Gonal F pens

Can anyone tell me with the Gonal F 900 pens if there is actually anything left over in the vial after you administer the 900 units? I’m trying to calculate how many I need to buy based on our given dosage in the protocol.

I’m counting every penny now that we are on IVF #4. Thanks ladies.

[quote=kaultra]Can anyone tell me with the Gonal F 900 pens if there is actually anything left over in the vial after you administer the 900 units? I’m trying to calculate how many I need to buy based on our given dosage in the protocol.

I’m counting every penny now that we are on IVF #4. Thanks ladies.[/quote]

I believe there is an extra 75 in each pen. You’re suppose to prime them but my RE said don’t bother and use the extra!

There will always be a little extra left in the vial. I was told by my nurse that you could always aspirate out what is left with a syringe to make a full dosage if you need to.

There is close to 100 left in the pen. It seems many people don’t know how to figure out what is left. You don’t have to aspirate it. If the pen is not empty, dial your dose and inject. When it is empty, you will not be able to inject. At that point, look at the dial and it will tell you how many units you STILL NEED to inject. Insert another cartridge and dial the amount that was left when the previous cartridge stopped injecting.

Thanks everyone. I figured there would be a bit left over!

There are 126 extra units in the 900 pens. Just deduct 37 units if you prime the pen.

My nurse told me the pen is only good 30 days after it’s been used the first time, though, so be aware of the expiration period when planning on when to use it. I had to throw out a partially full pen from our first IVF cycle because too much time had elapsed by the time IVF #2 rolled around. Good luck!

Would you consider using the multi dose vials instead of the pen? If so, a 450 unit vial actually has 600 units, so it could save you a lot of money. I think that is the best deal.

Posting here in case anyone else has questions about this. Just had this issue - needed to inject the last bit of gonal F from my pen, after I used 900 IUs.

I called my specialty pharmacy and asked them how many IUs are left in the pen after the 900 IUs listed, and was told that each pen has an extra 75 IUs. When I tried to fill it to 75, I only got 37.5. I’m assuming the other 37.5 was wasted when I primed the pen. ??

So that’s the deal! 975 units in each 900 pen.

The pen is fine if you keep it in the fridge

until it’s expiry date. It’s not true that it’s only good for 30 days! It stays in the pharmacy for longer than that and it has to get transported from the factory (in Europe the factory is in Italy and I live in London)! They get transported in lorries. I know where the factory is as my husband’s dad is Italian and know people who work there!
I took my pens home on a 2 hour bus journey in a heat wave!
My doctor said if you keep them in the fridge and let them get to room temperature before you need to inject. Also, if you need, for example 200IUI and you’ve got two pens with 100IUI in each you just have two injections instead.
I spoke to the pharmacist about storage and he said that if you keep them in the fridge you don’t have to worry about keeping them at room temp. (I had my first cycle of IVF in a heat wave, 2 months before that when I had my HSG it was snowing, now it’s pouring down and cold)! It MAY spoil if it gets too hot. But always inject it at room temp or it stings abit! I’ve got two pens in my fridge with 75IUI each that I’m saving up! Good luck with your cycle x

my experience is that you should use the 300 pens whenever possible, as each is overfilled - you will have to buy less that way- as for each 300IU pen you get up to 450IU! I found there was typically an extra 100-125 in each- so if you buy 1 900cartridge with an extra 75-100IU- you get a total of 975-1000 IU for the same price you can buy 3-300IU cartridges for a total of 1200-1350IU- yes, you will have an extra stick every other time, but so worth it for the savings! And no need to prime the pen according to both my pharmacist and nurses, you will be able to use more of your extra that way. I agree with mary evelyn’s post above- when the pen stops injecting, it will say how much you still need to inject, and just insert a new cartridge and inject the remainder.

Gonal F

[FONT=‘Comic Sans MS’][SIZE=3]As an update I wanted to post that my Gonal F pens have 75 units overfill. I used the 900 unit pen and the 300 unit pen. Each had 75 units overfill. Hope this info is useful to someone else who is purchasing their meds. :nerd: [/SIZE][/FONT]

Slightly unrelated- I got pregnant with expired Meds. They expired 9/12 and I used them 12/12. They still worked fine with no egg quality issues.