Help me gear up for PIO shots

We are getting ready for another IVF cycle to try for #2! We’re so excited but I am dreading the PIO shots. I hate shots generally but can handle the sub-q’s… but the IMs… Ugh. And my husband works erratic hours so last time I occasionally had to find someone else to give them to me, which will be harder to swing with a little one at home. Wondering if any of you manage to give them to yourself and if you can offer advice? I seriously don’t believe I could do it but may have to suck it up. I just remember the first time DH gave me one and I was soaked in sweat, I was so nervous.

Thanks! I know it will be worth it in the end (I swear, no pun intended).

If you have do it yourself, I would mark the spot and use a full-length mirror. Good luck.

Make sure you also put all of your body weight on the opposite leg. RELAX and BREATHE! I know it’s easier said than done, but if you’re muscles are tight bc your tense, it’s going to hurt more. I ice first, put the syringe in the heating pad to thin down the oil and put a heating pad on after.

I had progesterone in olive oil instead of sesame oil due to a known food allergy. I had zero discomfort during or after and never formed those little knots people complained about. After my positive beta, my RE switched me to weekly hydroxyprogesterone caproate shots rather then daily PIO–her regular practice for all her patients. I took if for the next 5 weeks or so. Weekly sure beat daily.

I did mine myself after the first week. I was terrified and sure I couldn’t do it but it was really not hard. There are several good videos on YouTube of people doing their own that really helped so I would recommend checking those out.

I propped the one hip up on the bathroom counter (not really sitting but kind of) so there was no weight on that leg and I could see the spot I wanted in the mirror. Then I just twisted around and jabbed it in. I am right handed and was really nervous about doing it on the left side but it was just as easy.

Dispense the medicine slowly. Then after you pull the needle out rub the area vigorously for about 5 minutes. Then sit on a heating pad for 15-20 minutes. I also iced for just 1 minute before the shot - don’t ice too long or the muscle will tense up. I don’t really think the icing was necessary but it made me feel better to do it, took some of the fear out of it I think.

The heating pad is a must - I was out of town a couple of days without it and tried just using a warm wash cloth. I definitley noticed a difference in soreness without the heating pad.

These were all tips I found on the internet and I never had any lumps or pain other than a little sore muscle type pain every once in awhile. Most of all try to relax as possible, if your muscle is tense it will hurt a lot more.

Good luck!

Hi!

I would recommend the Progesterone in Ethyl Oleate. It is a little more expensive, but a lot thinner. I had 1 vial of PIO in olive oil and that was awful, but as soon as I switched to the Prog. in Ethyl Oleate there was hardly any pain and the liquid went in much faster and easier.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone… and especially for the step-by-step, CMW!

well if it makes you feel better, i had to do it twice everyday, one in the morning and once in the evening!!!
i learned to NOT hesitate, just DO IT! the fast that needle goes in, the less it hurts…and at twice a day i needed every bit of courage i could muster up…good luck!!!