HCG for weightloss?

So I was at a holiday show this weekend and counted at least 6 “lose weight fast” booths. One of which used HCG to promote weightloss at a rate of up to 10 pounds in two weeks?!?! Made no sense to me as I thought HCG triggered your body to start reservoir fat for impending pregnancy? Maybe it causes nausea? Lol. But it made me wonder- I thought HCG was a restricted drug that you need a rx for, and which can be quite pricey? Anyone seen this before? I’m not considered it at all, just baffled by the many weightloss solutions out there that are too good to be true.

There is a lot of controversy over this particular diet. If you talk with a Doc they are likely to tell you it is a fad and to stay away from it, but I have also seem quite a bit of mis information regarding the safety of HCG.

SOme say that HCG is not safe to take because it can cause OHSS and thus is dangerous which is somewhat erroneous because in the low doses that is used for the diet the HCG would have little effect on maturing follie’s if any (the dose being between 125-225Iu daily).

As you know from being involved with IF the mega dose of 6500 IU’s w/ovidrel and 10,000IU’s w/novarel are perfectly safe and if OHSS were going to occur it would likely happen with to 10,000 IU shot so seriously not likely to happen with the does used on the diet.

However, you are correct in that HCG (at least here in the states) needs an Rx so…

What remains to be seen is evidence that it lives up to the claims of controlling appetite, loosening the bad fat, and ultimately long lasting weight loss.

Having said all that, Ask any user and they will all tell you it worked for them and will swear by it.

[QUOTE=ahhny]There is a lot of controversy over this particular diet. If you talk with a Doc they are likely to tell you it is a fad and to stay away from it, but I have also seem quite a bit of mis information regarding the safety of HCG.

SOme say that HCG is not safe to take because it can cause OHSS and thus is dangerous which is somewhat erroneous because in the low doses that is used for the diet the HCG would have little effect on maturing follie’s if any (the dose being between 125-225Iu daily).

As you know from being involved with IF the mega dose of 6500 IU’s w/ovidrel and 10,000IU’s w/novarel are perfectly safe and if OHSS were going to occur it would likely happen with to 10,000 IU shot so seriously not likely to happen with the does used on the diet.

However, you are correct in that HCG (at least here in the states) needs an Rx so…

What remains to be seen is evidence that it lives up to the claims of controlling appetite, loosening the bad fat, and ultimately long lasting weight loss.

Having said all that, Ask any user and they will all tell you it worked for them and will swear by it.[/QUOTE]

i’ve had friends who have done this (both male and female), and they purchase the HCG over the internet. it’s so crazy to me, but they do swear by it (as ahhny said). all of them lost (and have kept off, for over 2 years) over 50 lbs each.

Yes, I too know several who have done it (both male and female too) and ALL were successful with it and have kept it off. Some of them bought it online without an Rx and some got it from a clinic overseeing their weightloss.

The only reason I don’t try it is because I am TTC and HCG is contraindicated (dangerous while pregnant) and since you would not know if you were really preggo or not with the HCG in your system…
I suppose you could stop the shots several days prior to POAS’ing, but it is too much of a risk in my mind. So losing weight with Metformin and South Beach is my current way.

my friend did it and it’s my understanding that you do a shot of hcg and then do the diet portion…it’s something like 550 calories daily.

of course you’re gonna lose weight! you could starve yourself with the low caloric intake without the shots and get similar results…however keep in mind that a massive caloric deficit can cause cessation of ovulation… -a-