Help-what would you do?

Hi Ladies,

I would love some opinions regarding my situation. I had an IVF cycle back in February which resulted in 8 5 day embryos. We transferred 2 and I had a chemical. I went on to have 2 FETs from the same batch and both were chemicals. I’ve had a ton of testing done and the only thing I’ve been diagnosed with is mild hypothyroidism (I’m being treated) and mild endo (removed). RE doesn’t know if it was a bad batch of embies, or it’s my uterus.
I have 2 choices. I can either try another FET with the last 2 embies, or I can go for another fresh cycle. The issue is that we are OOP and the FET is 5K and the fresh is 12K.
Would you abandon the last 2 embies and go for the fresh? Or would you try one more FET? I don’t want to leave those last 2 snow babies in the cold…but what if it is indeed a bad batch?
I’m so torn!!!

Thanks in advance!

I’m sorry for your chemical. I had one in May, so I know how you feel. Chemicals are really so common though, so I don’t know if it’s a bad ‘batch’, I don’t know if anyone could ever say for sure. ARe you doing 3dt or 5dt ? What was your linings before transfer? Were you taking medrol and tetracycline? Are they doing assisted hatching? Maybe if you did a 5d, try a 3d? I’ve heard of women who have done the opposite and gotten pregnant. ie-those who didn’t get pregnant with blasts, but did get pg with 3d embies. Good luck :wink: btw it costs 5K for a frozen? that is a lot. My clinic charges around 1800 for a frozen cycle.

[quote=Sadie987]Hi Ladies,

I would love some opinions regarding my situation. I had an IVF cycle back in February which resulted in 8 5 day embryos. We transferred 2 and I had a chemical. I went on to have 2 FETs from the same batch and both were chemicals. I’ve had a ton of testing done and the only thing I’ve been diagnosed with is mild hypothyroidism (I’m being treated) and mild endo (removed). RE doesn’t know if it was a bad batch of embies, or it’s my uterus.
I have 2 choices. I can either try another FET with the last 2 embies, or I can go for another fresh cycle. The issue is that we are OOP and the FET is 5K and the fresh is 12K.
Would you abandon the last 2 embies and go for the fresh? Or would you try one more FET? I don’t want to leave those last 2 snow babies in the cold…but what if it is indeed a bad batch?
I’m so torn!!!

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Hey Sadie,

I’m sorry again that you had another chemical… I also had a chemical for my 1st FET and with the rest of my embabies this time around I finally got my BFP. I wouldn’t abandon the embies you have left, but you could always do another fresh cycle and add the new frozen ones to your others… That way you won’t really be getting rid of them, but saving them for later :flower: Good Luck! =) Keep us posted

Hi Sadie- If it was me and I only had 2 5 day embies left frozen I would elect to pay for a fresh cycle and keep my 2 frozen for later. Mainly because in the thaw I would be concerned that only 1 or maybe even none would survive. I just did an FET and had 4 day 5 embies left. They were frozen in pairs and from the first vial only 1 survived so they thawed the remaining vial and both survived (one of better quality). I knew that I didn’t want to do a single transfer again and wanted at least 2 transferred.

What was the grading quality that they gave to the remaining 2 embies? That may also make a big decision for you.

Good luck and you decide what to do next.

Aloha-

I was in your shoes too a few years ago. IT took 6 times for us. We do have a DS now and it took time. I did follow a certain protocal the last time that I do pass on to everyone and it has seemed to work for most. Please try Accupuncture for 2 months before your next FET. Find a Eastern Medicine one not Western. Listen to a positive mantra everyday about fertility. You can download one. Stay away from caffine, and dairy. No ice or ice cream. Keep your feet warm. Day of FET have accupuncture before and right after. Stay in bed for 3 days. Eat pineapple core for 5 days, cut the core out only and divide into 5 parts. Drink grape juice for the 2 months and 2ww and stay away from any ice food. Eating grapes for months inadvance and after is good. DO NOT eat watermelon, it can cause miscarriages. Drink fertility tea in the morning 2 months before and rapsberry leaf tea at night. Drink pregnancy tea during your 2ww and raspberry leaf tea. Being positive has a lot to do with it too. I will be praying for you. Oh and also I’d have my RE do 2 embryos next time. Keep that womb warm too. :pray:. I had 3 :bfn: from the same batch.

Itwillhappen-lol, I’ve literally done nearly EVERYTHING on your list this past FET. The only thing I didn’t do was the pregnancy tea, but I did the raspberry leaf. I also did acupuncture, pineapple, grape juice, no dairy, feet warm, womb warm, etc. I even talked to the picture of my blasts every night, as silly as it sounds.
Also, my RE does transfer 2 each time. 3 straws, 2 in each. If both thaw correctly with the last straw we will transfer 2 again.
I think we are going to try one more FET with the last 2 blasts. I need to give them a chance. I’m not doing Lupron this time, just bcps, estradiol and PIO. Also baby aspirin and steriods. Praying that our baby is in that last straw.
Thanks!

If it were me, I would give the last babies a chance too. I think you will always remember what if. Also it this works you won’t be out the 12-15K for the fresh cycle. My IVF clinic is high on FET too, about 4K before the meds. I am praying this will work for you and that you get TWINS!! Keep your head up!

Sadie,
Don’t know if you’re still checking this thread, but as the self-proclaimed Queen of Chemicals, I wanted to share what happened with me. On my last fresh IVF (which was actually attempt #3), we wound up transferring 2 and had 10 frozen. The cycle ended in what was thought to be a chemical at first, but then the baby continued growing for another 8 weeks or so before I miscarried. We then did a FET using 3 from the same batch, which ended in a chemical. Right away we did another FET with the batch and I became pregnant with triplets. One died off at 8 weeks, but the 2 in me are doing great, and I’m 14 weeks now. We have 2 left as well, and even with twins, we don’t think we could abandon them and have decided to pay for another year of storage. It’s a personal decision, but in my “bad batch” I had 2 perfect ones, so you never know! Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I actually just found out the grade of the last 2 embies. They barely made the cut for freezing, 3aa and 4cc. The last 6 were all 4aa with 1 4bb. This doesn’t make feel very good about another FET. Now I’m even more confused. It just stinks because I don’t know if it’s my uterus or the embies. My re won’t even test for elevated natural killer cells and she doesn’t believe in steroid therapy. You would think Yale would be a little more cutting edge.