I am on injectables

Ok so as u know i am on injectables (follistim) so i am used to being on femara. so starting cd5 i would start to OPK just to ensure that i didnt get a surge on my own before the trigger day. well this morning i freaked out because it turned positive, its only cd8 and my body shouldnt be doing this yet. so just to make sure, i took another one about 2 hrs later, and it was negative. So i freaked out and called the drs office as soon as they opened. it was a different nurse that called me back then my usual nurse, she basically yelled at me for taking the OPKs and said that I shouldnt be doing them. She said that on injectables the OPK can come back false positive…is this right? i guess no matter how long i have been doing this, i am still learning about it all the time!

second question is i read someone suffered OHSS and had 3 follicles,…i thought u needed alot to suffer from OHSS? just curious, cause i had 4 and i am feel a lot of cramping but my e2 is still normal as of my last apt

I have been using follistim and my clinic has never instructed me to use OPK’s. I don’t know about false positives, but their protocol usually is: CD3 ultrasound, follistim for 5 days then blood work and ultrasound on CD 10 to check follicle growth. The blood draw includes LH levels, which tell the doctor if you are surging or not. Depending on the E2 and LH levels, I usually go back for ultrasounds and bloodwork 1-3 more times in the next several days then trigger. So if your clinic is doing blood work during the cycle they will know if your LH is surging.

OHSS can be very mild to severe, and it usually gets worse after the trigger shot. Last cycle I had 4 follicles and after the trigger had extreme bloating and was uncomfortable for a few weeks. If you are in any type of severe pain call your doctor ASAP, but some bloating and discomfort has been normal for me. My clinic also says to monitor your weight, any significant gain in 24 hours (5 lbs. or more) can mean severe OHSS. Hope this helps!

[quote=daisy31]I have been using follistim and my clinic has never instructed me to use OPK’s. I don’t know about false positives, but their protocol usually is: CD3 ultrasound, follistim for 5 days then blood work and ultrasound on CD 10 to check follicle growth. The blood draw includes LH levels, which tell the doctor if you are surging or not. Depending on the E2 and LH levels, I usually go back for ultrasounds and bloodwork 1-3 more times in the next several days then trigger. So if your clinic is doing blood work during the cycle they will know if your LH is surging.

OHSS can be very mild to severe, and it usually gets worse after the trigger shot. Last cycle I had 4 follicles and after the trigger had extreme bloating and was uncomfortable for a few weeks. If you are in any type of severe pain call your doctor ASAP, but some bloating and discomfort has been normal for me. My clinic also says to monitor your weight, any significant gain in 24 hours (5 lbs. or more) can mean severe OHSS. Hope this helps![/quote]

My clinic has pretty much the same protocol as yours Daisy. My re told me as this cycle is my first on injectables she did want to do U/S and E2 level on CD 7, to determine if any dose change is needed. I would go back for follow up on CD10 for u/s and bw. She has asked me not to use opk at all also.

OHSS, sometimes it depends more on E2 level than just the follicle count. And though I am not at risk for that I have been told about the weight gain of 5 or more within 24-36 hrs period to call them.

Hope this help.

I don’t have any personal experience with this, but something I read a while ago led me to believe that with injectable meds you won’t have your natural surge, which is why you need the trigger shot to ovulate. I could have misunderstood what I read, but I think you should probably just skip the OPKs…hard to do when you’re in the habit of it though, I know. Also, they should have told you this rather than assumed you knew it. I think sometimes our REs/nurses assume we know everything that they do and forget it’s their job to tell us what to do…except, of course, when we do something wrong or suggest something that might help us get pregnant!

Good luck this cycle!!

thanks guys…my clincic had me fo in CD2 for US, started injections cd3-7 went in CD7 for US and BW then after the results, adjust dose as needed (but mine was right on target so no change), then back CD9 (today). I trigger tonight at 10 and go in friday for IUI @ 10am.
aas far as the pain, i feel better today, i think yesterdaywas so worse because i was so stressed with work and everything. fingers crossed this is OUR MONTH LADIES!