High FSH/Low AMH

So i got my latest labs back from my RE and my FSH was at 11.3 and my AMH was 0.6 Thats a terrible AMH right??? Gosh, i never thought at age 29 we would have to use an egg donor. I am at peace with that aspect, because i pretty much know thats our only route , just that im still really disappointed that we cant make it go with my OE. Anyone else have such low AMH??? Thanks

Here’s a link that shows what AMH results you are in AMH Fertility Test, Anti-Mullerian Hormone

Also, last time i had cd3 bloodwork done i had a elevated FSH at 32. Mine was 9.6 but my E3 was 46. My RE said that while it worried him it could be higher due to the E2 being higher. But he didn’t do AMH bloodwork on me. He just checked my AFC instead. Antral Follicle Counts, Testing Ovarian Reserve Predicts IVF Response

Also with you results i say you are far far away from having to move onto egg donor. I’ve seen girls with results way worse than yours go onto have natural children with IVF.

Sorry to hear about your frustrating test results. I know the sickening feeling that accompanies bad news on the phone!

The proof is in the pudding, though. If you are responding to stims, it doesn’t really matter what your AMH is, right? I was the opposite situation. My AMH was 6.7 but I barely was responding at all to meds. So the AMH doesn’t always mean anything.

I hope you have a LO in your arms soon! Sorry again for the bad news :frowning:

Hi!! Sorry to hear about your results. I don’t know what my FSH is but my AMH is 0.2 and I am 34. I was devestated with the results. We could not afford to do IVF so we are tryng naturally. My doctor went aggressive with my first treatment and put me on 250ml of follistim and I produced 8 huge follicles and a ton of smaller ones. They cancelled my cycle because I had to many and he didn’t want to put me in danger. He said I would of been great for IVF. So this cycle I am on 150ml of Follistim and I go back tomorrow to see what they are doing this time.

I would ask your doctor if you can go aggresive and try IVF first before going to donor eggs. I think you need to see how your body responds to the meds first.

[quote=missingmy#2]Also, last time i had cd3 bloodwork done i had a elevated FSH at 32. Mine was 9.6 but my E3 was 46. My RE said that while it worried him it could be higher due to the E2 being higher. But he didn’t do AMH bloodwork on me. He just checked my AFC instead. Antral Follicle Counts, Testing Ovarian Reserve Predicts IVF Response

Also with you results i say you are far far away from having to move onto egg donor. I’ve seen girls with results way worse than yours go onto have natural children with IVF.[/quote]

I hate to be negative, but this is not correct. Elevated estradiol levels suppress FSH values…not increase them. Actually, this is even spelled out under the FSH section of the website you reference. I’m the perfect example of this… My FSH is anywhere from 3.7-8.7. Unfortunately, my estradiol ranges from 85-192 (most recent). Therefore, my “normal” FSH is far from ok!

Secondly, all children are natural…regardless of how they are conceived! To imply that a child conceived with donor eggs is somehow not natural is really insensitive…

The best ovarian reserve testing combines AMH, FSH, Estradiol, and AFCs. Frankly, the best test of ovarian function/preformance is IVF. RD has been through an unsuccessful IVF cycle…and I’ll bet her doc was aggressive.

The decision to use donor eggs is hardest decision I’ve ever made in my life, but after 2 IVF cycles on maximum stim doses and throwing the “kitchen sink” at me…I know donor eggs are right for my husband and I. Best wishes RD with whatever you decide!

[QUOTE=lucyddr]I hate to be negative, but this is not correct. Elevated estradiol levels suppress FSH values…not increase them. Actually, this is even spelled out under the FSH section of the website you reference. I’m the perfect example of this… My FSH is anywhere from 3.7-8.7. Unfortunately, my estradiol ranges from 85-192 (most recent). Therefore, my “normal” FSH is far from ok!

Secondly, all children are natural…regardless of how they are conceived! To imply that a child conceived with donor eggs is somehow not natural is really insensitive…

The best ovarian reserve testing combines AMH, FSH, Estradiol, and AFCs. Frankly, the best test of ovarian function/preformance is IVF. RD has been through an unsuccessful IVF cycle…and I’ll bet her doc was aggressive.

The decision to use donor eggs is hardest decision I’ve ever made in my life, but after 2 IVF cycles on maximum stim doses and throwing the “kitchen sink” at me…I know donor eggs are right for my husband and I. Best wishes RD with whatever you decide![/QUOTE]

I was just going on what my RE has said. I didn’t read the whole webpage. Just posted the link. But thanks for the info!

Secondly, i am so sorry my choice of the word natural hurt anyone. I didn’t mean it like that. I made a poor choice in words. I should have even used that word when talking about girls going on to have bio children. I am truly sorry for it.

Im not offended, i have thick skin!! lol!! I know you meant Bio children. IF we had insurance coverage or more $$$ we would try again, but we dont. So, we need to make the best possible financial decision… and that decision is probably going to be DE.

Yes, i have been thru an unsuccessful IVF and they DID “throw the kitchen sink” at me also in the way of meds. My RE was really surprised how much Follistim it took to get my 7 follies. BUT… because of my age he thought my chances were better than someone who had my #'s who was older. ( i was 24 at the time.)

thank you for the kind words everyone. Just having a bad day. I thought maybe my AMH would be fine and my FSH was just a glitch?? I know thats not the case now. I guess i had hoped that my #'s would’ve came back either somewhat better, or just plain terrible. Then there wouldnt be that… maybe it can work, with the right meds, the right conditions, etc, it [B][I][U]COULD [/U][/I][/B]work. But we cant gamble on chances again. we did that the first time and emotionally i cant do it again. Which is why we Adopted our son. It was a forsure thing for the most part and that was the best decision we had made. Its just depressing a little but i think we have some options going for us. Thanks everyone!!!

Your AMH and FSH are not that bad. There are plenty of woman on here and other boards that are pregnant with worse stats including myself,those are QUANTITY not QUALITY tests. Furthermore the 3 RE’s I have seen do not test AMH because it is fairly new and it’s prognostic value is yet to be fully understood. I say given your age you should give your OE another shot, we are alomost the same age and I am pregnant with twins, my numbers where highest FSH 19, AMH 0.2, Estrogen 65. It took me three doctors but the last one finally got it right.

Your AMH has nothing to do with your egg quality, age does and you are very young. You can definitely get pregnant using your own egg, it may take a while. Do not give up and don’t worry about DE yet; you’ll have plenty of time for that if it becomes necessary. Good luck!

When I was going the medical route, I had a really hard time with the numbers. I felt like I was constantly thinking about my lab results and it was beginning to consume me. This article has been really helpful in terms of putting things into perspective and giving me some sense of hope: Low AMH and Pregnancy

Best wishes!!!