Genetic testing?

Maybe it’s a little early to ask this question but I need to prepare beforehand in terms of costs and what the test will really mean for me. I had a chemical pregnancy during my last ivf cycle. The second cycle does not look promising either. I had 4 eggs, 3 fertilized with ICSI, 2 survived and did a 3-day transfer. Nothing to freeze yet again. RE said if it doesn’t work this time, we will do genetic testing. Can someone please tell me: What does it involve The costs What the results could mean to me Is the testing done on an embryo that they will eventually transfer? I am a poor responder and am already worried that my embryos will go waste during that cycle if they test on them If there is any genetic disorder that they discover, what is the remedy?

Welcome. There is a thread on here just for women going through genetic testing… I think the name of it is PGD, FET girls… You should join because it is all women going through the same thing. Genetic testing involves a biopsy of the embryo on either day 3 or day 5. Cells are removed and sent to a lab for testing. With a 3 day biopsy, a fresh transfer can be done on day 5. With a 5 day biopsy the embryos are frozen and transferred the following month. (Because by that point it’s too late to transfer the emby once you get the results.) The cost depends on the company you use and insurance doesn’t usually cover it. The results indicate whether the embryo is normal (which means good to transfer) or abnormal (which means can’t be transferred because it would not result in a healthy baby). The remedy if they discover the embryo can’t be transferred is that they don’t transfer it. If you are a poor responder you may have to do more than one cycle (embryo banking) to get enough normals to transfer. Have you and your Dr talked about remedies to improve egg quality? That would be something I would seriously consider if doing PGD. The more embryos you have the more likely you are to have some normals. Good luck!

If you will fo pgd, do array cgh onthe blastocysts because results are much more reliable since they take several cells to check as opposed to day 3 when onlt 1 or 2 cells are taken. Also, if you are planning for a new retrieval, start taking mitochondria energizer for at least a month prior to it. This helps cells development. Gl

The costs of genetic testing can be pretty pricey ($4-5K). If you are a poor responder, sometimes clinics will batch embryos from multiple cycles, which would probably make sense in your case. I have always been a poor responder and I was told by my doctor at CCRM and by 1 other consult that genetic testing did not make sense in my case. The problem with genetic testing on poor responders is that a lot of times the eggs for poor responders are more damaged in the stim process. Thus, it is better to put them back in day 3 because often they will not make it to day 5, which is what you need to do genetic testing (except for a polar body biopsy, which isn’t that reliable). So, I would be hesitant to push your embryos to grow past day 3.

I would get a second opinion and see if the other doctors think genetic testing is a good idea in your situation. My guess is that you just got unlucky on the embryos you had. Most people have more to work with, so someone who is a poor responder just needs to cycle more to have more embryos to choose from and in order to find the one lucky egg. You are young, so my guess is you are going to be able to get a genetically normal embryo and it is just a matter of time.

One caveat to what I said above, if you want more than 1 child, and have a lot of money to spend (or insurance), I would consider doing multiple cycles at a great lab that would have a great chance of getting your embryos to day 5 (like CCRM) and bank your embryos. I would do a couple of cycles until you get as many normals as you need and then do your transfers. This is an optimal scenario and most, including me, could have never afforded to take this route.

[QUOTE=daisyduck;n2606244]Maybe it’s a little early to ask this question but I need to prepare beforehand in terms of costs and what the test will really mean for me. I had a chemical pregnancy during my last ivf cycle. The second cycle does not look promising either. I had 4 eggs, 3 fertilized with ICSI, 2 survived and did a 3-day transfer. Nothing to freeze yet again. RE said if it doesn’t work this time, we will do genetic testing. Can someone please tell me: What does it involve The costs What the results could mean to me Is the testing done on an embryo that they will eventually transfer? I am a poor responder and am already worried that my embryos will go waste during that cycle if they test on them If there is any genetic disorder that they discover, what is the remedy?[/QUOTE]

facebook is a waste of time. Better to try and do something for the future generation like generating kids than gossiping or envying others on facebook :slight_smile:

HopingForTwins: Thx for the information! Congratulations for your good news!! :slight_smile:
Cosmo: I’ll ask my doctor about Mitochondria energizer… Thx for that info. Never heard that before. Am learning so much here. Is there any medication for improving egg quality?
Houston: No, I don’t have much money. Insurance doesn’t cover infertility in my case and have already spent out of pocket on 2 cycles. Embryo banking is something I don’t think I can practically do in the near future. Need to save money again!
I feel like I am getting a PhD in Infertility. I started with “How to get pregnant” forums, followed by “Conceiving issues”, followed by “Natural healing for fibroids, polyps etc”, followed by “IUI” forums, followed by “IVF” and now getting promoted to “PGD”. :thankyou:

I took mitochondria energizer self-initiatively after my dr mentionedthat sometimes embryos fail due to the low energy that prevents cell division. As for the egg quality, im outside that thank God but I will recommend you to check out my dr.'s website because he mentioned it there. He is a dr. Jeffrey Braverman reproductive immunologist. You will find him through the google. But whatever you take, you have to be regular with it plus a month prior to the er at least.

Thank you Cosmo! I’ll check it out!