Follistim and Menopur - best price?

Hi Ladies,

I’m scheduled to start stims for my very first IVF cycle on 01/06. Since we are totally OOP for IVF, I am trying to shop around for at least the stim meds.

The pharmacy that my RE sent the Rx to, quoted $1920 for 8 cartridges of Follistim 300IU and $1998 for 28 vials of Menopur 75IU and around $200 for the rest of the meds: antibiotics, Novarel, Ganirelix, Estrace and PIO.

When I looked up online, IVFMeds.com, seem to have the lowest price for Follistim ($1640) and Menopur ($1085) for the same quantity… around $1100 in saving!!

This seems to be too good to be true! When I researched online, I found that the meds are not shipped in an ice pack. Is that okay? I am guessing I won’t be able to claim this as a tax deduction; would I be able to claim it from my FSA? I know it’s legal to get it from them since it’s for personal use.

Appreciate your responses…

Check ivfpharmacy as well – they are cheaper than ivfmeds if you order the 900iu vials. I got my meds there and they are the same as you get in the US, just packaged differently.

Hey There

Hey check your PM, I sent you a message. :slight_smile:

Hey I used my FSA to help with med costs my first IVF, the second IVF I did not have any left :(. Also from the research I have done it appears you can write off the cost of your meds on your taxes.

also check your PM

I used IVFmeds with success. Their meds are packaged differently than US but the same nevertheless. They have excellent customer service if you need to call them. I just wish I would have known about them for my 1st cycle. They saved me over 50%

Good Luck!

Thanks for the responses, Ladies… you guys are awesome!!

Eirlis, Ivfpharmacy quoted 1912 for the Follistim (8) and I was confused about the Menopur pricing. It said 75IU was $353!!! I hope it’s a typo, else it’s almost 10 times that quoted by ivfmeds!!

Olivia, I hadn’t signed up for FSA this year as I didn’t expect to need fertility treatments and otherwise DH and I are healthy as horses. :stuck_out_tongue: And since I need the meds by 01/06, I’m planning to purchase early and won’t be able to use next year’s FSA. Anyway, will use up all of it when I pay for the IVF on the 4th.

Emma, it’s good to know you had a good experience with them. Did they send the Follistim in a cold pack? Does it need to be?

I want to purchase and receive the meds by 12/22 before I go out of town to spend Christmas week with family. :pray: :pray:

Thanks again, everyone!

I use Prosperity Specialty Pharmacy

through my RE’s office.

They called all my rxs in for me.

You won’t find the price list on their site and I don’t have my sheet with me, but give them a call because I know my Menopur and Lupron was cheaper through them.

[quote=HannahInWaiting]Hi Ladies,

I’m scheduled to start stims for my very first IVF cycle on 01/06. Since we are totally OOP for IVF, I am trying to shop around for at least the stim meds.

The pharmacy that my RE sent the Rx to, quoted $1920 for 8 cartridges of Follistim 300IU and $1998 for 28 vials of Menopur 75IU and around $200 for the rest of the meds: antibiotics, Novarel, Ganirelix, Estrace and PIO.

When I looked up online, IVFMeds.com, seem to have the lowest price for Follistim ($1640) and Menopur ($1085) for the same quantity… around $1100 in saving!!

This seems to be too good to be true! When I researched online, I found that the meds are not shipped in an ice pack. Is that okay? I am guessing I won’t be able to claim this as a tax deduction; would I be able to claim it from my FSA? I know it’s legal to get it from them since it’s for personal use.

Appreciate your responses…[/quote]

One thing to note- is that the 300IU cartridges are overfilled by usually around 100IU-125IU, so for every 3rd, you are actually getting one “free” which is why my Dr prescribes the 300IU cartridges. I would not order the 900 ones, since while they are overfilled too, they are not overfilled by 300+IU! Go with the 300IU for your best value.

Alexander Twin In Trenton, Nj Is By Far The Cheapest Place For Follistim, I Check Almost 20 Different Pharmacies In The Us And No One Could Beat Them. For The 300iu It Is $250. For The 600iu I Tninh Is It 490.

Thanks sgetek, pluwextra and disneygirl.

I was planning to go with IVFMeds.com as I was saving $1000 with them! But when I asked my case manager for the Rx to send it to them, she said she won’t give it for pharmacies outside US as it is illegal. Bummer! The IVFMeds folks say that since it’s for personal use and they are getting the Rx, it is legal. :grr:
Well, I am back in the shopping game.

So, I am going to be calling the following pharmacies and I’ll put up a spreadsheet here so that others benefit too:

1. Prosperity Specialty Pharmacy
  2. Alexander Twin
  3. Freedomdrug.com
  4. Mandells Pharmacy
  5. Freedom Pharmacy - I am not sure of the website?
  6. CVS/Caremark Fertility Managed Plan
  7. Schraft’s
  8. Rosemont Pharmacy

Please let me know if there are more suggestions.

I’m going to be calling in for the following:

1. Follistim 300IU
  2. Menopur 75IU
  3. Ganirelix 250mcg syringe
  4. PIO 50mg/ml, 10ml vial
  5. Estrace 2mg

:pray:

One thing to consider…gonal-F and follistim are interchangable per my RE. For my last (& successful cycle) I used both. Freedom pharmacy had a special on gonal-f and my clinic gave me some free follistim. Don’t forget to ask it they (the pharmacy) are running any promotions. Freedom has a program that will give you $500 of gonal-f for a 2nd cycle if needed and Schref’s had a savings card a couple months ago (pay $25 and you saved I think $100 on every $1000 spent). Also, as one of the other posters mentioned, get the 300 IU pens if you can. Good luck.

Thanks Emma.

So, I called all these places. Caremark seems to be something that can only be used by folks with a specific insurance that uses them. I couldn’t find the website for Freedom Pharmacy… wonder if it’s the same as Freedomdrug.com.

Anyway, this is what I got: [ATTACH]65025[/ATTACH]

Looks like I am going with the pharmacy recommended by my RE’s office after all! So, with these 3 and all the rest of the medications and supplies, I am looking at roughly a $4100 bill. Isn’t it fun to be OOP. :expressionless:

Menopur is $35 for 75 iu at IVFPharmacy. =) Also, if you buy your follistim in the 900iu vials, it’s discounted. Great list!

Well, duh! I kept thinking there must be a typo there in their price list!!! Now I realized that it’s clickable and when I clicked, I found it’s $353 for 10 vials!! Thanks for correcting me, Eirlis.

Anyway, my RE’s office won’t give prescriptions for pharmacies outside of US. After all the shopping around, have decided to go with Disco Rex Pharmacy here in Palo Alto. It may not be the cheapest, but it’s not too bad and it’s conveniently located for me.