Free meds....what would you do?

I am 44…I have just completed 3 rounds of clomid and didn’t make more than one follie each time. I was going to try Femara (because I have an unused trigger shot) for a last ditch effort next cycle, knowing that I probably won’t make more follies to trigger on that, either. I O on my own, so the goal here, at 44, is to make more follies.

I cannot afford injectables, hubby has said no to that cost. But…a friend has some menopur and a 900 follistim pen she will GIVE me. It’s an answer to my prayers.

So…what would you do? I am working with my OB who only does one ultrasound at CD11…that’s probably not enough with injectables, right? If I call an RE and tell them I can afford one 900 follistim pen…do you think they’d be willing to work with me?
I don’t know how to handle this, but I do NOT want this opportunity to get away. Any advice?

Dee

i would find an RE in your area, call there and ask to speak to their nurse. keep in mind that we nurses have lots of access to free meds! most nurses in fertility clinics know of patient assistant programs, rebate programs, etc. for example: fertilitylifelines dot com is the home site for gonal f. they have a program where if you get a script for Gonal F 900mg, and fill it through Freedom Pharmacy, your out of pocket cost is just a couple hundred dollars. you may be lucky to get a nurse who also has access to freebies that other patients have donated to their clinic. so your one does could turn into several. give it a try. even if worse case, they can’t help you with meds, they will likely help you with the one round.

Thanks. I called and made an appointment with an RE. I was afraid there would be a bunch of red flags for them if I said I had my own meds…she said she couldn’t say for sure what the Dr. would do, but she didn’t see a problem with it. I didn’t actually say a friend gave them to me…I just said I had extra meds I was hoping the Dr. could help with and not have to buy more…I couldn’t get in until what would probably be CD3…so I will already have my Femara script started from my OB.

I’m hoping they can tell me how much follistim to take and monitor me with ultrasound…I’m afraid they’ll ask where I got the meds if I haven’t been on them before. I’m sure they won’t like the fact that someone gave them to me…not sure what to do about this detail.

Any ideas how to handle this?

I called the nurse helpline at Fertility Lifelines today and explained my situation. She said it was wonderful my friend would donate meds to me and didn’t believe a Dr. would care at all! I hope she’s right. I called the RE’s office back to check if I could get in sooner…and they had a cancellation Friday the 5th. So that’s in time for NEXT cycle! I so hope they can work with the meds I have for my next cycle. Fingers crossed!

I seriously doubt an RE would care if your meds were donated from a friend. After all, many of their patients donate meds back to them to be given to strangers when they are done. I’ve done it.

good luck to you! I hope your RE help you out.:babydust:

Thanks, Jencat. I’ll be interested to see what they tell me at my appointment.

On that note, trying to be as educated as possible, I’d like your guys’ opinions.

Would you personally do (or have you done) Femara with injects OR just injects? You’d get more follies with straight injects, yes? At 44, I’m assuming you don’t really have to worry too much about over stimming. But the meds would go farther if you just added some to Femara…or does Femara add anything to the mix as far as getting follicles?

I’m hopefully soon will have a 900 IU follistim pen and some menopur and am trying to figure out the best way to use them. I don’t want to waste it–I can’t afford to buy more. Any insight?

With an IUI they won’t want you to have too many follicles no matter what your age. I did Clomid (basically the same as Femara) along with Follistem and I was successful. My stats are in my signature. They told me I only had 1 mature follie, but I am pregnant with fraternal twins (and my E2 level was 962) so some of the smaller ones were clearly mature. Not sure if that was a result of the combination of drugs, or just something about me.

Good luck. Hope the RE can help you get the job done. Any maybe you will have enough drugs (between what you have and anything they can help you with) for a few cycles if you need them.

With an IUI they won’t want you to have too many follicles no matter what your age>>>>>>

I would assume it’d be the same for timed intercourse, then. Do you know how many follicles they’ll allow for an over 40 gal–I’m 44. I’m pretty sure I don’t have to worry about overstimulating no matter what I took.

I have a 900 IU follistim pen and some menopur…do you think that’d be enough with femara to get decent follies?

Do you guys think that 900 IU of Follistim and 5 doses of menopur is enough for a couple of cycles? I know it’s hard to say, never having been on them. I was hoping with Femara, it might last 2 cycles.

Or do you think one could use all of that up in one cycle?

Yeah, I know…it’s just hard b/c I don’t HAVE a protocol. LOL! Just curious how much it took some gals and how many eggies they got. I know everyone is different.

How often do you have blood draws to check the progress of the meds you’re taking…like can they tell after a couple of days if you need more or less, etc.

It has been a while since we did an iui but I recall that we did 150 of follistim a day for about 7 days. We had an antral follie count of 17… I hope that your re can help with finding more meds…

Good Luck!

but I recall that we did 150 of follistim a day for about 7 days. We had an antral follie count of 17… I hope that your re can help with finding more meds…>>>>>

When do they get an antral count? During the meds or before? I’ve heard of getting a baseline antral count before meds…

With an antral count of 17…how many mature follicles did you get? I see in your siggy that you transferred 6 blasts…but I’m not sure what all that means. Did you have more mature follies and then just pick the best 6? I don’t even know if I’m asking the right questions, this is all new to me. Thanks!

They did a baseline ultrasound before we started the meds. With IUI it is a bit different than IVF as they wait only until they have a good amount of eggs looking like they will be mature when they trigger. With IVF they want as many as possible to be mature. With our IUI’s we transferred about 5 each time.
The 6 embyros that we transferred were from IVF. They retrieved about 23 eggs, about 18 were mature, 17 fertilized with dh’s sperm. From that they waited 5 days and 6 had made it to the blastocyst stage looking good. Because of my age they transferred all of them knowing that we had a large drop out rate.

One pen may not be enough.

[quote=MamaDee]I am 44…I have just completed 3 rounds of clomid and didn’t make more than one follie each time. I was going to try Femara (because I have an unused trigger shot) for a last ditch effort next cycle, knowing that I probably won’t make more follies to trigger on that, either. I O on my own, so the goal here, at 44, is to make more follies.

I cannot afford injectables, hubby has said no to that cost. But…a friend has some menopur and a 900 follistim pen she will GIVE me. It’s an answer to my prayers.

So…what would you do? I am working with my OB who only does one ultrasound at CD11…that’s probably not enough with injectables, right? If I call an RE and tell them I can afford one 900 follistim pen…do you think they’d be willing to work with me?
I don’t know how to handle this, but I do NOT want this opportunity to get away. Any advice?

Dee[/quote]

First, I don’t think any Fertility clinic is going to care where you got your meds as long as they are in good condition. Meaning that the Gonal-F or Follistim has been refrigerated. If it has not the meds start to disintegrate and are no longer good after 28 days.

What that said. Everyone’s treatment protocol is different based on their bodies. For what little you shared it sounds to me that you have ovarian reserve issues due to age. Do you know what your FSH, Estrodial and AMH levels are??

See my sig line as we are not too far apart in age … For my first cycle the Doc had me on 600iu of Gonal F per day. Two shots at 300iu spaced 12 hours apart. I had three follicles from the meds. What that means is that I went through a pen every 1.5 days. I took the Gonal-F for 12 days … that was a little more than 9 pens… So I think having one pen isn’t going to help you too much.

Can you share more of your circumstances? Do you have insurance? Why does the hubby not want to spend the money? Can you apply on the Gonal-F website for drug aid? (They really do give you a discount!).

Regardless I hope you do not give up on your dream of being a mother to your biological child. I am in the same boat and even though family and some friends have given me lectures and a hard time I am still going for with what I desire and what I need to be fulfilled in this life.

:babydust: Here is some baby dust for you!:babydust: