Has anyone had OHSS moderate to severe? New here

Hi my name is Jennifer, I am new here just had egg retrieval yesterday, got 40 eggs of which 32 are useable,
Estradiol was 4000, scheduled to have embryo transfer on 12/15 but dr is really worried about moderate to severe OHSS. Just taking it easy the last two days and following the diet and drinking lots of fluids. When do you usually get the worst symptoms right away or does it take awhile?

Sorry I don’t know all the abbreviations yet.

[quote=boxerlvr82]Hi my name is Jennifer, I am new here just had egg retrieval yesterday, got 40 eggs of which 32 are useable,
Estradiol was 4000, scheduled to have embryo transfer on 12/15 but dr is really worried about moderate to severe OHSS. Just taking it easy the last two days and following the diet and drinking lots of fluids. When do you usually get the worst symptoms right away or does it take awhile?

Sorry I don’t know all the abbreviations yet.[/quote]

OHSS can arrive at two different points in time. If you were triggered with hCG, then hCG from the trigger can cause OHSS starting shortly after retrieval. This can last for several days, until that hCG is gone.

There is also a later onset, when hCG from implanted embryos can cause OHSS. This might start perhaps 6 or 7 days after your day 5 transfer, and could last for weeks.

It’s possible to have both, but usually if OHSS occurs following the trigger injection, then the doctor will cancel the transfer and freeze the embryos to prevent making it worse with the hCG from a pregnancy.

Were you triggered with hCG? Or Lupron?

hcg

I was triggered with 10,000 hcg, they were going to do lupron but they said my estradiol was still in the safe range of under 5000. Just got word that 28 eggs fertilized. How many usually make it until day 5 blasts about a 1/3
thanks for your help

I am sure that Ghost can give you the best answers on this matter.

From personal experience, I can tell you that I had severe OHSS (11lbs gained in 3 days, bilateral pleural effusions etc) and I had just 19 eggs retrieved and an estradiol of 1700 at the day of trigger. That time, it was a late onset OHSS. It lasted a few weeks (3 if I remember correctly) and it took a lot longer to feel better…

This time around I had the early onset OHSS and it was very mild. Just 3 lbs weight gain and just a little bloating. It went away about 8 days post retrieval.

So my assumption would be that you are at a higher risk for OHSS because of the amount of eggs retrieved and your E2 levels. Just monitor your weight gain and waist measurements and report everything to your RE. Maybe a freeze all and a FET later might be better for you. Just my opinion.

[quote=boxerlvr82]I was triggered with 10,000 hcg, they were going to do lupron but they said my estradiol was still in the safe range of under 5000. Just got word that 28 eggs fertilized. How many usually make it until day 5 blasts about a 1/3
thanks for your help[/quote]

With 40 eggs collected and a 10,000 hCG trigger, you have substantial OHSS risk. Watch for symptoms and report everything to your clinic.

Blast rates average 40-50% among fertilized oocytes in young patients, but it varies a lot. Some get 100%, some get 0. With 28 fertilized, you should be in great shape.

Thanks for all your input:)

Hi there! Congrats on your egg retrieval!! You are am egg makin machine! I had 33 retrieved and am about your age. I only felt reeeeeally bad the night of ER. My belly stuck out really far. After that day I just had normal bloating and uncomfyness. I also ate a ton of salty foods and drank only Gatorade and smart water for their electrolytes. I got pregnant from that cycle and the ohss never came then either. Good luck!!!

Oh and I had a 10,000 hcg trigger too

Thanks buckeyegirl918. Congrats:)

I had immediate problems after my last retrieval. That evening I was bloated and had shooting pains in my back and shoulders when I would breathe in. I wound up going into the ER that night and then to my clinic in the morning to have 2 cups of fluid drained.

I had 42 eggs that time. 19 fertilized out of 38 mature (I think). By day 5 we had 6 blasts frozen b/c of my OHSS. We did our FET 2 months later and got our BFP. This was my 4 th fresh cycle and I never expected all of this.

You may have alot more embryos at day 5 than we did. We never had a good track record and this was the best fert rate we ever had. Good luck.

I just got over what my doctor termed mild to moderate OHSS. They got 11 mature eggs from me and my E2 peaked around 2500 I think.

My OHSS started to set in 5 days after my 5 day transfer. IT basically showed up overnight. All of a sudden I looked 3 months pregnant, then the next day 4 months, and then 5 months pregnant. My belly was very swollen with fluid and at night I had a hard time breathing. Everything was painful - walking, sitting, getting up from sitting, getting into the car, riding in the car, etc. I could barely eat anything and felt full after 2 bites. If I over ate I felt even worse. At its worse it lasted about a week and a half and then started going away over about a 3 - 5 day period.

Its definetly not fun! The doctor said mine go so bad because I was pregnant. The hcg makes it worse. Definetly make sure to drink lots of water and gatorade. They also say to eat lots of protein. I found relaxing to be best. Seems like when I walked too much it made the swelling worse.

Hi,
I had severe OHSS. It started after retrieval and got worse everyday. Doc said it might be OHSS. A week later I couldnt even make my first beta appt because i was in so much pain. My stomach bloated to where i looked 6 months pregnant. I was nauseaous, dizzy, weak. Hurt like hell to stand, sit or lay. My doc said to come in immediately and since I already sent my hubby to work saying not to worry about me, my mom helped me get to the dr. He said by my pain i was probably pregnant since its gets worse if you are. 2 hours later he came in to congratulate me on a BFP. i was told to drink lots of sugary juices and eat protein. It didnt help though, 4 days after that i went back again on an emergency appt and had to be wheeled up to the docs office because i almost passed out in the parking lot. i couldnt walk one step. i looked 9 months pregnant now and he said he wouldnt be surprised it was twins since my OHSS was so severe. he stuck a big skewer like needle in me and drained 4 liters of fluid! i weighed 11lbs lighter in just an hour. severe OHSS was the 2nd worse pain ive ever experienced (first being simultanious corneal ulcers). …and the RE was right…it was twins.

I had 16 eggs and my estrogen was below 3,000. I have moderate late onset OHSS and am up in the middle of the night because the pain is so horrible. I weighed 110 pounds on a saturday and 115.4 pound by the next afternoon (Christmas). This is beyond horrible. My belly looks 5 months pregnant. My RE appt is in a few hours, the monday morning after Christmas. I am counting the minutes because this is torture.

From what I have read from your OHSS thread it takes WEEKS to get over this? Were you told of an increased chance of miscarriage with late onset OHSS?

This is what I wrote earlier on a thread I have with the women who all did IVF in dec with me… I will just copy it onto here because I am so sick I can’t write it again…

[COLOR=“Indigo”]
I don’t even know how to describe my day yesterday (its 12:12 am so it is technically Monday.)

I went from 110 pounds to 115.4, I can’t walk or sit up on my own, it is hard to breathe, I peed myself twice because of the pain, I sent my mom a pic of my abdomen and she cried and told me to get back in bed and not move an inch, the pain is beyond SEVERE & beyond description, I had extreme nausea and I threw up EVERYWHERE (which was SO PAINFUL). I am so surprised my RE didn’t tell me to go to the Emergency Room and I am surprised I didn’t go on my own. I guess because it is Christmas and I feel so guilty for ruining it- which is stupid.

I can’t sleep (obviously I am writing this) - I cant lay on a side because my belly is so big and hurts so much and my back is killing me from being flat on my back for so long.

I started getting symptoms of the OHSS on Thursday- the day my HCG registered and I felt nausea. I was under the impression that OHSS happened right after your ER! NOT EXACTLY! There is early OHSS (Right after the ER) and Late Onset OHSS which happens when you become pregnant and start releasing HCG. From what I read 97% of the time the women with late OHSS are pregnant with multiples which is interesting. It is RARE. From what I have found the chances of getting late OHSS are 2.7% and usually have to be admitted to the hospital. They say that all your fluids in your body and the fluids you drink go to fill your ovaries, around the ovaries and your belly and your kidneys can shut down- your urine will turn “tea colored” which mine was earlier but since returned to normal. It is hard to breathe- YES, I understand this one- the fluids start right below my boobs. You can have blood cots and you can have miscarriage. It happens mostly in women under 30 which is am not and mostly in women with low BMI which I have. Also, some data shows that if you have cysts you may be more likely. OHSS is classified into mild moderate and severe. Late OHSS like I have is almost always severe. I don’t think I have severe- because my urine is back to normal and I can type this to you right now my electrolytes must be okay- but I definitely have moderate.

I will be leaving my house in 5 hours (I have been counting down since yesterday 8 am) for my RE appt and I will tell you what they say. My most important questions: Does having this increase my chances to miscarry and how do we fix me?

I hope there is a medicine I take. At this point I don’t even care if they stick a needle in my belly and drain me. This is horrible.

My sweet DH got me lovely presents and I could barely open them. He cleaned up urine all over me, vomit EVERYWHERE and did everything for Christmas. I love him so much- Thank God I have him.

[quote=Fertility1]I had 16 eggs and my estrogen was below 3,000. I have moderate late onset OHSS and am up in the middle of the night because the pain is so horrible. I weighed 110 pounds on a saturday and 115.4 pound by the next afternoon (Christmas). This is beyond horrible. My belly looks 5 months pregnant. My RE appt is in a few hours, the monday morning after Christmas. I am counting the minutes because this is torture.

From what I have read from your OHSS thread it takes WEEKS to get over this? Were you told of an increased chance of miscarriage with late onset OHSS?

This is what I wrote earlier on a thread I have with the women who all did IVF in dec with me… I will just copy it onto here because I am so sick I can’t write it again…[/quote]

Soon as my RE drained the fluid i felt instantly better. Before my pain was at a 9-10 and instantly it went down to about a 4. The days following i felt better and better. Sounds like you just need to get the fluid out. i hope you are feeling better…i know the pain of OHSS and i feel for you.
:grouphug:

I had “moderate” ohss, but it sure did not feel moderate. I was in horrible pain pretty much right after my transfer. It was my first IVF cycle, so I knew nothing about OHSS and just thought it was normal post retreival pain. It was very painful for a few days and then gradually went away.

If you are pain free, then hopefully you are a lucky one :).