High Progesterone Levels in Early Pregnancy

Hi Ladies! I have had high progesterone levels in my last two pregnancies and “googling” the subject sends you in circles on the net, so I thought I’d ask you. Did any of you have high progesterone levels during your early bloodwork tests?

My first cycle I had over 400 at 9dp5dt (and a beta of 93) This ended up being a twin pregnancy, although I’ve heard progesterone levels have nothing to do with multiple pregnancy.

This most recent cycle I had 120 at 9dp5dt (with a beta of 103).

Do these two numbers contrast each other?

I would be interested to know if anyone had high progesterone levels (over 100) right after transfer as well. Is there any risk in having such high levels?

[quote=hopin4boys]Hi Ladies! I have had high progesterone levels in my last two pregnancies and “googling” the subject sends you in circles on the net, so I thought I’d ask you. Did any of you have high progesterone levels during your early bloodwork tests?

My first cycle I had over 400 at 9dp5dt (and a beta of 93) This ended up being a twin pregnancy, although I’ve heard progesterone levels have nothing to do with multiple pregnancy.

This most recent cycle I had 120 at 9dp5dt (with a beta of 103).

Do these two numbers contrast each other?[/quote]

All you need is enough progesterone to sustain the pregnancy. Beyond that, it’s not very relevant.

If your beta was at zero, then your progesterone level would be falling due to impending luteolysis. But just a little hCG will keep the follicles busy making progesterone, and patients with many follicles will have a lot of progesterone.

I have been worrying myself to death because my initial beta was very high at 826 and at my 5 week ultrasound, my beta was 22,000 and my progesterone was 132. There was just a gestational sac at the ultrasound and my RE said everything looked normal but of course I started googling and read that high hcg levels with high progesterone could mean a blighted ovum or Down’s syndrom.

I am concerned because there was only 1 getstational sac so why are my numbers so high??

???

I don’t see why one would have anything to do with the other.

High progesterone and estradiol levels only mean you have many follicles (called corpora lutea at this point).

Ghost - I also had a cyst at my 5 week ultrasound but my RE didn’t seem concerned at all. He just told me to take it easy and abstain from interourse. Could this cyst be a large corpora lutea?

There is information all over the internet saying that a really high first beta and high progesterone levels could indicate a problem. I also had high etrogen levels so I am no longer on any sort of estrogen or progesterone support. I guess I am really scaring myself for no good reason!