How many embryos to transfer?

Hi Ladies,
I’m new to this particular forum page. I’ve been through 4 IUI cycles and will begin the first IVF cycle in mid-Dec. We have a choice of transferring 1 or 2 embryos and I’m wondering if anyone has advice.

We were told that there is a 30% success rate with 1 and 40% with 2. I know that a twin preg. is risky, but I’m leaning toward transferring 2 incase 1 doesn’t take.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It’s so hard to know exactly what to do.

Thanks!

i always say transfer as many that you can handle … ivf1 we transfered 2 cause i was scared of trips , we got a singleton this time we transfered 3 and got twins …best of luck!!

we were given a 50 % chance transferring 1 and 80 % with 2. re said it was a very fine line between getting pregnant and multiples. we transfered 2 8cell embryos on day 3 and got a singleton. i say go for 2 if twins seems doable. even w/ great embys sometimes 1 just doesnt take good luck !

My DD and her husband were advised to transfer one “excellent” 5 day blast during their first IVF cycle. Unfortunately, they got a BFN. They are currently in the midst of IVF #2. If all goes well, they will transfer two this time no matter what they are advised. My DD is 25 and her doctor won’t transfer more than two due to her age and the fact that they’re doing IVF for MFI.

Thanks for the advice everyone! It’s so difficult to weigh up the pros and cons of a SET vs. DET.

You RE may be able to give you more advice once there are embryos to view. With my first IVF we were advised to transfer one, maybe 2 at the most. However, because of the number and quality of the embryos, the RE actually recommended we transfer 3 on the day of ET.

If you have good quality embryos, your chances are up to 50% per embryo. That’s was we had, and we transferred one. It took. Good luck with your IVF.

I hope I have the same success as Trans-Siberian! We also chose to transfer 1 great quality, 8-cell, highest grade on day 3. I have been agonizing ever since the transfer (beta on Tuesday the 16th) and wondering if I should have done two… but for what it’s worth, the chances with my one are a little over 40% and with two would only be about 10-15% higher, with a 20-25% chance of twins. For a somewhat small margin of higher success but (what I consider) a much higher chance of twins, we opted for one and not two transferred. It is such a tough choice. I’d be lying if I said I don’t go back and forth every hour about this. But, what’s done is done, and if this one doesn’t stick we’ll transfer two in a FET (we have 4 leftover).

Everything I have researched has said that an excellent quality embryo has only a slightly lower chance than two embryos. As others have said, it comes down to the risk of no pregnancy vs. twins, and what you can live with.

With day 3 embryos, transferring two might make sense. With blastocysts, one embryo makes a lot of sense at your young age.

I was pretty nervous to end up with twins, but have calmed down about it the further along I get into the pregnancy. Pregnancy complications/early labor were my fear. Read the Nov Twins forum on the due date board–it will give you a broad range of people’s recent experiences with delivery if this is the part of twins that concerns you. Good luck.

2 gives you a higher chance, but it is up to you. Funny, I never ever thought of just putting one back, but have come to find out many do.

Usually the quality of the embryo helps decide things. I still say go for 2, but obviously this is a very personal decision. I would love to transfer 3, but that won’t happen because my RE says no, the quality is very good, he will only put back 2.

Good Luck in making your decision.

All three IVF attempts my RE has transferred 2. I think she bases this on age and other factors. My first IVF didn’t work at all but that was before I had surgery to remove some adenomyosis. My second worked but due to a chromosonal problem, our little one stopped growing. My 3rd IVF worked. I got good results on my beta today but am having some very light brown spotting and cramping which the NP thinks, and I hope, is due to an inflammation of my cervix instead of an impending miscarriage. Given my past history with IVF I would’ve transferred up to 3 if they had let me but I do not recommend this for someone who has never done a transfer before. Besides my RE wouldn’t let me. She said that was breaking protocol. They don’t transfer 3 unless you are a certain age. If you have never done IVF I recommmend 1 or 2 max.

ttc with IVF

Age: 40, healthy. Unexplained Infertility. Had 2 myomectomy’s, 1 hysteroscopy.
DH: 40, healthy.
1 Fur Baby :paw:
6 Failed IUI’s, 1 Failed IVF.

Hi Gals

I’m a newbie and here is my IVF Story
IVF#1: 10 Follicles, 6 Retrieved, 3 made it to Blast, 2were transferred. Failed

I changed RE’s. Now I’m on BCP for my second IVF cycle. This time my new RE is going to transfer 3 embryo’s and also do assisted hatching. I am SO looking forward to this cycle and I feel very optimistic! Wishing all of us:bfp: !

[QUOTE=Firefly78]Hi Ladies,
I’m new to this particular forum page. I’ve been through 4 IUI cycles and will begin the first IVF cycle in mid-Dec. We have a choice of transferring 1 or 2 embryos and I’m wondering if anyone has advice.

We were told that there is a 30% success rate with 1 and 40% with 2. I know that a twin preg. is risky, but I’m leaning toward transferring 2 incase 1 doesn’t take.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It’s so hard to know exactly what to do.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]The chances of positive pregnancy with multiple embryo transfer is definitely higher .[/SIZE][/FONT]

We transferred 2 for our fresh IVF and 2 for our frozen cycle. Our 1st IVF attempt resulted in a BFP, but it was a chemical pregnancy. Our frozen cycle gave us our twins.

I say only transfer what you can handle. We transferred 2 each time and now have twins. Twins are managable, it’s hetic as heck, but all the more joy and I couldn’t imagine my life without them now.

Our goal was not to have twins persay but to increase our chances of a family. If you’re not comfortable transferring more than 1 then don’t do it.

Good luck!

Hi,
I would go with 2, you will increase your chance with 2.
BTW: i see you are acupuncturist, I need a honest opinion if acupncture really helps to success of IVF. Last year I tried acu. with my 3 trd IVF but could not get pregnant now i am doing it again but I am not sure. Do you suggest acupuncture, if you do usually where do you recommend to place needles. MY first acupuncturist were placing legs, feet, hands, arms, head and tummy but this one puts just feet and legs i asked him and he said if i put too many nedles it means too many signal and we do not want them. I am confused.
thank you so much