How many eggs should you get when doing iui from follistim?

how many eggs should you have? i was under the assumption that only one turns out to ovulate each month and the rest dissolve. so does it really matter how many you have if only one ovulates anyway?

I think how many eggs you get depends on how you respond to the medication. Some people can get too many eggs and get their cycle canceled or they could get OHSS or turn into the octomom. I have had mature 3 follicles/eggs each of my IUI cycles. We used both clomid and follistim, since I have diminished ovarian reserve and we wanted to try a higher dose of meds. Most REs let you do IUI with more mature follicles at an older age b/c you are less likely to have viable eggs.

From what I understand, if you do not use a trigger (like Novarel - it’s a gonadotropin) to make you ovulate, only the lead follicle ovulates. With the trigger, all of the follies over a certain size ovulate.

For this last cycle, I did the trigger 40 hours before the IUI. I definitely had stronger ovulation pains than I do on unmedicated cycles.

Each month you make a certain number of eggs. On a non-medicated cycle generally only one egg gets to an adequate size. On medicated cycles more eggs get to the right size. You don’t make or produce more with the meds you are just making bigger ones. You are correct that the other dormant follicles dissolve- which is the case on medicated and nonmedicated cycles. On Clomid I think RE’s want 1-3 follicles. On Follisitm I think they want 2-4. The opposite happened for me though. On Clomid I made 2 and on Follistim I only made 1 (I was on a really low dose though). I’ve never heard of the thing about the trigger shot causing all of your eggs to release versus natural ovulation causing only 1 egg to ovulate (how would we have faternal twins then- that’s 2 different eggs being ovualted and fertilized). The trigger shot simply allows RE’s to know an exact time of when you ovulate which makes it easier to schedule IUIs. My RE lets me O every month on my own without a trigger shot and they have never mentioned that in doing so only 1 of my eggs would be released. Actually the 2 times I got pregnant from IUI’s happened when I didn’t take the trigger shot and I just O’d on my own.

[QUOTE=lbzg]how many eggs should you have? i was under the assumption that only one turns out to ovulate each month and the rest dissolve. so does it really matter how many you have if only one ovulates anyway?[/QUOTE]

In general that is the whole point of fertility drugs, so that you ovulate more than the 1 egg you would on your own (or in many cases ovulate at all). How many eggs depends on you age, fertility issue etc.

I am 38 and we are dealing with solely male factor. Therefore I took fertility drugs to produce 3-4 follicles to provide more targets from my dh’s sperm count to hit. Then when the 4 follicles were maturing they gave me an hcg trigger which allows all mature follicles over a certain size to be released.

For a women who doesn’t ovulate on her own and no male factor 1-2 follicles may be more than fine.

It just depends, but the drugs you take override your bodies natural tendency to mature and release only 1 egg.

[SIZE=3]My RE said that 3 follies is ideal for the IUI. Well, the cycle I had 3 I got negative results. The one I had 5, I got my twins :slight_smile: It all depends how you respond.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
:babydust: