How Is It Possible that Donor Embryo FET Can Fail?

Hi-

I am brand new to this site. Hello. (I originally posted this in the FET forum but a user suggested I post here as well. So apologies for the dual posts.)

My DH and I have been TTC for 5+ years. As you can see in my signature after dozens of IUI’s and IVF’s all failed, we just moved on to DEm FET. We did not step into Donor Emb lightly but once we did, we embraced this with our whole heart.

We have no medical issues other than old eggs. So we did Donor Em FET two weeks ago and the 30+ HPT’s upstairs are all negative. My beta is tomorrow morning and I don’t even want to go.

If a doctor says your own eggs/sperm are bad and suggested donor FET, then how can that fail if EVERYTHING else looks GREAT- perfect actually was what the embryologist called our two hatching embryos.

Before we do this again I want to be armed with more information. My doctor doesn’t believe in immune issues but what else can it be?

I would love to hear from any of you that finally found the magic embryos and if you did anything different or sought out immune testing.

Isn’t kind of rare for a Donor Em FET to fail?

I feel like I have failed my doctor, my husband and the lovely couple who produced beautiful embryos and so unselfishly gave us their gifts.

Thank you and all my thoughts are with you for the smell of a newborn baby in your arms.

:welcome: As far as having donor embies not take, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Donor embies are only a 30% success rate nationally i believe. Donated embies that are from an Egg donor have a higher success rate, i think probably 40-50% but you have to remember also that when the person did the fresh cycle, they transfer the best embies and freeze the others. now most clinics wont freeze embies that arent very good quality, but on the other hand they probably arent “the best” from the batch. Not saying they arent good quality, just sayin…

Im so sorry it didnt work out for you. Maybe your uterus is the problem?? Im assuming you have had it checked out, but maybe that is where the problem lies?? I found a big polyp when i went in for my ultrasound that will have to be removed before we do any treatments. It can prevent implantation.

While donated embies can be a real blessing financially the success rates arent really that great compared with other forms of ART. If you go thru it again, maybe stick to embies that are from an egg donor, or ones where there was a male factor infertility because those will be your best bet at a pregnancy in my opinion. God bless!!

Like you, I had a series of busted iuis and ivfs. I went the donor embie route, and my first transfer didn’t work. I, too, was devastated and was sure there was something wrong with me. I was ready to throw in the towel, but my RE convinced me to try one last time. The only change I made was to make it a largely unmedicated cycle (no lupron). Thank God, it worked.

k.

I know how you feel

Hi TJ,

I can completely relate to how you are feeling right now. My only advice is to insist on a reoccuring pregnancy loss panel (immune testing). If the insurance covers it, there’s no reason why you shouldnt have it done.

To make my very long story short, I did three IUIs, three IVF cycles myself, 1 fresh donor egg cycle, three FETs with donor embryos and all ended in BFN and 1 very early miscarriage. Every cycle my lining was perfect, I responded well to stims, my blood work (E2, progesterone, ect…) was “perfect” and it never worked. Every time I was given the same message about chromosomal abnormal eggs, blah blah blah.

After all that I insisted that my RE run a reoccurring pregnancy loss panel because I felt there HAD to be something else going on. It just didnt make sense. He eventually ran the panel (he also is not a big believer in immune issues, natural killer cells, ect…) I had the testing which turned up one mutation for the MRTHR gene mutation, which my RE said would not put me at risk for clotting factors. Everything else came back w/in normal levels. I did two more donor embryo FETs, (doing acupuncture &, various Chinese herbs) and both ended in BFN. I was done!

About three months after I stopped all treatment the donor coordinator at our clinic called me to see if we were interested in other donor embryos. I really thought it would be a waste of time but I decided to have another consultation w/ our RE. I asked him if he would be willing to “throw the kitchen sink at me” (so to speak) when it came to my treatment plan. He agreed to treat me as if I had an immune clotting issue. I started Mentax (which is a prescription Folic Acid) two months prior to the cycle. In addition to the standard estrace and PIO, my RE prescribed lovenox and he kept me on a steriod even after the transfer. Its still early in the cycle but I have gotten a :bfp: (12dp3dt) and my betas are doubling.

The message to my story is be your own advocate, be persistent, and beleive in the power of prayer! If your RE isnt willing to work with you, maybe you find another doctor. I hope & pray you get that BFP!

I can relate.I just did my 4th FET w/donor embryos.I got a bfp with my second fet,and I had nothing but BFN on HPT.So when they called and said your pregnant I was shocked.However it ended in a blighted ovum.We tried again with the same embryos,and had a chemical.I think the embryos weren’t as good as we thought.I too was told they were perfect on transfer day.
I was referred to another clinic across the country and was so hesitant for many reasons.This clinic did testing too and found MTHFR gene,and prescribed folgard.This clinic also didn’t use lupron.We got a bfp very early which was very shocking so I was worried.However yesterday it was confirmed by my second very nice beta.
Hang in there! You could still get your bfp,but if not don’t give up.
Where are you doing donor fet’s?

The RPL panel is different than a immune screen. RPL is a common test and most RE will run it on request or after 3 losses. It is just a blood test so very easy but if paying for it out of poket it is somewhat expensive.

[quote=hairwiz]I can relate.I just did my 4th FET w/donor embryos.I got a bfp with my second fet,and I had nothing but BFN on HPT.So when they called and said your pregnant I was shocked.However it ended in a blighted ovum.We tried again with the same embryos,and had a chemical.I think the embryos weren’t as good as we thought.I too was told they were perfect on transfer day.
I was referred to another clinic across the country and was so hesitant for many reasons.This clinic did testing too and found MTHFR gene,and prescribed folgard.This clinic also didn’t use lupron.We got a bfp very early which was very shocking so I was worried.However yesterday it was confirmed by my second very nice beta.
Hang in there! You could still get your bfp,but if not don’t give up.
Where are you doing donor fet’s?[/quote]

Fantastic!!! :clap:

Happy Family-Thanks! We are kinda shocked and nervous too.You know our history.

[QUOTE=amyinohio]The RPL panel is different than a immune screen. RPL is a common test and most RE will run it on request or after 3 losses. It is just a blood test so very easy but if paying for it out of poket it is somewhat expensive.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like different RE clinics refer to testing differently. My RE clinic ran a RPL panel that included all of the immune testing…???

Hi there. I just had a chemical pregnancy with donor embryos, so I understand your frustration. We have strictly male factor infertility, and the donors had a uterine issue causing multiple miscarriages, so taking their perfect embryos (they were in their 20s at time of retrieval, and we transferred 2 hatching day 5 blasts of excellent quality) and my good-to-go uterus together, everyone kept saying there was just no way it wouldn’t work… and yet it didn’t.

From what I’ve learned, human beings do not control life and death like we think we do. We have all these medical advances that enable us to manipulate situations to our advantage, but we forget that the ultimate control still remains with our Creator. In nature, about half of all embryos don’t make it, even in perfectly fertile couples who don’t even realize they conceived. The pain is there for us bc we are aware of them being present in our bodies, and then no more, so we grieve. But objectively speaking, it was nothing that we did or could do to prevent it.

I know it doesn’t help to hear that there is nothing we can do to guarantee success. :grouphug: