect of an earlier surgery).

I have PCOS as well.

Thanks ilovemydog! The RE said not to worry about the cyst because its probably just because my body is getting ready to ovulate but we can monitor it if I’m really worried about it.

All the other result came back within the normal range!