Half dose of Trigger shot anyone?

Anyone have experience with receiving a half dose of trigger shot to induce ovulation? Please write to let me know if you did, what the reason was and what the outcome was.
I am considering this, as I may be going down the road of “too many follicles” this cycle with Gonal F/possible IUI. Someone made the wonderful suggestion of asking for a half trigger as an alternative to having the cycle cancelled completely. I looked around a little but couldn’t find too much information online about a half trigger shot and what it’s supposed to be for. I want to be armed with info when I suggest this to my doctor on Monday.
Please help! I will be devastated if I have to cancel yet another cycle. ALL of my cycles have been cancelled in some way since I started treatment 5 months ago.

Half shot of Ovidrel or the 10,000 HCG shot? I think my RE mentioned that the Ovidrel contains less than a typical HCG shot like Pregnyl. Can’t recall exact # but I think 6,500??

I’ve heard of a lot of ladies doing half shot of 10,000 Pregnyl or other similar HCG shot.

Good luck with this cycle - I really hope it doesn’t get cancelled!

Well, I’m not sure. Someone suggested a half dose of the trigger shot, probably it would be the lower dose one – Ovidrel. Congratulations on your positive today!

[quote=ashelee]Half shot of Ovidrel or the 10,000 HCG shot? I think my RE mentioned that the Ovidrel contains less than a typical HCG shot like Pregnyl. Can’t recall exact # but I think 6,500??

I’ve heard of a lot of ladies doing half shot of 10,000 Pregnyl or other similar HCG shot.

Good luck with this cycle - I really hope it doesn’t get cancelled![/quote]

I have had a half does of the trigger for each one of my 5 IVF cycles and it seems to have worked fine. My doctor had me do the half because she was concerned that I would hyperstimulate with a full dose. She also said that in Europe most RE’s do a half dose now, seems like the US is stuck on the 10,000 units but that it isn’t necessarily any better.

Does that decrease the chance of OHSS because HCG (what the trigger shot is made of) can precipitate OHSS? Or is it because the half trigger causes fewer follicles to release?

[QUOTE=aeason11]Does that decrease the chance of OHSS because HCG (what the trigger shot is made of) can precipitate OHSS? Or is it because the half trigger causes fewer follicles to release?[/QUOTE]

I believe that it would actually do both. The trigger causes the final maturation of the egg and sends the signal to release, so a half dose would likely mean fewer mature eggs for retrieval. However, the benefit would mean decreased risk of OHSS. I had moderate OHSS (due to high # follicles, not because of high estrogen) and it was pretty awful. If your RE is in tune with this possibility and is trying to spare you from going through this, I would listen!

Thanks! I read somewhere that you need enough of the trigger shot to fully complete the final maturation process of the follicle before releasing. I think most REs are willing to cut the 10,000 hCG in half but not Ovidrel. You don’t want to compromise that final step with a trigger that is too weak.

If you decide to scrap this cycle due to overstimulation, you may want to try a combo of Femara or Clomid along with injectibles? Worked for me after overstimulating multiple cycles!

But I hope you don’t have to go down that road because this cycle will end in a BFP!!!

When you overstimulated before how many follicles did you have? Last cycle I had approximately 8 that were almost big enough to trigger. My doctor only likes to trigger if there are 3 or less! I may push for a trigger with 4, judging by all the others here who have triggered with up to 6 and then switched to TI rather than IUI and either not gotten pregnant or not had more than 2.

[quote=ashelee]Thanks! I read somewhere that you need enough of the trigger shot to fully complete the final maturation process of the follicle before releasing. I think most REs are willing to cut the 10,000 hCG in half but not Ovidrel. You don’t want to compromise that final step with a trigger that is too weak.

If you decide to scrap this cycle due to overstimulation, you may want to try a combo of Femara or Clomid along with injectibles? Worked for me after overstimulating multiple cycles!

But I hope you don’t have to go down that road because this cycle will end in a BFP!!![/quote]