High normal amniotic fluid question

Hi, I’m freaking out. Had my growth measure ultrasound today and baby B is still measuring 14th percentile (low but growing properly).

Baby B’s amniotic fluid is high normal and they really didn’t explain it to me. I was stupid enough to research it online and now I’m freaking out! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

I don’t have gestational diabetes, which causes the higher amniotic fluids sometimes…

[B]Hello viktoria…I would love to help but I had low amniotic fluids and the doctor say he would induce the next day if my levels were the same. I had my levels at 6 and 5 for them would be considered extremely dangerous and risky and my daughter would die suffocated. I had a a huge growth spurge with my daughter I believe in between 71/2 months to 8 1/2 mths. In two weeks my baby went to weighing 6 pounds to 8 pounds exactly and by that time measured at full term baby. I was negative for gestational diabetic. [/B]

[QUOTE=viktoriascorpio]Hi, I’m freaking out. Had my growth measure ultrasound today and baby B is still measuring 14th percentile (low but growing properly).

Baby B’s amniotic fluid is high normal and they really didn’t explain it to me. I was stupid enough to research it online and now I’m freaking out! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

I don’t have gestational diabetes, which causes the higher amniotic fluids sometimes…[/QUOTE]

Hi Viktoria,

One of my babies has an elevated amniotic fluid level. I was told normal is between 2 and 8 and he was at 10.8 and I went back a week later (last week) and it was down some to 10.4 and I go back again this week. A few weeks earlier he was in the upper 7s. The doctor didn’t seem overly concerned about it at this point but they’re keeping an eye on it in case it gets out of hand. I’m hoping the levels go down some more this week.

Next time you’re at the doctor, ask what the level was and what they consider to be normal. If your doctor didn’t seem worried about it, you’re probably ok. Also, keep in mind that fluid levels vary day to day. My other two babies have ranged from 3 to 6.

I asked if there was anything I could do different (drink more or less water, lay on one side as opposed to the other) and I was told no. One danger if it gets out of hand could be premature rupture of membranes, which could force an early delivery. One treatment, which my doctor isn’t suggesting at this time, would be to withdraw some fluid similar to what’s done during an amniocentesis. However, there’s no guarantee the fluid levels won’t spike again.

[quote=BabiesAreCute]Hi Viktoria,

One of my babies has an elevated amniotic fluid level. I was told normal is between 2 and 8 and he was at 10.8 and I went back a week later (last week) and it was down some to 10.4 and I go back again this week. A few weeks earlier he was in the upper 7s. The doctor didn’t seem overly concerned about it at this point but they’re keeping an eye on it in case it gets out of hand. I’m hoping the levels go down some more this week.

Next time you’re at the doctor, ask what the level was and what they consider to be normal. If your doctor didn’t seem worried about it, you’re probably ok. Also, keep in mind that fluid levels vary day to day. My other two babies have ranged from 3 to 6.

I asked if there was anything I could do different (drink more or less water, lay on one side as opposed to the other) and I was told no. One danger if it gets out of hand could be premature rupture of membranes, which could force an early delivery. One treatment, which my doctor isn’t suggesting at this time, would be to withdraw some fluid similar to what’s done during an amniocentesis. However, there’s no guarantee the fluid levels won’t spike again.[/quote]
Are you sure you have the numbers right? They must be using a different index/measurement than usual. Typically, the normal AFI range is 8-18. Below 5 is a major concern, since it could restrict baby’s growth or cause cord compression.

Vik - good to see you, glad you are so far along! Don’t worry too much as long as it’s still in the normal range. I’ve gone through two pregnancies now with low normal AFI almost the whole time (for me to be above 10 is good) and babies are fine. There’s a big variation in that range.

To tell you the truth, I was told a normal pocket was between 2 and 8 and I assumed it was ounces they were talking about but it might be another unit of measure (other than ounces) so I’m sorry if I confused anybody. This will go onto my list of questions I’ll ask this week at my apt.

I wonder if they only measured one pocket for you? That measurement makes sense for one pocket. The AFI is the total of all four pockets summed up. It’s in centimeters.