Follistim V. Bravelle - does it affect quality?

Hello everyone!

Is there an advantage to Follistim or Bravelle?

I’m 43 and have begun my final IVF attempt. Most likely starting the stims April or May.

Here’s my day 3 bloodwork. (I don’t know much - so would love opinions on this too)

AMH 0.63
FSH 10.6
LH 6.5
Estrogen 73

My RE’s plan for me on this IVF is Bravelle and Menopur and Ganarelix.

I have done 2 IVFs. One with Lupron and Follistim and One with Bravelle and Menopur and Ganarelix.

I had a successful IVF about 4 years ago on lupron and follistim. Had about 11 eggs retrieved and 9 fertilized and 5 made it to day 5 blastocyst and 3 of the 5 were A’s and A/B’s. So pretty good quality. Though I was 39.

I had an unsuccessful attempt last year on Bravelle and Menopur. Had 9 eggs retrieved and 5 made it to day 5. The quality was not very good though…only 2 were blastocysts grade A/B or B’s and the rest were slow growing and made it to the Morula stage.

My question is - does anyone have any knowledge or experience on if Follistim or Bravelle are better for an older person? My RE says it’s my choice. She says there is no difference. So I’m just trying to decide which to choose! I have insurance so it doesn’t matter on price.

I am looking for quality not quantity…i think, right?

Thanks for you opinions!

Bravelle and Follistim are the same thing (FSH), just Follistim is synthetic. I haven’t ever heard any debate over which is better or worse for any particular set of recipients (although Bravelle is considerably cheaper).

Menopur is both FSH and LH - some feel Menopur helps with egg quality for us older folks, some feel Menopur hurts egg quality for us older folks. My RE feels it helps.

EDITED to comment on your blood work:
Your AMH is very low, but probably right on target for your age. Your FSH is pretty high, but again, probably in keeping with your age. Your estrogen is high – I’d ask about that. My RE said that they need estrogen to be less than 75 in order to accept your FSH numbers as accurate, but 73 is really close to that 75 cutoff – on day 3, the lower the estrogen, the better.

see my sig…i responded much better w/ folli

[quote=essemkay]Bravelle and Follistim are the same thing (FSH), just Follistim is synthetic. I haven’t ever heard any debate over which is better or worse for any particular set of recipients (although Bravelle is considerably cheaper).

Menopur is both FSH and LH - some feel Menopur helps with egg quality for us older folks, some feel Menopur hurts egg quality for us older folks. My RE feels it helps.
[/quote]

Pretty much. Follistim is made by genetically modified cultures of Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) cells. Bravelle is purified from the urine of post-menopausal nuns.

Opinions vary regarding which type is best.

My first RE said there was no difference, my second RE shied away from Bravelle and insisted she had occasional hiccups with patients using it so she only recommended Gonal F or Follistim. You can see from my sig that it made no difference which I used so who really knows…