Gabriella or Natalia?

DH and I are expecting our first child in December (PTL, after 10 years of marriage). We are waiting to find out the sex. We are in agreement if it’s a boy, but can’t decide if it’s a girl.

Gabriella or Natalia

Our last name is hyphenated and totals 5 syllables. Since the baby is expected during Advent, I was thinking that Natalia would be appropriate and if we ever have a second girl, regardless when she’s born, we can call her Gabriella. Of course, the angel Gabriel is part and parcel of the whole Christmas story, even if the Annunciation doesn’t fall during Advent, so there can be a case made for Gabriella as well.

Dh wants to poll people to get a sense of what others think and why. So here’s your chance to weigh in http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Anilorka13ska,

I remember you on this board for a while back and I wanted to send you a big CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!

I love both the girl names you picked. Both beautiful. I suppose one thing to consider (as I’m sure you’ve already thought of), is what nicknames could be tossed on her. People might naturally hear Gabriella and want to call her “Gabby” and there might be nicknames out there for Natalia as well. However, that probably wouldn’t be as much of an issue until she gets older, and she could always correct people.

Isn’t deciding on a name so much better than going to the RE? Again, congrats on your baby.

I think they are both great names. I have always liked Gabby, short for Gabriella, or another cute nickname could be Ella. Natalia is also pretty, I don’t know anyone personally with this name. The only thing with Natalia, is that other kids might struggle to pronounce it when they are young, but I’m not sure that is really a big deal! Great name choices :slight_smile:

Both names are beautiful. I can tell you from an educator’s point of view, that Gabriella is fairly popular right now.

If you want a more unique name that isn’t popular, I say go with Natalia. If you have a middle name you want to use, then say that with the first name choice and see if you like one more than the other.

Also, a friend told me, practice calling the name out loud because you will call their name over and over in their lifetime! Thought it was a great tip!

Happy to see you are pregnant and things are going well! I’ve been on the boards a while and recall some of your posts!
Do let us know what you decide! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=dedication]I think they are both great names. I have always liked Gabby, short for Gabriella, or another cute nickname could be Ella. Natalia is also pretty, I don’t know anyone personally with this name. The only thing with Natalia, is that other kids might struggle to pronounce it when they are young, but I’m not sure that is really a big deal! Great name choices :)[/QUOTE]

Dedication! You’re having a girl! Congratulations!! SOOO happy for you!

Thanks, folks! We actually do not have a middle name in mind - that is part of our decision process though, trying on different (short) middle names on both to see which two sound best together. I’m also looking at the meaning of the names.

I haven’t been able to find a good website yet that would give me a run down of personality traits for different names, but my impressions are as follows (definitely in part based on the associations I’ve made with people I know with these names):

Natalia - feminine, creative, intelligent, poetic, maybe a bit reserved

Gabriella - feminine, social butterfly, talkative, and according to DH - tomboy (which he likes! He married me! lol)

I’m reserved and reflective, so I think I’m leaning towards the hope that if a name does affect one’s personality, that personality be closer to mine! lol. I know I can’t control that. It’s good to get this down to see where I’m getting stuck.

Oh, and I’ll be using Polish nicknames at home anyway, but I don’t want to choose based on that alone, bc that’s not the name the world will know her by.

I just wanted to say congratulations. You’ve been around a while and I’m happy to see that things are going well now.

I’m personally a fan of Natalia - in my circles it’s the less common name (mind you, my name isn’t the most common - I’ve only known a few people with the same name and we all happened to work in the same office). It also rolls off the tongue nicely.

All the best to you!

Thanks! Good luck to you, soon!

Personally, I’m really leaning towards Natalia, not sure why I ever questioned it bc it was a name I have had in mind for years. Suggested Natalia Gabriella to DH, but now he’s having second thoughts about how “strong” Gabriella sounds. That’s what we get for not having a go-to middle name!

I’m actually finally considering using our (DH and/or my) names as a middle name. The only problem would be to be consistent if God blesses us with another child in the future. But perhaps I shouldn’t try to micromanage so much and just cross one bridge at a time?

Just to update that we’ve reached a decision to go with Natalia :slight_smile: We ended up reverting back to the first + middle names for both girl and boy that we selected years ago. Not sure why I even messed with it in the first place! We shook on it and everything, so now we just wait to see which set of names we’ll need :slight_smile:

Thanks for weighing in.