Hypothyroid and ivf?

i was on .112mcg synthroid and just upped it to .125. My levels are around 3 and need to be lower. Anyone have experience w this?

I was able to get my TSH down from a 3 to a 1 with 50mcg. It took me two months since I did one month at 25mcg and that didn’t work so had to increase to 50mcg. They told me they wanted anything under 2.5 and ideally at a 1. When I started my IVF cycle my TSH was 0.7.

After this I told my sister who had been trying for two years to get pregnant. She had her thyroid tested and her TSH was found to be around a 3 as well. She explained to her OB that my RE told me a 1 was ideal for conceiving and she wanted to try that. Her Doc was open to this and gave her 25mcg. A month later her TSH was at a 1 and she found out a week after that she was pregnant. She is now 16wks.

Good Luck! :flower:

If you are trying to conceive naturally your thyroid needs to be functioning at optimal levels. Hypothyroid (slow) causes you to not ovulate, even if your cycles are perfect 28 days. Hyperthyroid (too fast) can cause miscarriages.

When we were ttc #2 my thyroid was too fast due to me self medicating to jump start ovulation. Once they fixed that and got it back to normal range, we conceived through IUI. They wouldn’t treat if it was too fast due to the miscarriage risk, however if it is too slow they can overcome the ovulation problem and will move forward.

You still need to have it basically in a low (slow) to normal range throughout pregnancy.

Hmmm I just found out my levels are 4.67

I have to go back in two weeks to have my T4 checked. The new standards are 3 and below (I think).

Would this prevent me from conceiving with IVF?

Sounds like hypothyroidism. From my own experience, they can induce ovulation with meds and I got pregnant and had a successful pregnancy with my levels clearly in the hypo range.

[quote=iheartmemories]Hmmm I just found out my levels are 4.67

I have to go back in two weeks to have my T4 checked. The new standards are 3 and below (I think).

Would this prevent me from conceiving with IVF?[/quote]

[QUOTE=littleitalian]Sounds like hypothyroidism. From my own experience, they can induce ovulation with meds and I got pregnant and had a successful pregnancy with my levels clearly in the hypo range.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply!

I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism during my pre-IVF testing by my RE. TSH was above 5. Went to see an endocrinologist, who wasn’t horribly concerned but did put me on 50 mcg of Synthroid daily. I can’t tell you how much better I feel just with this little move in my thyroid levels! I used to feel tired all the time, had heart palpitations, and my hair was falling out. No more of any of that. Crazy.

I am currently in the 2ww so who knows if it helped, but hypothyroid can affect the development of the baby in the first trimester.