Husband recently diagnosed Azoospermia

Hello,

I’m new here and honestly never thought I’d be here. After 7 months of trying, we began testing on both my husband and me and found that he has Azoospermia. We’re in the middle of blood tests to discover if it’s hormonal or genetic.

I’ll be honest, I’m scared. And I feel very alone. We’re not telling anyone. We’ve already decided that we will not pursue IVF should it come to that, and I’m curious if anyone has had luck with other treatments to achieve natural pregnancy.

My we all find the peace and strength we and our husbands need!

Hi t.ryan,

Welcome to the forums! For us, the holdup seems to be from my side so I don’t have any advice on Azoospermia, but we do have some information in the articles section I believe. Please check that out. I hope others have some great advice for you and your husband too. Hang in there! It’s shocking to hear those types of results to tests but it’s not over yet. I hope everything works out for you in the baby department!

Hi t.ryan! There are a couple of older threads about azoo. No one has been posting on them recently but they are full of great information. My DH is azoo due to Kallmann’s Syndrome. We got him to produce a small amount of sperm with hcg and menopur. We still needed IVF though. Do you mind if I ask why you won’t do IVF?

T.Ryan. I’m sorry to hear for your troubles. I know this post is some months after you already posted, but if you are still in the same dilemma I think I will have some information that will help. I am a professional bodybuilder and at times throughout my life have ran high dosages of anabolic steroids. Everyone knows that steroids can kill your sperm count and cause azoospermia. This is exactly what happened to me. However, on three instances I was able to reverse it and father 3 beautiful healthy children. Once completing a heavy AAS cycle bodybuilders go on a Post Cycle Treatment. This PCT is used to wake up your natural testosterone and thus creating sperm again. Some of the PCT meds you may or may not have heard from your Dr. already. If you are interested in the protocol just let me know and I will be happy to post.

Big J -
Thank you so much for your post! I would be very grateful for any and all insight you could offer with your experience. After the blood test, we learned that my husband doesn’t have any genetic or chromosomal reasons for the lack of sperm. His testosterone was on the low side, so they’ve had him on Clomid for nearly 6 months. At the 3 month check in, still no swimmers. I understand that it takes 3 months to create sperm, so we have a 6 month check in early Decmeber. Our Doctor hasn’t offered us any alternatives - he seems to think it’s Clomid or bust. My husband is overweight. I was hoping that the testosterone might jump start some weight loss with exercise, but no luck so far. Thank you again for your helpful and hopeful post; I look forward to hearing back.

[QUOTE=“SuzyQ789, post: 1790405, member: 64665”]Hi t.ryan! There are a couple of older threads about azoo. No one has been posting on them recently but they are full of great information. My DH is azoo due to Kallmann’s Syndrome. We got him to produce a small amount of sperm with hcg and menopur. We still needed IVF though. Do you mind if I ask why you won’t do IVF?[/QUOTE]

Hi, SuzyQ!
Sorry I’m just getting to this–my email was throwing these messages in my spam folder. I’ll have to ask about HCG and Menopur. We still have no idea why my DH isn’t producing sperm as he doesn’t seem to have any genetic or chromosomal reasons for azoospermia.
We know several couples who have gone through IVF-including his sister–and so we are aware of the financial, emotional, spiritual, physical strain it can put on couples. Sometimes with no results. We decided that if that were the only option for us, we would rathe consider a life without children or consider adoption, including adopting the frozen embryos of other couples.
I wish you the best of luck with your treatment and IVF and pray a baby is on the way soon for you!

[QUOTE=“t.ryan, post: 1791963, member: 85226”]Big J -
Thank you so much for your post! I would be very grateful for any and all insight you could offer with your experience. After the blood test, we learned that my husband doesn’t have any genetic or chromosomal reasons for the lack of sperm. His testosterone was on the low side, so they’ve had him on Clomid for nearly 6 months. At the 3 month check in, still no swimmers. I understand that it takes 3 months to create sperm, so we have a 6 month check in early Decmeber. Our Doctor hasn’t offered us any alternatives - he seems to think it’s Clomid or bust. My husband is overweight. I was hoping that the testosterone might jump start some weight loss with exercise, but no luck so far. Thank you again for your helpful and hopeful post; I look forward to hearing back.[/QUOTE]

T.Ryan-
I will be happy to give you my protocol. It is great news that your husband had no genetic deficiencies so there is a good chance that this protocol could work.

1500iu HCG M,W,F,Sun
75iu HMG T, Th, S, Sun
50mg Clomid every day
20mg Nolvadex every day
50 mg Proviron every day

In addition to the above, I faithfully took the following vitamins everyday…
FertilAid
FertilAid BoostCount
Vitamin D3
Folic Acid
Vitamin C
Zinc
Magnesium
Tribulus
Mucuna Pruriens

I know this may seem like a lot, but sometimes you need all these components to get the job done. If the clomid only doesn’t work, you still have hope. By using this I went from zero sperm count to 85million/ml in 4 months.

[QUOTE=“Big J, post: 1791971, member: 86411”]T.Ryan-
I will be happy to give you my protocol. It is great news that your husband had no genetic deficiencies so there is a good chance that this protocol could work.

1500iu HCG M,W,F,Sun
75iu HMG T, Th, S, Sun
50mg Clomid every day
20mg Nolvadex every day
50 mg Proviron every day

In addition to the above, I faithfully took the following vitamins everyday…
FertilAid
FertilAid BoostCount
Vitamin D3
Folic Acid
Vitamin C
Zinc
Magnesium
Tribulus
Mucuna Pruriens

I know this may seem like a lot, but sometimes you need all these components to get the job done. If the clomid only doesn’t work, you still have hope. By using this I went from zero sperm count to 85million/ml in 4 months.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the words of hope…and the protocol! Now, does Nolvadex and/or Proviron require a prescription? We have our last follow up appointment next week for the Clomid and if we’re still not seeing at sperm, I want to able to ask about these if we need a prescription.

I’ve heard good things about FertilAid. I’ll definitely be looking into it. And trying to inspire the love of my life to consider taking all of these vitamins and pills! :slight_smile:

Hi has your doctor 100% ruled out CABVD? (absence of the Vas Deferen tubes). I spent 12 months “barking up the wrong tree” with the wrong urologist & endocrinologist who told me I had Kallman’s syndrome and my testicles weren’t producing sperm. I got several second opinions and found out that they had overlooked the basic fact that I’m missing the Vas Deferens. My testicles are producing sperm, there’s just no way for them to get out. I also have very low testosterone which was the red herring and ultimately inconsequential. We were very fortunate to be successful first time with Mesa / IVF and our beautiful boy is 1 year old. Best of luck!

[QUOTE=“EternallyGrateful, post: 1792152, member: 86487”]Hi has your doctor 100% ruled out CABVD? (absence of the Vas Deferen tubes). I spent 12 months “barking up the wrong tree” with the wrong urologist & endocrinologist who told me I had Kallman’s syndrome and my testicles weren’t producing sperm. I got several second opinions and found out that they had overlooked the basic fact that I’m missing the Vas Deferens. My testicles are producing sperm, there’s just no way for them to get out. I also have very low testosterone which was the red herring and ultimately inconsequential. We were very fortunate to be successful first time with Mesa / IVF and our beautiful boy is 1 year old. Best of luck![/QUOTE]

Hello. After two (rather brief, in my opinion) physical examinations, our urologist said it was very unlikely that it was an issue with the Vas Deferen tubes. I asked him how he could/would know for sure and he said to know for sure, he’d have to do a biopsy on the testicles and see if there were any sperm that way. I am intrigued that you too had low testosterone and it proved a red herring since that’s all our doctor could find wrong. We have our six-month (and final) check up today with him to see if the Clomid did anything. I’m ready to seek a second opinion, but I’m not sure my husband is. If we don’t get hopeful results today, we may take a break before deciding to pursue a second opinion. I’m also looking in to the protocol listed by Big J.

Thanks for your story and words of support.

[QUOTE=“t.ryan, post: 1790126, member: 85226”]Hello,

I’m new here and honestly never thought I’d be here. After 7 months of trying, we began testing on both my husband and me and found that he has Azoospermia. We’re in the middle of blood tests to discover if it’s hormonal or genetic.

I’ll be honest, I’m scared. And I feel very alone. We’re not telling anyone. We’ve already decided that we will not pursue IVF should it come to that, and I’m curious if anyone has had luck with other treatments to achieve natural pregnancy.

My we all find the peace and strength we and our husbands need![/QUOTE]

This is the condition in men in which there are no sperm in the semen. But the semen looks completely like normal and the men is also having normal sex functions. Man with Azoospermia need to undergo with some laboratory tests to identify the exact problem. There are mainly two reasons for zero count. First one is due to jamming of the ducts, which carry from testes to the penis, called as obstructive azoospermia. This results in the blockage in reproductive ducts. The second reason is because of a testicular breakdown, at the testes cannot have capability of production. This is called as non-obstructive azoospermia. This problem is identified with the testicular size or with FSH blood test. If FSH is high and the testes are very small in size, this is the indication for non-obstructive azoospermia. after carefully analysing the main reason for Azoospermia, proceed to the next steps of treatment that is testis biopsy . There are two options for testis biopsy or TESA: one is diagnostic and other one is therapeutic. Most of the doctors are going for diagnostic treatment as it is very easy and less expensive. Unfortunately this treatment has very less results.
[LIST]
[]it is highly recommend that therapeutic TESE- ICSI rather than diagnostic. If the tests identify the sperms in the test, ICSI treatment is given for increasing the success rates. If there is no sperm in the semen, go for donor sperm to fertilize the released egg.
[
]Better guidance will make you better! Gaining peace of mind and taking enriched treatment for success is only possible to have baby

[/LIST]