Help Needed

I am really getting upset with the nurse at my clinic. She seems to tell information way different from the RE. I have been struggling to decide how many embryos to transfer and she emailed me and told me if we transfer 1 or 2 there is the same implantation rate of 60% and if we transfer 2 a chance of twins is 50-60% but the Dr. said 40%. How is it possible to transfer 2 embryos and have the same chance as one? I want to scream at her!!! She keeps telling me stories about women losing multiples to discourage me and the Dr. recommends one but will transfer to and keeps his mouth shut…sorry to vent

The clinic I go to is big on sET, which we did w/my fresh cycle for DS. All the research I’ve read seems to support this as well. Typically, if and embryo has reached blast stage and has a greater chance of implantation, a lot of REs will prefer sET. If the embryos haven’t reached blast stage or are of lower quality, they will do multiples, since the chances of any of those embryos implanting are lower. We did 2 embies with both FETs, one ending in a chemical, and one in a BFN. My sET gave me my DS, for whatever that’s worth. Given your age, I’m not surprised that they may be pushing sET. Most likely, you have high quality embies that on their own each have a high chance of implantation. If you are comfortable with twins, then certainly push for it, but my RE told me flat-out once we got to 5 day blasts, he would only do a sET with my fresh cycle.

[QUOTE=luvbuggy7]I am really getting upset with the nurse at my clinic. She seems to tell information way different from the RE. I have been struggling to decide how many embryos to transfer and she emailed me and told me if we transfer 1 or 2 there is the same implantation rate of 60% and if we transfer 2 a chance of twins is 50-60% but the Dr. said 40%. How is it possible to transfer 2 embryos and have the same chance as one? I want to scream at her!!! She keeps telling me stories about women losing multiples to discourage me and the Dr. recommends one but will transfer to and keeps his mouth shut…sorry to vent[/QUOTE]

LuvBuggy- Your nurse is quoting a widely cited clinical trial, showing that with day 5, high quality blasts, your chance of becoming pregnant are the basically the same whether you transfer 1 or 2. The only difference is you have a 40-50% higher chance of twins when transferring two.

So it comes down to how comfortable you are with twins. Your nurse is right, there are more complications, there are more risks with a multiple pregnancy. Now there are plenty of women that carry twins with no problem so it is basically your call.

Having to debate this same issue myself, I was enamored with the idea of twins when we did our first IVF. We transferred two when the recommendation was one. After we lost one baby at 12 weeks and I experienced a very difficult pregnancy with a singleton, I was not that upset at not having twins. Add in two full time jobs and subsequently my DH and I have both been big advocates of eSet, especially with high quality blasts.

Side Note – With our 1st FET, we only had Morulas, on Day 4 and they were recommending we transfer two, I declined and stuck to only transferring one.

So basically your nurse is quoting accurate statistics, but you just need to add in that info to your decision making process and see what your are comfortable doing. Good luck with everything.

Pier

My second IVF, I had very sad looking embryos and my RE transferred two one split, I ended up with triplets. It was a really hard decision, but all the doctors were recommending reduction. I so wanted to be greedy and have all three, but I was afraid we were going to lose them all and elected to have one very healthy happy baby.

There isn’t a singel day that doesn’t go by that I’m not haunted by our decision.

Now we have been trying to have another since August…

Thx ladies, I appreciate the help. I guess I am very stressed over the situation. When insurance does not cover fertility issues it get sooooo expensive. I really want my DD to have a sibling close in age, and as soon as I finish my masters I will be going to work. So I guess we have no choice but to go with the sET unless they do not defrost well. Here’s to more stress :confused:

I know my RE would recommend one embryo transfer given your young age and greater chance of success. Because I was over 35 (age 39), I did an FET with two and ended up with a singleton. But I think given you had a healthy delivery your first IVF, that you are safe going with one. I know my doctor’s only reason for not recommending one embryo FET was because of my age (I had success with my IVF so she knew it was likely I could be successful again). Good luck!!!

[QUOTE=luvbuggy7]I am really getting upset with the nurse at my clinic. She seems to tell information way different from the RE. I have been struggling to decide how many embryos to transfer and she emailed me and told me if we transfer 1 or 2 there is the same implantation rate of 60% and if we transfer 2 a chance of twins is 50-60% but the Dr. said 40%. How is it possible to transfer 2 embryos and have the same chance as one? I want to scream at her!!! She keeps telling me stories about women losing multiples to discourage me and the Dr. recommends one but will transfer to and keeps his mouth shut…sorry to vent[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that’ s how things are when you’re dealing with more than 1 person. I’ve found the same thing. Frustrating how one person will tell you something and someone else will tell you something else-- whether at the dr or at your job.

The numbers they’re giving you sound like estimates only. It’ll depend on how well the embies survive freeze/thaw and their quality.

there is definitely a lot more risk involved in a twin pregnancy, but I’m not sure the rate of losing them both is that high. Once you get higher than 2, then the risks start increasing exponentially.

So a single pregnancy gives you the highest chance to carry a baby to full-term 40w, and take them home without any NICU issues.

I’m 30 and have a slightly low ovarian reserve and am setup for my first IVF in late January. My RE wants to transfer two embryos, and says we have a 58% chance of pregnancy, 43% chance of twins, less than 1% for triplets.

We’re ok with the thought of twins, but oh my gosh I don’t know about more than that. Optimistic02, my heart goes out to you, its hard to say not being in the situation, but I think I would have done the same thing.

My RE refuses to transfer more than one because I have a weakened cervix and because I used donor eggs. The more I learn about it the more it makes sense to me. The way he put it is, I have a higher chance of getting pregnant with twins than I do of having a healthy pregnancy if he transferred two, and that really put things into perspective for me.

With the new vitrification process for cryo, embies have a much better thaw rate now. I’ve thawed three so far and all three have survived. The first was a BFN, the second a chemical and the third I just got a BFP for so it remains to be seen.

1 Or 2!!!

Hello Ladies,

I really think it is a personal option between you and your mate in how many little ones they should put in. It is your money, time, happiness or heartbreak!!! I am a Surro Mommy and I see alot of Intended Parents that struggle with this same situation. For me, I tell the parents to put in no more than 2 due to me being 105lbs (before pregnancy) and 5’4". I know I could carry TWINS, but not TRIPLETS safely!!! So, I let them decide. It is up to the parents and no one else.

Health

When transfering one or two it really depends on your age and your health. I was a healthy 37 year old when I got pregnant with twins at 8 weeks mother nature took it to one healthy baby. The body works in mysterious ways and it’s always better to talk with your spouse about these decisions. What maybe right for one person may or may not be right for the next. If you are of smaller frame, I would probably think about one. We transferred two and mother nature took it to one. It’s all up to you and how you feel…