Frozen donor cycle - how many eggs fertilized/blasts?

I know this question is like a hot in the dark but I was curious about those of you who did frozen egg donor… how many of the thawed eggs fertilized and made it to blasts?

I am asking because I found a clinic that has the eggs in pairs $4,400 vs $13,000 for 6. Should we take a chance on 2 or just go for the guarantee program of 6 eggs and 2 blasts? We already have a son so not trying to have a ton of embies on ice.

[B]How many frozen egg?
How many survived the thaw?
How many fertilized?
How many blasts?
How many transferred?
Pregnant? how many babies?[/B]

Alicia

Our stats

We just did a frozen egg cycle in March. Currently 10 weeks pregnant, hoping for a baby in November. We went through My Egg Bank who are the leaders in egg freezing technology. They sell eggs in lots of 6. We got 2 extra as we were the first patients of their frozen egg program with their new affiliate (which has been our clinic for almost a year). I would say two might be too few. There are too many risk points in the process: thaw, fertilization, transfer plus a lot depends on the uterine environment at transfer, too.

[B]How many frozen egg? - 8
How many survived the thaw? - 8
How many fertilized? - 7
How many blasts? - 6
How many transferred? - 2
Pregnant? how many babies? - 10 weeks, 1 baby[/B]
[B]3 snowbabies on ice[/B]

[quote=sunrisec]I know this question is like a hot in the dark but I was curious about those of you who did frozen egg donor… how many of the thawed eggs fertilized and made it to blasts?

I am asking because I found a clinic that has the eggs in pairs $4,400 vs $13,000 for 6. Should we take a chance on 2 or just go for the guarantee program of 6 eggs and 2 blasts? We already have a son so not trying to have a ton of embies on ice.

[B]How many frozen egg?[/B]
[B]How many survived the thaw?[/B]
[B]How many fertilized?[/B]
[B]How many blasts?[/B]
[B]How many transferred?[/B]
[B]Pregnant? how many babies?[/B]

Alicia[/quote]

Alicia,

If you do not mind sharing, what clinic is that?

Thank you,
Lina

New Hope fertility in NYC

Recipient Costs & Requirements | New Hope Fertility Center

[B]Pricing for Egg Bank[/B]

[B]Six (6) Eggs: [/B]                 $13,000 payable in full when the donor is selected (includes fertilization)                                       	[B]Embryo Transfer: [/B]                 $2,400                                       	[B]Per egg cost*: [/B]                 $2,200 -minimum purchase of 2 required (includes fertilization)                                       	
            *Guarantee does not apply for purchases less than 6 eggs.

[quote=Lina12]Alicia,

If you do not mind sharing, what clinic is that?

Thank you,
Lina[/quote]

Hi,

I looked into New Hope before going to RBA and they were just getting into doing frozen eggs. I also found Dr. Zhang to be very sketchy in terms of their success rates. Never really got a straight answer.

Anyway, I was one of the unlucky ones that had 2 out of 6 of my eggs at RBA not survive the thaw. All four that that did survive made it to blast though. They threw out one of them though as it did not meet their standards.

Ask New Hope if they are guaranteeing 6 frozen eggs that will survive the thaw or 6 “mature” eggs. There is a difference which is something I found out the hard way. What happens if you buy two and neither or only one survives the thaw? What about if less than 6 survive the thaw? When I looked into their “guarantee”, they only guaranteed 1 blast. There was no requirement that it be a high quality blast. I owuld ask them that…what if you get an embryo that didn’t make it to blast until day 7? I would not want that one.

Hi -

We got 7 eggs. All 7 survived thaw. 6 fertilized. 2 made it to blast by day 5. One 4AB transferred and resulted in a beautiful baby girl, now 10 mo old. One 4AB frozen.

Good luck. Feel free to pm me too.

classic,

thanks for your feedback. Those are great questions that I will ask. My only concern with new hope is the lack of people who can confirm that they actually did a frozen donor cycle there and their experience. I find forums and threads on everyone else. RBA, CNY… not new hope. I did meet with them and it seems like what they do fertilize most of their “frozen eggs” fresh, i.e.: when the donor is cycling, freeze then transfer… so in reality it is not a frozen donor cycle but that’s what they are calling it.

Their shared, fresh donor program is actually the same cost but there is no guarantee with this option which makes me nervous. My other option is to do MYeggbank and go with one of their affiliates but it will cost me about $17k vs. $13k for new hope…

Ugggg I need to make some decisions.

Alicia

I was a patient at NH, didn’t use donor eggs so can’t say specifically but I don’t trust them. I would feel more comfortable with the other frozen egg banks. [U]I’m not saying they do this[/U], but at the time I always thought they were taking eggs from those cycling. There were things they did that were not above board so I question everything there. Look at the big picture when you make a decision, if four thousand is the difference between being able to donor egg and nothing, then there’s not a choice. But don’t base your decision on cheapest, pick the best place for you if you can. Just MHO.

Cjtx you are right. They seem to take most if their eggs from people who are cycling and fertilize before freezing. So it is not really a frozen donor egg cycle. I was not impressed with their SART results.

Alicia

I had 6 frozen donor eggs thawed and all 6 were fertilized. I also had PGD on the 6 embryos and only 4 were normal. These were 25yr old proven donor eggs and 2 were abnormal. That just proves even young donor eggs are not all perfect.

I have my transfer tomorrow, so I will know more details of the quality of all the embryos…but I wouldn’t take the chance with fewer than 6. We are only transferring one embryo and because of previous failures wanted to make sure we chose the most perfect one we could.

I go to West Coast Fertility in California and they have there own in house egg bank. It only cost me $10K for 6 frozen eggs, but I think they gave me a deal because of my 2 previous OE IVF failures. I think the normal price is $15K

thanks ladies. We decided to do donor, fresh. She is being evaluated by my dr today… fingers crossed…

Hi,
I suppose the reason most people use frozen eggs is due to cost, we all know IVF is expensive!
In general frozen egg donation programs are about half the cost of fresh egg donation programs- about $14,000 or so.
Of course as the cost is cut so much, so is some of the options that come with fresh donor cycles, like the nationality of the donor and how many eggs you receive.
Like people mentioned in the other comments, using frozen eggs (not embryos, this is a different process) is a relatively new practice, so the stats on how successful it is are not really available - yet.
Here is some more info on the advantages vs. disadvantages of using frozen eggs:
The Health Update: Frozen Eggs: Making Egg Donation Affordable