hpt?

Who is a fan of taking an hpt before Beta and who isn’t?

I had a 5 day transfer on Friday and am debating if I even want to attempt an hpt in a few days. Hubs says absolutely not. On one hand I get that, but on the other if I am preg. I don’t want the thrill of waiting for that test taken away. Also if it was negative then I think I might be a little more prepared when they call after the beta and maybe I won’t break down crying on the phone with my nurse.

On the other hand I think I will be TERRIFIED of seeing that negative and maybe I should just wait until beta…although I know it is possible to get a false negative…is it possible to get a false positive once the hcg trigger is cleared out?

I didn’t want to do a hpt but DH did and when I got two very faint positives I thought that’s it am not pregnant and drove myself crazy for two days nightmares and all I took one today and it was positive but I won’t believe anything tell get my beta this sat so my advice is wait till u are at least 6dpt on a five day to start testing

GL I hope u get your :bfp:

I started testing at 3dp5dt so I knew the trigger was out if my system. When I got a positive on 5dp5dt I knew it was real. I kept testing every day until I got my beta results and the lines kept getting darker.

I did a hpt that was negative the morning of my beta with my first pregnancy. Whole heartedly expected a bfn when they called my results and suprise it was a bfp just to low to show up on the hpt. I did loose that baby but that was due to other reasons not the beta.
That being said, I tested at home 2 days before beta this time and got a bfp.
If you can take the test but not believe in it like its the end all and be all then I say have fun! Poas!

I never POAS until this last cycle; I just felt like I needed to be prepared to get bad news on the phone this time - so I did it the day before my beta so that I wouldn’t have to wait long to confirm a negative…but it was a very BFP! So, if you are going to do it, then this makes the most sense to me - POAS the day before or the morning of your beta so that you are prepared for the result, but so that you don’t have to wait very long to know for sure… Good luck! :babydust:

Thanks all…I think I am going to do it. but probably not until next week!

[quote=cinderellaseviltwin]Who is a fan of taking an hpt before Beta and who isn’t?

I had a 5 day transfer on Friday and am debating if I even want to attempt an hpt in a few days. Hubs says absolutely not. On one hand I get that, but on the other if I am preg. I don’t want the thrill of waiting for that test taken away. Also if it was negative then I think I might be a little more prepared when they call after the beta and maybe I won’t break down crying on the phone with my nurse.

On the other hand I think I will be TERRIFIED of seeing that negative and maybe I should just wait until beta…although I know it is possible to get a false negative…is it possible to get a false positive once the hcg trigger is cleared out?[/quote]

I don’t think you will get a false positive because the positive will only show up when hcg is high enough to be detectable, but you might get a false negative. I was so scared to face a negative at my last cycle, so I did the hpt after my blood was drawn and before the nurse called me with the result. I would say the right time to do hpt is whenever you are ready to face the result.

I am a POAS addict. I do it starting about 5 or 6 dp ER to test out the trigger and then see what happens. Even if its negative, I was always better at dealing with it on my own terms rather than hearing from someone else. Good luck :grouphug:

[quote=cinderellaseviltwin]Who is a fan of taking an hpt before Beta and who isn’t?

On the other hand I think I will be TERRIFIED of seeing that negative and maybe I should just wait until beta…although I know it is possible to get a false negative…is it possible to get a false positive once the hcg trigger is cleared out?[/quote]

I am struggling with this same thing right now! I am 9pt, and still no test. I am not going to take one. I almost did this afternoon. I really had to go pee pee on the way home from work. So I went into the bathroom (my cell phone was in my back pocket - this detail is important in a minute) and I am having a moral issue of to take, or not to take. So I go into my fertility bin in my linen closet and get out the one and only HPT test I have. And I go a little with it sitting next to me. Then I decide…stop! I’m going to take a test now (even though I know I should be doing this first thing in the a.m.) and I rip the corner of the test. And my phone rings. It was my DAD!!! And he never calls. So I am like FINE WORLD GOD KARMA!! I WON"T TAKE THE STINKING TEST! :grr:

Grrrr…So now I’m not going to.

Its a very personal choice. I am scared to get the no. This is my 7th time (3 IUI’s and 4th IVF) and I have never had a yes and have unexplained infertility, so…I am desperate for the yes!! So i’m scared to take the test and get a no. I know it doesn’t change the outcome but I’m going to wait. If I take one, it will be Sunday, before the Beta test, with just me and my hubby.

I’m with JennJack…I think I’m a POAS addict.

Most cycles, I take one around 9dpo to see if the trigger is gone. For me, it’s usually NOT, which was problematic this cycle because it never went away. It was very faint 3 and 4dp5dt, but started getting darker 5dp5dt. It’s now quite dark and I got a “pregnant” on a ClearBlue today at 7dp5dt, so I think this is the real deal.

Anyway, I agree with those who said that it’s nice to be prepared for the phone call by POAS ahead of time. I did NOT want to hear it on the phone…I wanted to see it and deal with it myself. And if the beta was a surprise BFP, great! It depends on what you want to do. I have a friend who just got her BFP and she refused to test ahead of time. My DH is also refusing to believe that we are :preg: until we get a positive beta. Whereas, I wanted to know right away!

Do what feels right for you, and best wishes!

I agree with most of the poster never test to early. I did 7 dp5dt however, I did not want to have the nurse call me and say positive or negative I wanted to prepare myself so I tested and it was very clear it was positive. I wouldnt test to early if your to nervous do it the morning of the Beta. In my situation the beta was done early in the morning and I didnt find out the results until that afternoon.

Well anyhow I wish you well and hope you get your BFP!!

Good Luck , i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!

:babydust:

My hubby was really against doing hpt’s too, but I really didn’t want to be told if it was negative over the phone from someone I barely knew so I felt I had to do them. I did them without his knowledge. Though I took pics of each day and he found them on my cell phone the day before the beta–LOL. I guess since it was positive he wasn’t upset.

I think I started them on 4 or 5dp5dpt and that was negative so I knew the trigger was out. I got what appeared to be a squinter on 6dp5dt, but didn’t give it any stock as I assumed it could still be trigger or just an evap since it wasn’t visible enough to see in a photo. I got a faint, but obvious positive on 7dp5dt and then spotted that day and the next (guess that was implantation, but it freaked me a bit). My hpt’s continued to be positive after that and got much darker by 10dp5dt. My first beta was an 89 at 11dp5dt.

Sending you lots of :babydust: :babydust: :cross:

I am scared of the no too, but I think for myself I have to do it. I told hubs I’d wait until at least Monday though!

Thanks for all your thoughts!