How is It Possible that Donor Embryo FET Can Fail?

Hi-

I am brand new to this site and am devastated. I don’t know who to turn to but I feel like this is a community of women (and men!) who understand and can offer hope.

My DH and I have been TTC for 5+ years. As you can see in my signature after dozens of IUI’s and IVF’s all failed, we just moved on to DEm FET. We did not step into Donor Emb lightly but once we did, we embraced this with our whole heart.

We have no medical issues other than old eggs. So we did Donor Em FET two weeks ago and the 30+ HPT’s upstairs are all negative. My beta is tomorrow morning and I don’t even want to go.

If a doctor says your own eggs/sperm are bad and suggested donor FET, then how can that fail if EVERYTHING else looks GREAT- perfect actually was what the embryologist called our two hatching embryos.

Before we do this again I want to be armed with more information. My doctor doesn’t believe in immune issues but what else can it be?

I would love to hear from any of you that finally found the magic embryos and if you did anything different or sought out immune testing.

Isn’t kind of rare for a Donor Em FET to fail?

I feel like I have failed my doctor, my husband and the lovely couple who produced beautiful embryos and so unselfishly gave us their gifts.

Thank you and all my thoughts are with you for the smell of a newborn baby in your arms.

I am sorry for your BFN, and you have not failed at all! Sadly, this is not a perfect science and there are many reasons that a DEm may not implant.

Immune issues could be the issue, although many REs will dispute that assumption. More common issues are:

1. lining was to thick/thin
  2. the embryo(s) was affected by the freezing process
  3. The embryo quality (esp fragmentation)
  4. chromosomal issues in the embryo

FET is only successful 30-50% of the time so that does leave a higher likelihood that the cycle will be unsuccessful rather than successful.

I am preparing for a cycle in March/May and I know how hard it is to believe that after everything this might not work…

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply!

The embryologist told us the embryos were perfect. They were hatching and had gone from 8 cells to over 100 in the short time since they had hatched. There was no fragmentation in either embryo.

My lining was at 11- perfect said my RE.

The embryos were from a batch that produced a perfect little girl.

My heart is so heavy and broken.

Immune issues could be the issue, although many REs will dispute that assumption. More common issues are:

1. lining was to thick/thin
  2. the embryo(s) was affected by the freezing process
  3. The embryo quality (esp fragmentation)
  4. chromosomal issues in the embryo

I am so sorry that you had a faiuled cycle. I know what it is like to have a text book perfect cycle with DE fail. My fresh DE cycle failed and the only thing we found ( after changing dr’s) was that I had polyps. Did they give you an hsg or saline sono prior to the transfer? were you tested for clotting issues? etc?

Grayson -

This is one of the things that I worry about with DEm. I have a healthy happy dd from IVF. It was not until we went back for number 2 that we discovered my dh’s translocation that make the odds of us having a live birth in the single digits. We had beautiful embryos that. Were always ahead of the game (except the one that was dd those were our worst). You never know if there are underlying factors on the embryos.

Have you done the RPL panel or any sonograms of your uterus?

I’m so sorry that your FET was not successful. But know that FET’s have a much lower success rate than fresh cycles. The success rate is only around 30% or so depending on the clinic - even with perfect circumstances, unfortunately.
It certainly was not your fault!

[quote=GraysonFinley]Hi-

I am brand new to this site and am devastated. I don’t know who to turn to but I feel like this is a community of women (and men!) who understand and can offer hope.

My DH and I have been TTC for 5+ years. As you can see in my signature after dozens of IUI’s and IVF’s all failed, we just moved on to DEm FET. We did not step into Donor Emb lightly but once we did, we embraced this with our whole heart.

We have no medical issues other than old eggs. So we did Donor Em FET two weeks ago and the 30+ HPT’s upstairs are all negative. My beta is tomorrow morning and I don’t even want to go.

If a doctor says your own eggs/sperm are bad and suggested donor FET, then how can that fail if EVERYTHING else looks GREAT- perfect actually was what the embryologist called our two hatching embryos.

Before we do this again I want to be armed with more information. My doctor doesn’t believe in immune issues but what else can it be?

I would love to hear from any of you that finally found the magic embryos and if you did anything different or sought out immune testing.

Isn’t kind of rare for a Donor Em FET to fail?

I feel like I have failed my doctor, my husband and the lovely couple who produced beautiful embryos and so unselfishly gave us their gifts.

Thank you and all my thoughts are with you for the smell of a newborn baby in your arms.[/quote]

Hi there

My experience: I had one fresh cycle with 2 embies and 1 FET. And I didn’t get pregnant. You know it depends on many things and even on your emotional feelings (my doctor said). And I believe him. But I’m going to try again. Now I think of doing it abroad. The clinics abroad don’t have any waiting list and can propose the better price for that. My consultant said they were completely reliable. He had experience with them in DE and the patient had pregnancy. I really hope for that!

what clinics abroad are you looking at? can you give me contact information please>