Help.... Fertility meds and pharmacies

Hello All,
I am in need if a pharmacy where I can purchase cheap fertility medications. My insurance only covers the pills. It does not cover the injections. So I will need to purchase Progesterone in oil and the crinone 8% gel inserts for my FET.

If the FET does not work my hubby and I are going to go onto another round of IVF. Hopefully I will not have to move to IVF again but we shall see in September.

If anyone has any ideas where to start searching for cheaper meds please let me know. I am really starting to get finances together now.

Thanks to all of you which have always helped me through my fertility journey. I really enjoy talking to all of the wonderful people on here… Much baby dust to all of you! :grouphug:

Don’t know if they’re cheaper

I used Village Pharmacy they’re out of MA. I honestly don’t know if they are cheap, as my insurance covered it but I figured I’d just share where I received mine from.

[QUOTE=Chicago_Hopeful]I used Village Pharmacy they’re out of MA. I honestly don’t know if they are cheap, as my insurance covered it but I figured I’d just share where I received mine from.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply. I have been searching high and low for the meds. I checked freedom pharmacy and they wanted $990.00 for 56 crinone gel applicators and ivfmeds.com only wanted $330.00. What a huge difference! I may just get more of the progesterone in oil injections to save money since it worked out to be cheaper! I just hate all the shots but I just may have to do that!

Thanks again and best of luck to you! :flower:

Ivfmeds.com is good but it takes approx 3 weeks to receive. You may also want to look up fastivf.com they require a wire transfer but meds are received within 5 days give or take a day. They will pay for the wire transfer of $40. Best wishes.

I’ve used Village, Freedom, and Success all of which ship overnight. In terms of cost, I believe Village has the best prices. Good Luck!

Definitely call around, there can be a big price difference! Maybe ask your doctor if you need to take both the injections and the suppositories?

I use MDR Pharmacy, they are in So. California but ship overnight for free. Their cost of PIO (ethyl oleate) is $54 per 10ml vial.

I am not sure where you are at but if you have a local compounding center it might be way cheaper. Here in Phoenix we used Avella. I believe they are a chain but not sure how many states they cover.

Also, in my personal opinion I much prefer the PIO over the crinone gel. My RE doesn’t even use crinone based on some studies. The crinone gel gets gunky, gross and can cause irritation to your cervix. Added bonus is the PIO is so much cheaper than the inserts.

Good luck on your journey and may your first IVF be fruitful!

Rach

Thank you all for your replies! I am just trying to figure this medication expense out for the FET. I can only imagine the cost for IVF considering my insurance civered the meds last time. I have since changed insurance companies so all the injections would be out of pocket!

Best of luck to everyone! :flower:

chiming in… My Dr is switching his patients back to PIO. He says the most recent studies show a higher take home baby rate (ie not just higher pg rate) with PIO over crinone. AND PIO is so much cheaper. :slight_smile:

Hey New Englander,

Thanks for telling me about thec PIO. My RE kept me on it up till my nineth week then I went to crinone. I was told with PIO they can measure the absorption amount vs an insert which not necessarily absorbs into the body. Are you going to be taking the PIO the entire time following your transfer?

Yep - I will start PIO 5 days (I think) before transfer and continue until I get released to my OB… Being optimistic! :slight_smile:

We used a surro (our sis in law) for our fresh transfer, but our clinic exclusively uses prometrium and crinone NO PIO (I personally think it’s based on the RE’s preference, as mine also cited many studies that said it’s all the same, go figure) I ordered the crinone from inhousepharmacy.biz it’s overseas but I have never had a problem with them, took about 10 days or so to get the meds. it was around $170 for 45 crinone (this was late 2011- early 2012 when I purchased) prometrium was covered by insurance since it’s not specifically used for ivf. RE had my SIL use prometrium orally and vaginally in addition to the crinone. Best of luck!

[QUOTE=Jerseygyrl73]We used a surro (our sis in law) for our fresh transfer, but our clinic exclusively uses prometrium and crinone NO PIO (I personally think it’s based on the RE’s preference, as mine also cited many studies that said it’s all the same, go figure) I ordered the crinone from inhousepharmacy.biz it’s overseas but I have never had a problem with them, took about 10 days or so to get the meds. it was around $170 for 45 crinone (this was late 2011- early 2012 when I purchased) prometrium was covered by insurance since it’s not specifically used for ivf. RE had my SIL use prometrium orally and vaginally in addition to the crinone. Best of luck![/QUOTE]

Thank you soooo much for the pharmacy info. The crinone alone for 56 of them is going to cost us $880.00! That is pure sticker shock to me! When I saw $170 it was a relief that it can be found cheaper!

Thanks and good luck with your little one!:flower:

[QUOTE=kalika]Thank you soooo much for the pharmacy info. The crinone alone for 56 of them is going to cost us $880.00! That is pure sticker shock to me! When I saw $170 it was a relief that it can be found cheaper!

Thanks and good luck with your little one!:flower:[/QUOTE]
No problem! I just checked its actually $162! :slight_smile: I’m looking for my receipt because I think shipping is/was free. Don’t quote me on that though,Lol… Thanks for the well wishes, I’m starting to stockpile meds for our January FET :slight_smile: so I’m glad I saw this thread to jumpstart my getting ready! Looking forward to following your journey!

[QUOTE=Jerseygyrl73]No problem! I just checked its actually $162! :slight_smile: I’m looking for my receipt because I think shipping is/was free. Don’t quote me on that though,Lol… Thanks for the well wishes, I’m starting to stockpile meds for our January FET :slight_smile: so I’m glad I saw this thread to jumpstart my getting ready! Looking forward to following your journey![/QUOTE]

Keep me posted on journey journey as well. I will be looking for you on the boards… Best of luck and loads of baby dust!
:flower: