Ganirelix before stims?

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Good Morning Ladies,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I am hoping that you all can help me understand my RE’s choice of protocolfor our second (and final) IVF.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I spoke with my nurse yesterday and I will be starting my BCP pills once AFshows up. I will do those for 21 days, wait for AF again, then on CD 1 I willstart Ganirelix every evening for probably 4-6 days. CD 2 they will do suppressioncheck (bloodwork & U/S). If everything is ok then I will start stims on CD3. I will be taking 150 Menopur in the AM and then 225 Menopur in the PM. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I am a very analytical person and I do trust my doctor but I just have neverseen anyone have this kind of protocol. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I tried to get the nurse to explain to me the “whys” of thisprotocol and she went off on a tangent about how I am PCOS, blah blah blah. Myfirst IVF wasn’t great, we ended up with only a few eggs and they weren’t thebest quality. And my AMH has gone from 3.7 (Jan 2012) to 1.5 (May 2012).[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]SO here are my questions?[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]1. Anyone take or have heard of taking Ganirelix before stims?[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]2. Anyone ever stim with only Menopur? [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]3. Anyone have any insight on the whys of choosing this combination?[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]If it helps here are some of my latest lab results:[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]AMH - 1.5[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]FSH - 4.4[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]LH -12.3[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]E2 - 85[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]AFC - 34[/SIZE][/FONT]

The pre-ganirelix was one of the ideas for preventing a lead follicle that we were going to try, but birth control pills worked for me.

Some REs feel that throwing a little LH in with the FSH (such as with menopur) can make for better quality eggs.

Good luck!!

I also started off with Ganirelix for both my cycles. Like essemkay said, the Ganirelix is to prevent a lead follicle from appearing, which could ruin your cycle.

The first time we tried IVF, I did BCP but we found that the BCP over-suppressed my system and instead of my usual 10-12 or so antral follicles, I was down to 2 or 3, so we scrapped that cycle and started new, with the Ganirelix approach.

I took Ganirelix again towards the end of stims to prevent me from ovulating before the retrieval.

I did ganirelix for 3 days before starting stims…it prevents lead follies and it worked in my case. All my follies stayed about the same as each other at each US!
Good luck…my little girl is 5months old tolday, currently nappiing in her swing!

Thank you all so much, it’s nice to know others have done this protocol and more so that it has worked.