Horrible gas and constipation

I was just looking for some advise on formula that may help with constipation and gas. I have 3 month old twins and have major issues with gas and constipation with my daughter. I have had her on similac sensitive, good start soothe, and Nutramigen. The similac sensitive was severely constipating and the doctor reccomended the good start soothe. Her issues seemed to be getting worse so we tried the nurtramigen. Her bm was then watery and very loose like diarrhea. She also only ate very little b/c of the taste. It seemed like she would only eat an 2 ounces at time until she was satisfied and then was hungry an hour later. She still constantly cried. Not sure if it was hunger b/c she did not eat much do to taste. so, I switched back to good start soothe and she is just terrible with gas and constipation. She cries constantly but eats well. Doctor gave her meds for reflux but I did not notice a big differance. They ruled out a milk allergy.

My last resort is to try enfamil gentlease. My older daughter was on this when she was a baby and did fantastic. Not sure how differant it would be than other formulas I have tried, but some reviews I read mentioned that it helped great with constipation. Any advise?? I can’t stand to see her in so much pain and I am going crazy with the all the crying and gi issues:(

We had the same problem with one of our twins. We switched them both to Similac Alimentum and it really seemed to help. We would also lay her down on her back and move her legs (like she’s riding a bike), to get things moving a little. When she was in a lot of pain I would firmly hold her stomach or put her belly on my lap, the pressure sometimes helps with the pain.

Just FYI the constipation came back when we started her on solid food (her twin brother also had a little) and now we give her a couple ounces of prune juice each day, if we don’t she gets really bad (we were up last night with her crying in pain, it’s so horrible).

I’m sorry you have to go through this, it breaks my heart seeing my daughter in so much pain and unable to help :frowning:

My third son was born premature with acid reflux and was hospitalized at 3 months with ulcer’s and constant vomiting with blood in it. We tried several different kinds of formula (because I had been ill myself in the hospital and thought the meds I was on was causing the problem through my breastmilk) and had similar issues as you are describing. One thing that really seemed to help was adding a little apple juice to his formula (we used Nutramigen). Also, if you do add some juice to keep things moving make sure you are using the zantac or whatever was prescribed for the reflux so the juice doesn’t cause that problem too. Chances are if your baby is backed up they are also having reflux too because they kinda go hand in hand. Plus it will help neutralize any gas and reduce that pain too.

Another thing to consider is mixing some of the Nutramigen that you said makes the baby too runny with another formula as that may level out the two and be a perfect combination.

Also, you have to be careful and give time for the baby to adjust to each formula. If you give them one and then two days later another and then change again that too can cause issues because their little bodies just can’t adjust to new diets that quickly.

Anyway, I hope you find the perfect solution. I am sure taking care of twins in hard enough without these issues too. :grouphug:

For constipation we gave my twins several ounces of pear juice a day. It definitely worked! When they started solids, we took them off the juice and started feeding them pears in the morning for breakfast.

As for gas, we lived on mylocon drops! Dr. Browns bottles worked the best for us (and the bottles also helped the reflux). We would bicycle their legs throughout the day as well.

My twins also had severe reflux with around the clock crying. I’m not sure which reflux med the dr prescribed, but prevacid worked the best for us (IMO zantac does nothing!). It takes about a week for the prevacid to work so hang in there!

I know it is tough having two babies dealing with all these issues! :grouphug:

[quote=daisy2006]I was just looking for some advise on formula that may help with constipation and gas. I have 3 month old twins and have major issues with gas and constipation with my daughter. I have had her on similac sensitive, good start soothe, and Nutramigen. The similac sensitive was severely constipating and the doctor reccomended the good start soothe. Her issues seemed to be getting worse so we tried the nurtramigen. Her bm was then watery and very loose like diarrhea. She also only ate very little b/c of the taste. It seemed like she would only eat an 2 ounces at time until she was satisfied and then was hungry an hour later. She still constantly cried. Not sure if it was hunger b/c she did not eat much do to taste. so, I switched back to good start soothe and she is just terrible with gas and constipation. She cries constantly but eats well. Doctor gave her meds for reflux but I did not notice a big differance. They ruled out a milk allergy.

My last resort is to try enfamil gentlease. My older daughter was on this when she was a baby and did fantastic. Not sure how differant it would be than other formulas I have tried, but some reviews I read mentioned that it helped great with constipation. Any advise?? I can’t stand to see her in so much pain and I am going crazy with the all the crying and gi issues:([/quote]

I would try liquid alimentum…its a easier digested formula and in liquid form it does not have some of the ingredients that powder formulas have. My baby screamed for hours with gas and constipation, he never tested positive for a strong allergy but was found to have a dairy, soy, and corn intolerance. Alimentum is the only corn free formula(and only in the liquid form). It never hurts to give it a try :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advise everyone. I have started to give her pear juice every day w/ her reflux meds and it seems to be doing the trick. I can’t wait until I can start them on baby food. They are three months old today.

I was told by my pedi to start my boys on solid food at 4 months due to severe reflux. If it doesn’t improve with the meds, talk to your pedi about this.

Hang in there! I know it’s tough, but it will get easier soon!!!