High Progestrone levels in Beta Test

Hi,

I went to my Beta2 pregnancy test yesterday. My Beta hcg was 2770 and Progesterone was 70.I have only transferred one 6 day embryo.I am only 6 weeks pregnant by now. Does anybody experienced the high progesterone at 6 weeks and having a healthy pregnancy. My RE asked me to stop the progesterone suppositories now and asked me to come for ultrasound in 5 days.

You don’t really need to worry about that number being too high and the suppositories don’t show up in ur blood work that’s almost all the natural production by your body a low progesterone can hurt a pregnancy but you’re fine ive nevee heard of a RE stopping support this early honestly but maybe he thought your number was that good

[quote=sujita]Hi,

I went to my Beta2 pregnancy test yesterday. My Beta hcg was 2770 and Progesterone was 70.I have only transferred one 6 day embryo.I am only 6 weeks pregnant by now. Does anybody experienced the high progesterone at 6 weeks and having a healthy pregnancy. My RE asked me to stop the progesterone suppositories now and asked me to come for ultrasound in 5 days.[/quote]

Looks like your RE believes your follicles are producing all the progesterone you need, and that with levels that high, you don’t need the supplements.

You are producing enough on your own with a level of 70 and that is why the Doc is stopping the supps. There just isn’t any reason to continue on them with naturally good numbers. Also, they have recently started stopping the supps anyway once ladies hit about 8-9wks or a heatbeat is seen because new studies show they aren’t needed beyond that point as the placenta should be taking over by then.

I think there are very few that actually need to stay on them longer. I stayed on mine til 12 wks just because I have a history of very low progesterone so just to be on the safe side I stayed on them. The average progesterone in a non supplemented cycle is 25 (that is non supplemented with PIO as the supps don’t show up in the blood). I took PIO injections and mine was a 40 at around 9wks. I was told I could stop, but I just continued to take them on my own.

So I said all that to say that your looks really good and there really isn’t any such thing as too high a progesterone. The risks with supplementation are really low regardless of if it’s high or not and though there is lots of reason you wouldn’t want it too low there isn’t much out there that says there is a such thing as too high so…no worries!

Good Luck! :flower:

Thanks for all the replies.

When I am googling about high progestrone values somebody mentioned the high values are due to twins / Molar pragnency. We only tansfered one embryo.

[QUOTE=sujita]Thanks for all the replies.

When I am googling about high progestrone values somebody mentioned the high values are due to twins / Molar pragnency. We only tansfered one embryo.[/QUOTE]

True, but a molar pregnancy is very very rare. I have only even seen it on this thread like twice in the 4 yrs I have been on here. So I wouldn’t be concerned with that.

Your one embryo could have split into identical twins, but again is rare. Sometimes HCG is just higher than in other pregnancies and so is progesterone. It doesn’t mean you have twins per say. Could just be one strongly implanted embryo. I have a friend whose HCG and progesterone was like that and she has one perfectly healthy baby.

If you put the embie back on day 3 or had assisted hatching then your odds of twining goes up. Did you have either of these?

[quote=ahhny]True, but a molar pregnancy is very very rare. I have only even seen it on this thread like twice in the 4 yrs I have been on here. So I wouldn’t be concerned with that.

Your one embryo could have split into identical twins, but again is rare. Sometimes HCG is just higher than in other pregnancies and so is progesterone. It doesn’t mean you have twins per say. Could just be one strongly implanted embryo. I have a friend whose HCG and progesterone was like that and she has one perfectly healthy baby.

If you put the embie back on day 3 or had assisted hatching then your odds of twining goes up. Did you have either of these?[/quote]

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply. We transfetred the 5 day Blastcyst. Doctor did the ICSI for us.I don’t know about assisted hatching .What is assisted hatching. We did the chromosomal testing before implating the embryo.

[QUOTE=sujita]Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply. We transfetred the 5 day Blastcyst. Doctor did the ICSI for us.I don’t know about assisted hatching .What is assisted hatching. We did the chromosomal testing before implating the embryo.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes they will do assisted hatching (basically breaking the outer shell) if the shell is thicker than usual. They do it to help the embryo hatch and doing that makes the rate of it splitting slightly higher. If you had it you would know because they would have discussed it with you and likely charged you for it. I am unsure if chromosomal testing would do the same thing or not. I am assuming it could though if in testing they penetrate the shell.

If I recall correctly the odds of a blast splitting though are less than 1%–so rare. That is one reason they prefer to transfer blasts because blasts are more stable and thus less prone to splitting than say a day 3 embryo.

I am unsure if the chromosomal testing would increase that rate or not, but even if it did I wouldn’t think it would be by much so would probably still be unlikely that it would split, but as you know with infertility anything is possible. :cross: it all works out positively for you though.