Ghost - opinion on blast

Hi there,

I know you ‘are not a doctor’, but it seems from your posts that you know quite a bit about this process. My RE and embryologist shy away from direct questions about embryo quality. I get a lot of ‘it is great’ and ‘you never know what will make a baby’ comments. I transferred 3 blasts today, 2BB, 2BB, and 3AB. Obviously the 3AB looks the best, but what do you think? Do you think this is a fair quality blast?

Thanks so much

I found this site to be very useful in understanding blastocyst grading: IVF Blastocyst Pictures & Blastocyst Stage Embryo Grading Photos

My RE and the embryologist were very optimistic about the 3AA that I had transferred. Your 3AB is just a shade behind, so I am sure it has a good chance. A stage 3 embryo can change to a 4 very quickly. At both my transfers, the embryologist rechecked the embryos while I was there, and they had expanded to a higher number grade in just a few hours. The letter grades are more important than the numbers - so while 5AA might be considered ideal, your 3AB would be chosen over a 5BC.

My clinic doesn’t apply letter grades to grade 2 blasts, because they say you can’t really judge the quality when they are at that earlier stage of development. There is no telling how those will do. My grade 2 embryos turned into 5BA and 5BB by the time they were frozen.

In any case, your odds with a blast transfer are great! :cross:

I agree with the grades. The 3AB has a good troph, but a little less than ideal, hence the B grade. The ICM looks great, hence the A. It’s nicely expanded. The others are not expanded yet, but look like they should be pretty decent once they expand, but not quite ideal looking.

Your best chance is probably that 3AB, if its troph is good enough to implant and then form a good placenta. It may be implanting tomorrow morning. But your others have a chance also, and you just might get a multiple.

Just my opinion.

[quote=maryevelyn]Hi there,

I know you ‘are not a doctor’, but it seems from your posts that you know quite a bit about this process. My RE and embryologist shy away from direct questions about embryo quality. I get a lot of ‘it is great’ and ‘you never know what will make a baby’ comments. I transferred 3 blasts today, 2BB, 2BB, and 3AB. Obviously the 3AB looks the best, but what do you think? Do you think this is a fair quality blast?

Thanks so much[/quote]

thanks so much! I just wanted an honest opinion from someone who has a little bit of knowledge on the matter. I really hate it when I get non-committal answers from the people I am paying. I appreciate you taking the time.

I would not worry to much about about grades, it is just somebody looking at them through a microscope. The truth is in the pudding it is the chromasomal makeup that matters. When I had CGH testing done on my embryos it turned out that the 2 slowest growers ended up being the normal ones and the fully expanded “perfect” blasts were abnormal. My normal ones where 3BB on day 6.

thanks for the reminder. I know you are right, but it is so hard (for me) to let it go. I am such a control freak that during the 2ww the only thing that makes me feel better is frenetic googling and obsessing. :slight_smile: