Going to start Injectibles questions

Hi,

My fiancée and I are thinking about starting injectibles for her next cycle. We just got another BFN today. That was our third cycle with IUI WS and clomid. The last two cycles, she was on 100mg of clomid, and this last cycle she was on progesterone suppositories during the 2ww.

The advice from our doctor is to start injectibles and switch donors (we are using donor sperm). My fiancée is meeting with our doctor tomorrow for an injectible consultation.

Does anyone recommend any questions to ask?
We really don’t know much about injectibles at all, and we just want to make sure we are taking the right steps and ask the right questions and get the most helpful information.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

I don’t know what all your issues are as a couple, so I’m assuming that the RE is already sure that donor sperm is the right way to go for you and injectibles are the right next step for her. Has she been diagnosed with a fertility problem or is it unexplained?
I would make sure that your options are very clear. Ask what the possibilities are for this cycle–what is the expected length of time for taking the injectibles (that’ll be a wide range, but just see what the doctor says about it)? What monitoring will be done? Will you be using a trigger shot? What are the signs of OHSS and what should you do after hours if she notices any of them? (That one is if you didn’t go over that already with the Clomid.) What happens if an ultrasound or the trigger needs to happen over a weekend? Find out exactly how to administer the injections and what times you need to do them. I would try to ask as much as you can about the details of an injectible cycle. She should be monitored closely, and logistical problems can pop up. Also, for your own peace of mind, ask why the doctor picked that injectible (or set of injectibles) and what that’ll do to fix the problem. Finally, ask to speak with the clinic’s financial manager so you can talk with someone who knows about what costs to expect. If your insurance doesn’t cover it (mine doesn’t), you’re probably facing some pretty high costs, so you want to be ready for that. I was all ready to start my injectible cycle the next day when I ordered my meds, and the price was so much higher than the doctor implied, I just burst out crying right there on the phone. It was a rough day already and I had a million things to think about, and I was just totally blindsided. We were able to afford it, but the moral here is NEVER listen to anything a doctor says about the cost of medicine or procedures or appointments. They really, really don’t know, even if they think they know.

All that sounds like a lot, but you’ll find that after the first day, it’ll be old hat. Oh! The one thing nobody ever seems to be told is what do you do with all those needles when you’re done? The pharmacy should send you a sharps container, but you can’t throw those away (or at least, there’s usually a pretty steep fine and it’s just very dangerous). Ask the clinic what you’re supposed to do with that container, and if they don’t have a good answer, ask them to let you bring it back for them to dispose of. For us, not only did we not know, but the city made it almost impossible to find out.