I am so heartbroken right now

Hello Ladies,

I am new to the site, and just wanted to see if any of you have overcome my situation. After years and years of fertility treatment, I guess i have ran my course.

Went to see RE today and he pretty much told me that my time of ttc has ended. I am 38 years old with PCOS, Endometrosis and Diabetese. I have had 3 miscarriages in a 2 year period, in which i conceived naturally with no fertility help. He told me to consider IVF with a surrogate, because those three things would pretty much cause me to miscarry every time.

It took everything in my power not to break down in his office, as i am writing this. I am so heartbroken.

Have any of you ladies managed to have successful pregnancies with all three factors.
:(:frowning:

:pray: for you on this journey! I hope you can get some answers!

Wantababy - I’m so sorry to hear about what you’re going through. I don’t have a success story to share, but based on everything I’ve read on this thread, I don’t think you should give up. At the very least, get a second opinion.

First of all, I have never heard of someone being told they would miscarry every time they got pregnant! Yes, your risks are higher due to the PCOS and that you’re not getting any younger, but there are tons of 38 year old + women on these boards who have PCOS and have had healthy pregnancies. I would post your question on the PCOS thread to get the best response/advice. I hadn’t heard that endo increases your risk of miscarriage, but I really don’t know anything about it, and I’m not sure what the diabetes would do to cause you to miscarry. I would think it would be more a risk to you than the baby, but again I don’t know much about it. In any case, make sure you understand why your Dr. thinks that these three things in combo will result in loss every time.

Do you know why you had the 3 losses? For eg did you have any chromosome tests done on the babies? Have you had recurrent pregnancy loss testing to rule out clotting and auto immune issues? There may be something you could do improve your chances next time around.

Also, (assuming money’s not stopping you), it may be worth it to do IVF yourself. That way at least they can see how your eggs are looking, fertilizing and dividing, and put the best embryos back in. Of course, it doesn’t prevent you from having miscarriage again, but at least can give you better picture of what’s going on inside your body and help you decide if it’s worth it to keep trying.

Good luck, I hope you find some better answers.

[quote=wantababysoon]Hello Ladies,

I am new to the site, and just wanted to see if any of you have overcome my situation. After years and years of fertility treatment, I guess i have ran my course.

Went to see RE today and he pretty much told me that my time of ttc has ended. I am 38 years old with PCOS, Endometrosis and Diabetese. I have had 3 miscarriages in a 2 year period, in which i conceived naturally with no fertility help. He told me to consider IVF with a surrogate, because those three things would pretty much cause me to miscarry every time.

It took everything in my power not to break down in his office, as i am writing this. I am so heartbroken.

Have any of you ladies managed to have successful pregnancies with all three factors.
:(:([/quote]

Have you gotten a second opinion?

I would say definitely see a new RE. My friend who was in the same age range as you has: diabetes, PCOS, endo??, Chrohn’s, obesity, etc. She now has six children. Three were natural; three IVF with ICSI. She did have a miscarriage along the way…they discovered (with a new RE) that she needed to take metformin during pregnancy (for her this was thought to prevent miscarriage). I would see another doctor. At 38, you still have time. Good luck and blessings to you.

Thanks Ladies

That RE was my second opinion - He did say that the three factors along with my age would definitely make it almost impossible to carry. I know that I don’t want to give up, but it was just so disappointing to hear that today.

Thanks ladies for the support

I’m so sorry you’re going through this!! :grouphug: While that is hard to hear, at least, once you’re able to, you can make some decisions about what you’d like to do. The choice is always yours - when to stop, what procedures to do, etc. Again, so sorry and I hope you are able to complete your family in whatever way you choose.