How do you spend the day before your IUI?

Hi everyone,

I know lots of people on here use triggers, which usually means 36 hours before IUI, so you have this day between using the trigger and going in…

Or you use OPKs and find out the day before, and still have at least some of the day between trigger and going in.

I’d love to hear how you usually spend it.

My IUI is in the morning. =)

I don’t change any normal activity…the same goes for the day of the IUI - don’t do anything different then you would normally do! In fact you need to be somewhat active the day you receive your IUI to prevent “clotting”. This go round - the day i did my trigger I actually went to a concert that evening. I didn’t have my IUI until 3 days later but that day i came home and watched TV for about 1.5 hours then I got up a did the laundry and cleaned the house!

The day before is just a normal day for me. As for the day of IUI, I usually took the day off (partly for practical reasons so that DH and I could just take one car) but also because I like to take it easy afterward. My job is not physical, but I like to mentally relax, I guess. As far as physical activity, I’ve gotten pregnant when going shopping for hours after an IUI and also when sitting on the couch for most of the day after an IUI. It doesn’t seem to make a difference either way. The key is to make sure they elevate your hips and that you stay put for about 20 minutes after the IUI. Good luck!

I’ve heard mixed stuff on this. Anyone have personal experience to share?

Yes, my RE’s clinic has tables that elevate your hips and they tell me to stay put and relax for 15-20 minutes after every IUI. They say it takes about 7 minutes for the sperm to get into your tubes. I’ve gotten pregnant 4 times so it has worked for me. I’m sure it’s possible to get pregnant without doing this, but I like the reassurance that I’m not just going to walk it out within five minutes of the procedure. After 15-20 minutes, you know it’s where it needs to be to hook up with the egg.

My day is nothing but normal. No need to spend the day doing anything special lol.

[QUOTE=Poenym]I’ve heard mixed stuff on this. Anyone have personal experience to share?[/QUOTE]

All my IUI’s i am made to lay on the table for 15-20 mins. I am also told to have a full bladder for IUI as well.

All my IUIs I took the day off work, since it can be physically stressful, but I do normal stuff at home!

I’m always left for 15 min after my IUIs to lay there and relax!

Interesting. My clinic (a rather large, multi-branch clinic, many RE doc clinic that is heavily involved in research) doesn’t have women lay down for a while after the IUI. There’s research indicating that there is no difference in the results. I haven’t tracked it down yet, but I did find this helpful website:

IUI FAQ - Fertility Plus

I’m curious about people out there who have had success WITHOUT lying down afterwards - and honestly, I have no intention of doing so, because I trust the research. And wow, did this thread get hijacked. =)

But, please, I mean NO disrespect to anyone who feels more comfortable staying prone for a while - I can understand why! If I thought it would help, I’d do a handstand for an hour afterwards!

Blah. Nevermind. Now I’m finding research that indicates the opposite. So what do I tell the nurse tomorrow? Hell.

Lying down after artificial insemination might increase the chance of concieving a baby

[QUOTE=Poenym]Blah. Nevermind. Now I’m finding research that indicates the opposite. So what do I tell the nurse tomorrow? Hell.

Lying down after artificial insemination might increase the chance of concieving a baby[/QUOTE]

If you want to lay down just to give it a go, just ask them if you can atleast lay down for 10 mins. I mean they are working for you.

First time around

I took a couple of days off to relax and spend time with my husband. We had our IUI on the 16th. We spent Valentine’s snow tubing on at Blue Mountain in PA, and then the 15th we went bowling and watched a movie. Good date time!

My RE had me stay lying down for about 15 minutes. Wasn’t propped up though. My DH and I just spent the time talking about how akward the procedure was and joking around. We’re [I]very [/I]mature… as in I was doing a no-pants dance before the doc came in.

Sounds like a great time - and your first IUI just a couple days ago! Good luck!

Wish me luck tomorrow morning!

Good luck today!! I hope all goes well and there’s a BFP for you at the end of it. And, if you want to lie down after your IUI, I say go for it…you’re paying for the service, they should respect your wishes.

Sorry we got a bit off topic from your original post, but I hope you did have a nice day yesterday relaxing and getting ready for your IUI!!

Let us know how you IUI went. FX it ends in a BFP!!!

Thanks! She forgot to have me sign the screen before doing it, so I had to get up right after to sign the screen - so I just got dressed and went to my car and laid down there for 15 minutes instead.

It’s funny - I get all anxious heading up to the IUI, and afterwards I feel all peaceful. I think it has something to do with feeling like we’re actually trying (using DS, so there’s no chance without the IUI) rather than just trying to get to the point where we can try. I’ve had so many off cycles and a surgery, this is only my second IUI when my first was in August!

So, now the 2ww… and I find the first part of that pretty easy. Last time AF came 11 dpiui… this time the iui was on CD 9, so I’m really hoping for a full 14 at least!

10 dp IUI

[quote=Poenym]Sounds like a great time - and your first IUI just a couple days ago! Good luck!

Wish me luck tomorrow morning![/quote]

Good luck! I am on day 10…so nerve wrenching. This is my 8th IUI…3 miscarriages and 5 BFN. So anxious because this is the last time we can do this… (financial reasons)…5 years of infertility can really drive someone nuts. But remaining hopeful.:pray:

I am praying for all the ladies waiting to see some postive results…and for those who have them, that it lasts their term. :cheer:

:grouphug:

[quote=waiting4miraclebaby]So anxious because this is the last time we can do this… (financial reasons)…5 years of infertility can really drive someone nuts. But remaining hopeful.:pray:

[/quote]

Oh, that’s SO hard - but keep calm, it can only help. Lots of :bsv:and positive thoughts for a :bfp:. (By the way, I know that’s Big Fat Positive… but I had no idea at first and kept seeing the F as a different word - and I cannot stop seeing it that way! Hope the laugh helps! =)

LOL me too!!! I also had no idea what DH meant, after a while I figured out it meant husband, but couldn’t figure out the D part - i assumed something funny, but negative!! (dumb, dorky, dingy, etc)
There is a link at the top of the page for all the acronyms, i studied that!