HELP! Different places to give PIO?!?!?!?!

Hi ladies - For those of you who have been doing PIO shots for a while, what’s the best place on your body for them (doctor approved)? I’ve been doing them since late April and I’ve been told to keep doing them until mid-July. PLUS I’m on the estrace pill, vivelle patch AND crinone until then as well. :grr:

Tonight, I had my final breakdown. :mad: I don’t think I can keep doing it - especially not in the hip area where my doctor originally suggested. I thought my RE nurse mentioned the top of my thigh (not sticking the needle in as far) but I didn’t know if that would be better than the hips/love-handles or not.

I know it’s all going to be worth it in the end but I know that my DH is getting tired of me breaking down crying every night.

Curious to know your thoughts on this! Thanks!

In the buttocks.

Hey Carolinatan22,
You are doing them in your hip? I was never instructed to do my pio shots there. My hubby gave them to me in my buttocks area. We would ice the area for a few minutes, he would give me the shot then I would immediately put a heating pad on it along with massaging the area for a few minutes. The heating pad kept the lumps away. My hubby would take a marker and put a circle around the injected spot so he would not inject that same area too soon. Alternate which buttocks you inject too. I was told to inject my gonal f into my thigh also but it was toooooo painful to do. I cried everynight when it was time for injections. When I went thru IVF I injected into my belly which was soooo much better. It is just finding what is the most comfortable. I can say it was all worth it! Good luck and if you need any further info do not hesitate to message me…

Hi,

Divide your butt cheek into 4 squares and give them in the upper outer square. You should have something to grab in that area, so you’ll be injecting into a softer spot than your hip. Not gonna lie, it still hurts a bit there, but you’ll definitely have more “cushion” so I’m sure it will help a little. Good luck :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=kremd75]Hi,

Divide your butt cheek into 4 squares and give them in the upper outer square. You should have something to grab in that area, so you’ll be injecting into a softer spot than your hip. Not gonna lie, it still hurts a bit there, but you’ll definitely have more “cushion” so I’m sure it will help a little. Good luck :)[/QUOTE]

Yup, that’s where I’ve been doing it (in those upper quadrants), however, I’m a “skinny” girl and I don’t have much cushion there. I guess I can try to aim lower and see if that helps.

I am pretty thin too and the nurse gave me 1" 22gauge needles which are much smaller and it helped a TON!! Also, you should be giving the shots in the upper outer quadrant but ABOVE the butt crack (sorry, no other name that comes to mind :slight_smile: It’s almost in your lower back. This time around was the easiest for me with those tips

I was on PIO for my first cycle and had a hard time with them. I am on them again for my FET and am having a hard time too. both my butt cheeks are sore. Esp when I walk. I know if I get a BFP I need to do this for the next 10 weeks! I will do anything for this baby. But they do hurt. and they are miserable.

I also use a 1" needle coz I am tiny also. that will def help with the pain. Heat Heat Heat!! Always remember.

[QUOTE=carolinatan22]Hi ladies - For those of you who have been doing PIO shots for a while, what’s the best place on your body for them (doctor approved)? I’ve been doing them since late April and I’ve been told to keep doing them until mid-July. PLUS I’m on the estrace pill, vivelle patch AND crinone until then as well. :grr:

Tonight, I had my final breakdown. :mad: I don’t think I can keep doing it - especially not in the hip area where my doctor originally suggested. I thought my RE nurse mentioned the top of my thigh (not sticking the needle in as far) but I didn’t know if that would be better than the hips/love-handles or not.

I know it’s all going to be worth it in the end but I know that my DH is getting tired of me breaking down crying every night.

Curious to know your thoughts on this! Thanks!

[/QUOTE]

Aww, bless you…It is so miserable. I would suggest heating the pio for a few minutes before you give the shot. It goes in much faster and easier! You can hold it for a few seconds under warm water. I am a small girl too(not a lot of space on backside to choose from) and my first ivf, the soreness got so back that I had to use a cane to get up and down with! I couldn’t even push the gas and break in the car. This time(round 4), I did alot of walking and squats to build those muscles, I start my stims on the 18th, so we’ll see if it helped. Good luck to you and I hope you feel better.:grouphug:

Not sure why you are on so many progesterone supplements but for my FET I did crinone only and that was plenty of progesterone support and I had twins.

Suppositories

Carolinatan22 - You might ask your RE if you can move to suppositories, especially since you are 6w. My clinic uses PIO but I requested suppositories and thankfully my RE agreed. I’m a huge needlephobe so the stress of working up to a IM shot every night was going to be too much.

Anyway, good luck to you and congrats on your :bfp: !

I’m on the brand name Prometrium (it works and absorbs better for me) which is progesterone suppositories and it works great for me, both pregnancies, ask your re if you could switch.

Thanks for all of the advice ladies! I already asked “what are my options” and my doctor is insisting on keeping me on the PIO because of me being a PGS patient. They said their success rates are much higher if I stay on them. I’m using a 22 gage 1.25" needle and they already compounded the ethololiate (?) oil down so I could just take 1cc instead of 2cc. I tried icing the injection spot beforehand (opposed to heat) tonight and it seemed to help and I didn’t even feel the needle go in. So I guess I’ll keep sticking with it unless someone swears that the top of the thighs are much better!?!?!

I will also add that it is MUCH better when it is significantly above the butt crack (agree with musicgal) and I’ve also found that it’s MUCH better when further towards the outside. Even if you’re in the right quadrant, I’ve found it can make a HUGE difference where the injection actually is. I always have them put X’s on my skin for me, but I found that my third round nurse placed the X’s in the best spot. Maybe you could ask a nurse to do that for you? My pharmacist recommends icing 10 minutes before doing the shot - it’s a long time, but it helps! Also make sure you’re not flexing at all! My pharmacist recommends laying on my tummy laying with my toes pointed in (pigeon toed) to avoid flexing. All these things have helped me a lot! I hope it starts getting better for you! Good luck!