hCG level & doubling time

Hi everyone,

I’ve been checking this site since the day 1 of my first IVF cycle (unfortunately the failed one), and I’ve been getting information and emotional supports from lots of you!

Fortunately, I found out the current FET cycle was a success a few days ago! Now, I have a question about hCG level and possibility of singleton vs. multiples.

I transferred 2 frozen blasts and got BETA 179 9 days after the transfer. BETA increased to 499 today (11days after the transfer). So, my doubling time is approximately 33.8 hours. My RE told me that these numbers are within normal ranges and that there is no way to tell whether it is a singleton or twins.

I know it is kinda silly, but my car lease ends in 1.5 weeks and my husband and I need to decide whether we purchase the car or lease another car. If it was a singleton, we would like to buy the car, but if it was twins, we would like to lease a mini van. My dilemma is that my RE does not do another blood test or u/s until Dec. 1st, which is after the lease ends…

I completely understand that each person is different and that hCG level can vary a lot person to person. But, I would like to see whether doubling time of 33.8 hours is usually associated with singletons or twins, so that we can make up our mind about our car…

Can you be kind and post your hCG levels, doubling time, and whether you have/had a singleton or twins?

Thank you very much!

Hi, you are right, it is very different for everyone. I like to look at The BetaBase for averages across a large sample size.

For my fresh (singleton):
7dp5dt: 44
9dp5dt: 164

For my FET (unknown):
10dp5dt: 208
12dp5dt: 453

I was wondering if I had another singleton in there, but my RE couldn’t say for sure because they just don’t know until the u/s. I posted a question in the IVF forum about betas and each pregnancy and I got 1 response so far that a lady had a beta like mine and it was twins, then a much lower beta (like half) on her FET and it was twins again!

Dear bellybean,

Thanks so much for your reply! Our numbers and doubling time seem to be similar. So, I am very interested in what you get on the 16th! Please keep me updated!!

There is no way to tell. You will have to wait for the ultrasound. My initial betas were high–439 on 9pd5dt and then 1111 11pd5dt. We were worried about twins, but nope, just a singleton! So you never know. meanwhile I’ve seen people with twins with lower #s than mine were.

Dear hoursemom,

Thanks for the info. Wow, 11dp5dt and 1111 seems really high, and I would be worried about twins as well. As you said, I guess I have to wait for my us. I wish my RE conduct us a little earlier than Dec. 1!

Why not ask if you can get a sono earlier at 5 weeks to see how many sacs there are? I was so worried about twins that I had a friend scan me at 4wk6d. We saw just one sac, so I was able to breath a sigh of relief!
I know a lot of REs like to wait until 5-6 weeks for the first scan to see if there’s a heartbeat, etc, but certainly you can see stuff sooner.

HCG levels when pregnant with twins

I just went through IVF 4 weeks ago and we opted for a day 3 transfer of 3 embryo’s this time. Our first HCG level on Day 14 was 81, the nurse said that they were hoping to see an HCG level around 100 and that this was a little low and we would have to see if my levels double in 2 days. Day 16 my levels were 221, so they almost tripled in 48 hours.
I just went for my 7 week ultrasound and found out that at the time of this HCG test we were actually pregnant with triplets, unfortunately one of the babies stopped growing at 5 weeks. If I compare my HCG levels when I was pregnant with my daughter they were 246 on Day 16, higher than my levels while pregnant with 3 babies. So I have to say that from my experience maybe it isn’t the initial number but maybe more the doubling of that number that is more indicative of whether you are carrying multiples. I am really not sure I can only tell you my experience. I was in complete shock when I saw the 2 babies heartbeats and another sac beside them, I really never expected it given how everyone always comments on the initial number being a really good sign of whether you are carrying multiples. Just thought I would share my experience.
:preg:

[quote=Kokoro]Hi everyone,

I’ve been checking this site since the day 1 of my first IVF cycle (unfortunately the failed one), and I’ve been getting information and emotional supports from lots of you!

Fortunately, I found out the current FET cycle was a success a few days ago! Now, I have a question about hCG level and possibility of singleton vs. multiples.

I transferred 2 frozen blasts and got BETA 179 9 days after the transfer. BETA increased to 499 today (11days after the transfer). So, my doubling time is approximately 33.8 hours. My RE told me that these numbers are within normal ranges and that there is no way to tell whether it is a singleton or twins.

I know it is kinda silly, but my car lease ends in 1.5 weeks and my husband and I need to decide whether we purchase the car or lease another car. If it was a singleton, we would like to buy the car, but if it was twins, we would like to lease a mini van. My dilemma is that my RE does not do another blood test or u/s until Dec. 1st, which is after the lease ends…

I completely understand that each person is different and that hCG level can vary a lot person to person. But, I would like to see whether doubling time of 33.8 hours is usually associated with singletons or twins, so that we can make up our mind about our car…

Can you be kind and post your hCG levels, doubling time, and whether you have/had a singleton or twins?

Thank you very much![/quote]

Hi Kokoro,

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I just went through IVF 6 weeks ago and we opted for a day 3 transfer of 3 embryo’s this time (we have been through 3 previous cylces of a Day 5 transfer, one resulted in the birth of my daughter and the other two after her failed).

This cycle we got a BFP!!

Our first HCG level on Day 14 was 81, the nurse said that they were hoping to see an HCG level around 100 or higher and that this was a little low and we would have to see if my levels double in 2 days. Day 16 my levels were 221, so they almost tripled in 48 hours.

I just went for my 7 week ultrasound and found out that at the time of this HCG test we were actually pregnant with triplets, unfortunately one of the babies stopped growing at 5 weeks. If I compare my HCG levels when I was pregnant with my daughter to this one they were 246 on Day 16 and 520 on Day 18 - they doubled nicely. My levels on Day 16 were higher while pregnant with her than my levels while pregnant with 3 babies.

So I have to say that from my experience maybe the initial number isn’t a true sign of a multiple pregnancy but maybe more the doubling (or tripling rather) of that number that is more indicative of whether you are carrying multiples. I am really not sure I can only tell you my experience. I really can’t say that I have had any different symtoms this time when I compare it too being pregnant with my daughter, maybe a little more tired then I remember being with her and I could feel my uterus earlier than my first pregnancy but I just assumed it was because this was my second pregnancy. I was in complete shock when I saw the 2 babies heartbeats and another sac beside them, I really never expected it given how everyone always comments on the initial number being a really good sign of whether you are carrying multiples. Just thought I would share my experience. Good luck.

Do you think that they would let you extend your car lease by a couple of weeks :slight_smile:

:preg:

HCG levels while pregnant with twins

Hi Kokoro,

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I just went through IVF 6 weeks ago and we opted for a day 3 transfer of 3 embryo’s this time (we have been through 3 previous cylces of a Day 5 transfer, one resulted in the birth of my daughter and the other two after her failed).

This cycle we got a BFP!!

Our first HCG level on Day 14 was 81, the nurse said that they were hoping to see an HCG level around 100 or higher and that this was a little low and we would have to see if my levels double in 2 days. Day 16 my levels were 221, so they almost tripled in 48 hours.

I just went for my 7 week ultrasound and found out that at the time of this HCG test we were actually pregnant with triplets, unfortunately one of the babies stopped growing at 5 weeks. If I compare my HCG levels when I was pregnant with my daughter to this one they were 246 on Day 16 and 520 on Day 18 - they doubled nicely. My levels on Day 16 were higher while pregnant with her than my levels while pregnant with 3 babies.

So I have to say that from my experience maybe the initial number isn’t a true sign of a multiple pregnancy but maybe more the doubling (or tripling rather) of that number that is more indicative of whether you are carrying multiples. I am really not sure I can only tell you my experience. I really can’t say that I have had any different symtoms this time when I compare it too being pregnant with my daughter, maybe a little more tired then I remember being with her and I could feel my uterus earlier than my first pregnancy but I just assumed it was because this was my second pregnancy. I was in complete shock when I saw the 2 babies heartbeats and another sac beside them, I really never expected it given how everyone always comments on the initial number being a really good sign of whether you are carrying multiples. Just thought I would share my experience. Good luck.

Do you think that they would let you extend your car lease by a couple of weeks :slight_smile:

I want to reiterate that everyone is different. My brother has a set of twins and he said their betas were consistent with singletons and it turned out to be 2.

I had my first beta this time 10dp6dt and it was 350, then my 2nd beta was 12dp6dt and it was 900 - they found 2 sacks. I am 8 weeks pregnant now.

With my DS (IUI baby) my first beta was 2 weeks after trigger and was 73.6, 5 days later it was 524 and it was only one boy.

I wouldn’t go for an early u/s because if they DOn’T see anything it will devastate you and it may just be too early… I had that too many times.

Can you ask for an extension with the car decision? Say you have health issues to deal with?

So as you can see…

Horsemom had a HIGHER beta and doubling than me and its only 1… whereas I have 2…

there is no way to know until the u/s and still no way to know if it will stick until you hear a heartbeat (there is such a thing as vanishing twin)

Dear hoursemom,

I thought I about asking them to conduct early us, but I think I will wait until Dec. 1st. It is hard to wait, but there has to be a reason that my clinic waits until week 7… Thanks for your suggestion, though!

Dear cbaby,

Congrats on your BFP as well! I may talk to my dealer about extending our lease.

Dear jordana,

Yes, numbers can be all over. As you said, vanishing twins seem relatively common thing, so I will wait until week 7 us. Hopefully, I can extend my lease for another few weeks!

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Hard to say, you are right in the middle between high singleton beta and low twin beta. Mine were 331 at 15dpo and 820 at 17dpo. I’m going to take a guess and say 1, but I’d really be interested in knowing. Keep us updated and repost on this thread when you find out. The wait is agonizing! I wasn’t sure myself if I was having twins or 1, since my numbers weren’t crazy high as other’s I’ve seen.

Dear google_eyes,

Yes, the three-week wait is so hard! I am hoping that the time goes by fast since we have Thanksgiving in the middle. Visit with my in-laws may distract me a little :slight_smile: I will definitely repost when I find out whether it is a singleton or twins!

Please keep us posted! As you can see, anything can happen. And in my case it’s not even like I had a vanishing twin–just one sac from the start. And some people say the levels are higher with a girl, well, we are having a boy! So it doesn’t tell you anything than it’s probably a normal intrauterine pregnancy.
FYI, once your beta is >1500, you should be able to see something on sono. That’s why once mine was about 3000, I had my friend scan me.

Result!

Hi everyone,

I had my u/s this morning and found our I am having a singleton. Whew!..though twins would have been cute.

Thanks everyone for your earlier posts!

I had my u/s this morning and found our I am having a singleton. Whew!..though twins would have been cute.

Thanks everyone for your earlier posts![/quote]

Congrats on your jelly bean. Wishing you a healthy 9 months!! and a great and easy delivery!!!

Thanks everyone for your earlier posts![/quote]

Congratulations! :clap: