Freezing Question

My DH and I are trying one more time for another child. He doesn’t want to try again if it is a BFN. My last cycle I had 8 embryos to chose from on day 5 but none made it to freeze.

I guess my questions are, why? Why couldn’t they have froze them on day 5? Has anyone told the lab they wanted their eggs froze on day3 regardless?

I was actually even thinking that if they were to get say 12 eggs, could they freeze 6 before insemination and just work with 6 eggs? Or even request they freeze the embryos on day 3? Why do they get to play God with MY embryos?

OK, that last question was a little dramatic.:nerd:

Any input would be appreciated…Thanks in advance!

i think my clinic waits so long because they want to make sure the embryo’s will make it thru the freezing, so my guess is if they make it past day 5 then they have a better chance of making it thru the freezing and thawing ya know?!?!

They won’t freeze the embryos if the quality isn’t really good, because when the embryos go through freezing and then thawing it takes a good embryo to make it through the process.

That was what I was told. :slight_smile: Some clinics freeze embryos more than others though. On my first cycle my clinic froze some of my 5 day embryos that weren’t of great quality, and well they didn’t work, so I had my hopes up for nothing. :slight_smile:

I would rather them be honest and not freeze them, if they think they won’t make it. If that makes sense.

Good luck! I hope you get your :bfp: ! :cheer:

The clinic I’m working with also does only Day 5 transfers and freezes (though I have read one poster here say that she knows someone for whom they did do a day 3 transfer, even though their stated policy is that they do day 5.) I’ve talked with the embryologist, and I know her belief is that if the embryo doesn’t make it to Day 5, it would not have resulted in a pregnancy anyway. I’ve also read a couple of studies that are pretty consistent with that – a lot of the embryos that don’t make it from day 3 to day 5 are chromosomally abnormal.

In terms of freezing eggs, my understanding is that that is quite a bit less successful. Embryos have a much better survival rate than eggs in terms of freezing, from what I’ve read. I don’t know if that applies to some of the newer vitrification freeze techniques, though.

I think it wouldn’t hurt to really dig into them about day 3 freezing. Maybe it’s like the clinic I go to, where they say they won’t, but if you push hard enough, especially if you had a failed cycle there, they might.

my RE freezes on day 2 which is also when he does all his transfers. He has a very high success rate. My DD is from a frozen cycle. Perhaps you can ask your RE if they can freeze yours on cycle day 2 or 3 instead of waiting. My RE is of the belief that embryos do better in the womb than in a lab so he transfers them as soon as he can.

Thank you for everyone’s input. I have done some research online and I think I will call the embryologist tomorrow and see if they do vitrification and see if they would even consider a day3 freeze. I think alot will depend on how many embryos I have also. I know the best make it…but I just am so afraid of the finality of a BFN…

My RE said recent research shows only 1 in 10 embryo can grow into a baby. It makes sense to freeze on day 5 so you have a better chance of a BFP with a FET.

I didn’t understand this either when we went through our first IVF. We had 20 eggs, and 13 fertilized. I thought for sure we’d get some to freeze. We did a 5 day transfer, and none made it to freeze. I didn’t find out until later that there’s only about a 30% chance of getting any to freeze (through my clinic at least). All clinics are different though. Not only do you have to freeze them, they have to survive the thaw.

As far as freezing eggs, it’s still considered experimental, so I don’t know that it’s done that much.

[quote=adwalker]My DH and I are trying one more time for another child. He doesn’t want to try again if it is a BFN. My last cycle I had 8 embryos to chose from on day 5 but none made it to freeze.

I guess my questions are, why? Why couldn’t they have froze them on day 5? Has anyone told the lab they wanted their eggs froze on day3 regardless?

I was actually even thinking that if they were to get say 12 eggs, could they freeze 6 before insemination and just work with 6 eggs? Or even request they freeze the embryos on day 3? Why do they get to play God with MY embryos?

OK, that last question was a little dramatic.:nerd:

Any input would be appreciated…Thanks in advance![/quote]

Not sure exactly what the situation was, but perhaps they wanted to see if the embryos would reach the full blastocyst stage and often that takes one more day (day 6). If they did not, then a clinic probably would not freeze them.

There would be no advantage to freezing those embryos earlier if they could not reach the blastocyst stage. Sure, you could have frozen them earlier, but if they lacked the viability needed to blastulate, then they could not make a baby and earlier freezing would just have been preserving a false hope. Better to know sooner than later.

Working with just 6 is pretty marginal and would reduce the success rate compared to using all 12. Again, if the extras could not blastulate, then it’s best to know now.