Fresh vs Frozen Sperm?

My DH has severe MFI and our RE at our previous clinic has always been against using frozen sperm in our cycles, but I was never really sure of the reason why. I was wondering if anyone’s RE has also said they prefer fresh vs frozen and what the reasons might be, especially for those with severe MFI? Could frozen with MFI effect fertilization rates with ICSI and/or embryo quality?

A reproductive endocrinologist told me that about 50% of sperm die from freezing so that may be reason why they prefer fresh – to maximize the number available.

My current RE uses ICSI and he says that before selecting the sperm, the lab makes the sperm swim up the gradient. They then choose from the ones that swim the fastest and the straightest which is about 1-2% of the sample. It is only after that they pick individual sperm based on morphology.

I would feel less concerned about frozen vs. fresh if your lab does something similar.

Thanks so very much for the info. Very helpful.

I’m not sure if that’s how our new clinic chooses sperm for ICSI. I don’t believe our previous clinic did this. We are with Cornell – anyone know, by chance?

[quote=SecretBabyWish]A reproductive endocrinologist told me that about 50% of sperm die from freezing so that may be reason why they prefer fresh – to maximize the number available.

My current RE uses ICSI and he says that before selecting the sperm, the lab makes the sperm swim up the gradient. They then choose from the ones that swim the fastest and the straightest which is about 1-2% of the sample. It is only after that they pick individual sperm based on morphology.

I would feel less concerned about frozen vs. fresh if your lab does something similar.[/quote]

We only have frozen sperm available, and it is epididymal sperm due to my DH’s missing vas deferens. So it’s the best he has, but not optimal in an IVF sense, BUT we have always had great fertilization success. One cycle was 60%, the next was 100% and the last was about 80%. Our RE doesn’t think there is any issue with the sperm being frozen.

Good luck!

We only have frozen sperm available as well. I got pregnant with my DD on my second round of IUI with frozen sperm. They told me it could take a little longer, but the numbers in each sample were great (<20m and about 40-50% motile) and it worked relatively quickly.

Conceiving baby #2 took a little longer, and we had 4 unsuccessful rounds of IUI. We didn’t want to waste any more sperm (we had 10 vials frozen at the beginning), so we decided to move onto IVF.
We had a great IVF cycle. Since the sample was frozen, they chose to do ICSI on 15 of the 18 eggs retrieved. Of those, we had an 87% fertilization rate and ended up transferring one blast (resulting in my current pregnancy - 21w5d) and freezing 6 additional blasts.
I have heard that they prefer to use fresh samples, but even after being frozen for 8 years, our frozen samples performed just fine!

Violet5 and Rubes731 – Thank you both for sharing your stories. Your fertilization rates are very impressive, frozen or not!

[quote=designgirl]My DH has severe MFI and our RE at our previous clinic has always been against using frozen sperm in our cycles, but I was never really sure of the reason why. (He had said this to me while I was still out of it after ER!) In our situation, my DH has an extremely low count (ranging from 2 to 200,000!) with low-mid % motility. So his frozen is not like frozen donor sperm where the count and quality are top-notch.

For IVF #1 and 2 my RE had told us that only fresh was used. But, when I was speaking with the Andrology dept recently to inquire about transferring our 2 frozen backup vials to our new clinic for my upcoming IVF #3, I was told that one of them was used for cycle #1, so only 1 vial remains!! Although, I’m not sure if the vial was just opened and they thought they might need it, but didn’t or it was used on 1 egg or what. I do believe the majority had to have been from the fresh samples, since my DH had major count issues that day and was asked to provide 3 fresh samples. Unfortunately, this might stay a mystery since now I’m getting conflicting information and I am no longer a patient.

I should mention that the fertilization rate for both cycles was the same, with 50% of mature eggs. For cycle #1, the embryo quality was poor, with none reaching over 5 cells on day 3. For cycle #2, I did have one that was good at 7 cells and I know for a fact that no frozen was used.

So I was wondering if anyone’s RE has also said they prefer fresh vs frozen and what the reasons might be, especially for those with severe MFI? Could frozen with MFI effect fertilization rates with ICSI and/or embryo quality?[/quote]

I have no idea how MFI affects it but my husband has literally 0 counts after scarring over post-vasectomy reversal. We used frozen extracted sperm with ICSI and had 8 out of 9 eggs fertilize!