HELP-OHSS QUESTIONS-Cancelled Transfer

Hello all,
I knew this was going to come, because I was at such high risk…But about two days before my trigger shot, my doctor said we were going to postpone transfer for a few months and do a FET down the road because I was at a very high risk for OHSS (Produced, 25 eggs, I’m 23, thin, had over-stimulated in the past)

I triggered Friday, February 22 with HCG and had egg retrieval Sunday the 24th. I felt horrible for the two days after retrieval, but then started to feel a little better and therefore probably started to do a little too much. Ever since retrieval I was bloated and in discomfort, but around Friday, I bloated up even worse, was so distended and in pain that I couldn’t breath, and I gained about 5 lbs within two days. I couldn’t sleep, eat, or move, so finally yesterday I called my doctor and today I went in and had 2 liters of fluid drained from my abdomen.

My question is, will I have to go in and get the fluid drained again? It was an immediate relief when I had the fluid drained today, and I feel great now, but I’m afraid…will it come back? My ovaries are still swollen and tender, but I’m not the blimp that I was just hours ago…Since I’m not doing a fresh transfer? Should this fluid retention and pain stay away now? Is the OHSS gone or does it have a chance to come back? I am now 10 days past my trigger shot and 8 past my retrieval…
Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

[quote=bmbrink316]
I triggered Friday, February 22 with HCG and had egg retrieval Sunday the 24th…

My question is, will I have to go in and get the fluid drained again? It was an immediate relief when I had the fluid drained today, and I feel great now, but I’m afraid…will it come back? [/quote]

Maybe. But your hCG levels should be near zero by now. The accumulation of fluid should stop soon.

My ovaries are still swollen and tender, but I’m not the blimp that I was just hours ago…Since I’m not doing a fresh transfer? Should this fluid retention and pain stay away now? Is the OHSS gone or does it have a chance to come back?

Once it ends, it cannot come back. That’s because you did not have a fresh embryo transfer, so you will not have any implanting embryos to make more hCG and sustain your OHSS. The follicles that are causing your OHSS will die (literally die) when there is no more hCG or LH to support them. This is called luteolysis, and it’s also what follicles do in natural cycles when no pregnancy occurs.

In your future cycles, there will be no way to cause these follicles to resume making the hormones that cause OHSS.

Awwwww I am so sympathetic to you . I just went through the same exact thing however my fluid was in my abdomen but was also around my lungs and it was so much it constricted my lungs from expanding and I could not breathe. Went to the ER had a doctor’s appt the next day but I could no longer take it!! Went to the ER and there I remained for about 5 days . My ovaries were very enlarged 13 cm !!! When the average size is 2-3 cm. I was so bloated and I too have PCOS and I am too petite. It was the worst feeling I ever had in my LIFE!! I was miserable. So my RE told me it would be best for me to freeze my embryos and then wait to do my transfer until April…I could have done it as scheduled but he STRONGLY recommend me to wait because if I had gotten pregnant it would be so so so so BAD!! So even though I wanted to do my transfer I took his strongly recommended advice froze and postponed. It should not come back, according to my RE he said I would not have to go through it again. I don’t even have to take any more meds besides my prenatal vitamins, baby aspirin and Metformin.
My cycle just came so I am on BCP and will be for about 2 weeks

They probably will need to drain the fluid and I’m pretty sure u w feel 100000000 times better. Good Luck and I hope u feel better!!

Did your RE put you on a high Sodium or Protien diet? Keep your activity level to a minimum. Drink enough electrolytes (Gatorade). Try to urinate as much as possible.

I was told I would be at risk for OHSS therefore after ER I will be given an injection of Lupron and continue with a high sodium / protien diet.

I believe some of the other gals had to go in twice to drain the fluid but I’m sure it differs from woman to woman.

Also a FET is a good choice. It’s better not to risk it. Plus I’ve heard OHSS worsens with a BFP. I hope you feel better soon.

My doctor didn’t say anything about a particular kind of diet. He did say to drink powerade though, so I have been drinking powerade zero and only that. I’ve cut out caffeine and all regular water. As for food, I’ve just been eating like I normally do which is very healthy. Grilled chicken, turkey, salads, a fiber granola bar here or there to try to move things along bowel wise…I definitely don’t have the appetite I usually do…
Even though, I just got the fluid drained this morning, I have a strong feeling I might have to go back in by Wednesday or Thursday and have it drained again, because I can feel some water retention coming back.

This will stop once the HCG is out of my system, correct? It is causing me severe pain and anxiety and I can’t even go to work because of it. I have shooting pains radiating from my back into my neck and shoulders because of it…
Anyone else have experience with this or anymore advice?

I had 2 liters drained once and all the fluid was back within 36 hrs. Draining for me was very painful, they couldn’t give me much for pain because in was PG with my twins. Drink drink drink! Lots of Gatorade and water…eat lots of protein. It will pass very soon. To me a 2nd drain was not worth it because of the pain stress and risk of infection. Best of luck!!

Did you only have to get a 2nd drain,because you were pregnant? I took a pregnancy test to see if all the HCG was out of my system, and the test came back negative. I’m thinking since I did not go ahead with my transfer, and all the drugs SHOULD and seem to be out of my system finally…I should be in the clear and not need a 2nd drain, correct? Or am I wrong?
Also, this might sound dumb, but I do not ovulate and never get periods on my own…so since I did not do a transfer, should I still expect to get a period soon. I am 9 days after my retrieval now and 11 after my HCG shot.

I refused the 2nd drain. The fluid will go away on its own PG or not, it just holds on longer if you are PG, mine took several weeks. It was very tough.