How many iui's before ivf?

so, what are peoples thoughts as to how many iuis to do before moving on to ivf?

What treatment have you had? Oral meds? Injections? I think you should do at least 3 months of one med before moving onto to a new kind. However, it largely depends on your specific situation and what your IF problem is. Of course $$$$$ plays a huge role. My SIL did 9 IUI’s (oral and injections) and then did IVF and got pregnant immediately. I’ve been on Clomid since March (had a couple months off and one month of injections) with no BFP. We will do another round or two of injections and then move on to IVF. The money is the biggest factor for us.

I have read that if IUI is going to work for you - most people get :bfp: In 4 to 6 attempts. After that it’s unlikely but of course possible.

We plan on doing 6 if necessary ( so far had 2 clomid iui’s and one cancelled iui cycle due to overstimulation) and then ivf. I am thinking femara next, then injectible…

Good luck and :babydust:

what is femara? im on follistim and ovidrel and first iui didnt work.

We did 7. The 7th was really just a filler to get us to IVF, because we had to attend a 3 hours seminar before they would start the IVF protocol and the timing was such we decided to squeeze another IUI in before the IVF. It ended up working. I had to cancel our first appointment to set our IVF cycle.

But we are male factor only, I have no known issues so we were really just waiting for enough eggs and the right sperm count.

It just depends on what you are ready for.

Family Act of 2011

For all those who are considering IVF next year, I wanted to post this thread as I was trying to find where it was appropriate to put it. There are a couple of bills in Congress that provide a tax credit for IVF expenses. This would help offset the cost dramatically! If it is something you might be going to next year, take a minute and send a letter to Congressman or Senator using this site. Encourage this bill to be passed. The more people that do this the more it might help! I know my husband and I want to do IVF but it just is not affordable for us right now… Maybe this could be something that would help us offset some of the cost…

I did it and it only takes a minute or two.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]About the Family Act of 2011 Bill RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Good luck everyone! :cross: and :pray: for lots of :bfp: s![/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote=laurab0621]For all those who are considering IVF next year, I wanted to post this thread as I was trying to find where it was appropriate to put it. There are a couple of bills in Congress that provide a tax credit for IVF expenses. This would help offset the cost dramatically! If it is something you might be going to next year, take a minute and send a letter to Congressman or Senator using this site. Encourage this bill to be passed. The more people that do this the more it might help! I know my husband and I want to do IVF but it just is not affordable for us right now… Maybe this could be something that would help us offset some of the cost…

I did it and it only takes a minute or two.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]About the Family Act of 2011 Bill RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Good luck everyone! :cross: and :pray: for lots of :bfp: s![/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Thanks, laurab
I went on the site and added my name!! My husband and I are having the same problem. It costs so much to have IVF and insurance does NOT cover ANY of it!! :grr:

Most RE’s say 6 before moving onto IVF. But my RE says i’ll get to do more since we get BFP’s but no sticky beans. We have made the choice to do IVF in 2012 though.

My DH and I did 5 iui’s. We thought for sure that one of them would work. However we moved onto IVF at the instruction of our RE. He kept telling us that with my age he could say that it was a 99% chance of him getting me preggo on the first IVF cycle. At the time it was my DH whom was the issue. We didn’t realize that I had an issue until we ewent through the IVF cycle. We found a cyst which was blocking my fallopian tube which was preventing the eggs from travelling down the fallopian tube and into the uterus. This ultimately meant that the sperm was not making its way to the ultimate destination. SO thank goodness for IVF because our RE was right, the first time was a charm and we are expecting in January.

Good Luck in which ever way you choose… Lots of :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: to you…:flower:

Our RE recommended 6-8 IUI’s. We had decided to do a total of 10 to save for IVF and got pregnant on number 8. I am the problem and have PCOS.
I’m glad we did, as we now have our son.
IVF would have cost three times what we paid for the 8 IUI’s.

Our IUIs are relatively inexpensive so we’ve done 3 with Clomid. I hope we can at least do 2 more with a Femara/Follistim combo, but after that we’ll be done. I have endo so IUI generally isn’t even recommended, IVF is much more successful, but I’m 22 so my RE thinks we have plenty of time to do what we can afford.