I delivered at 26 weeks...

Hi All -

I’m not writing this to freak anyone out…but I have been posting on this board since my pregnancy began and I felt the need to update everyone on what has happened.

What has happened is the unbelievable. My water broke (with no warning) at 26 weeks 2 days. I was rushed to the emergency room…with optimistically no other signs of labor. They confirmed my water broke and then I went thru a 36 hour period of steroid shots (to build up the babies’ lungs) and magnesium IV (to prevent labor). After the 36 hours they took me off the magnesium and without any other signs of labor, it looked promising I would be on strict bed rest in the hospital for about 7 weeks…carefully monitored. I hoped to deliver at 34 weeks.

About 24 hours after they stopped the magnesium I went into labor. They couldn’t stop it. I was having contractions and when they checked me I was already 3 cm. dilated with Baby A’s hand sticking out! I was rushed into the OR for an emergency c-section.

As soon as I came out of the operating room they put Baby A on my chest. She had passed way after only a few breaths. She looked perfect.

Baby B is currently the equivalent of 27 weeks and 2 days. She is doing really well in the NICU. Breathing on her own and using a feeding tube. We are very hopeful for her progress! And looking forward till we can take her home.

I TRULY HOPE THAT NONE OF YOU HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THE PAIN OF LOSING A CHILD OR HAVING A PRE-TERM BABY THAT NEEDS NICU SUPPORT. But I needed to share my story.

Summer

Thank you for sharing… So sorry for your loss. I pray your little one will continue to do well! Bright blessings to you and your family.

[QUOTE=summerbaby]Hi All -

I’m not writing this to freak anyone out…but I have been posting on this board since my pregnancy began and I felt the need to update everyone on what has happened.

What has happened is the unbelievable. My water broke (with no warning) at 26 weeks 2 days. I was rushed to the emergency room…with optimistically no other signs of labor. They confirmed my water broke and then I went thru a 36 hour period of steroid shots (to build up the babies’ lungs) and magnesium IV (to prevent labor). After the 36 hours they took me off the magnesium and without any other signs of labor, it looked promising I would be on strict bed rest in the hospital for about 7 weeks…carefully monitored. I hoped to deliver at 34 weeks.

About 24 hours after they stopped the magnesium I went into labor. They couldn’t stop it. I was having contractions and when they checked me I was already 3 cm. dilated with Baby A’s hand sticking out! I was rushed into the OR for an emergency c-section.

As soon as I came out of the operating room they put Baby A on my chest. She had passed way after only a few breaths. She looked perfect.

Baby B is currently the equivalent of 27 weeks and 2 days. She is doing really well in the NICU. Breathing on her own and using a feeding tube. We are very hopeful for her progress! And looking forward till we can take her home.

I TRULY HOPE THAT NONE OF YOU HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THE PAIN OF LOSING A CHILD OR HAVING A PRE-TERM BABY THAT NEEDS NICU SUPPORT. But I needed to share my story.

Summer[/QUOTE]

Word can’t even begin to express my condolences to you and your family.

I am so very sorry for your loss and can’t begin to imagine what you are going through.

My heart goes out to you and I will keep you in my thoughts and :pray: that your surviving daughter will pull through fine…

Thank you for sharing your story with us…

:grouphug:

[B]Oh my god oh my god oh my god!!! I pray everything is okay with baby b and pray for fast recovery and good health…why did baby A passed away!!! That is …beyond words… Omg:pray: [/B]

Oh my goodness. Thinking of you and your family. Praying for all of you and wishing the best for your surviving daughter. What a tough time this must be. I am so happy they have care for babies born pre-term.

I am so sorry for you loss… Prayers to you, your baby and family.

I am just so sorry for what you’ve gone through! I am praying for you, your baby, and comfort over the loss of baby’s twins. :pray:

I’m so sorry for both the loss of your precious baby and that you now have to face the challenge of being the mother of a premature baby. I know the heartache I felt when I had to deliver my twins at 25w3d and I can tell you that somehow you find strength that you never knew you had. Our NICU stay was 18 weeks and the best way to describe it is like being on a roller coaster blind-folded. The days ahead will be tough and I hope you have the support you need through friends and family. If you would like to talk or just to vent, please PM me.

Words cannot express how very sorry I am for your loss. I cannot imagine what you have gone through. I will pray for your baby and that she gets stronger and stronger. I am just so, so sorry that you have gone through this but know we are all thinking of you.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Good luck to baby B. I will pray that things go well for her and that she pulls through with no issues what so ever. I am so sorry about the loss of Baby A. May you find peace with it. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Oh my God, Summer! I burst into tears when I read your message. I’m so sorry for your loss. Hopefully Baby B continues to make strides and that you find peace.

One of my biggest fears is going into labor without warning – I was at the hospital this past week (at request of peri because I had a +FFN test) but staff there sent me home after steroid shots because I was less than 1 cm dilated (which could always increase without me knowing) & the monitor showed I was having minimal contractions–none of which I felt! The nurse said come back if contractions are present. I said I never feel contractions to begin with because my stomach is so tight anyway. It’s like I’m a ticking time bomb and the same thing could happen to me. Things change so fast during the last half of pregnancy.

Also, thank you for pointing out the info about Mag sulfate…and, while often helpful, how it’s not necessarily the miracle “drip” some might think it is.

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. I know that you have a long road ahead of you with Baby B but we are all pulling for her.

Thank you all for your kind responses!

BabiesAreCute - I know your sig. file says you are on bed rest. Can they put you on bed rest in the hospital? It is not pleasant but you would be monitored every 4 hours. I woke up at 4 a.m. with mild contractions. They checked my cervix at 4:30 a.m. to find I was 3 cm dialated and that Baby A was already coming out. I delivered at 5:05 a.m. It went FAST. Especially with triplets your babies will be small so milder contractions could get them started. I dunno…I might push my Dr. for in-hospital bed rest.

Good luck…I’m sure everything will be fine. They know you have triplets so I’m sure they will do everything to make sure you are all safe.

Summer

[QUOTE=summerbaby]Thank you all for your kind responses!

BabiesAreCute - I know your sig. file says you are on bed rest. Can they put you on bed rest in the hospital? It is not pleasant but you would be monitored every 4 hours. I woke up at 4 a.m. with mild contractions. They checked my cervix at 4:30 a.m. to find I was 3 cm dialated and that Baby A was already coming out. I delivered at 5:05 a.m. It went FAST. Especially with triplets your babies will be small so milder contractions could get them started. I dunno…I might push my Dr. for in-hospital bed rest.

Good luck…I’m sure everything will be fine. They know you have triplets so I’m sure they will do everything to make sure you are all safe.

Summer[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your advice. I go back to the doctor Wednesday and will ask for hospital bed rest.

I am so sorry Summerbaby. I was in tears while reading your story. I dont even know what to say. I will be praying for you and your Family and of course your lil fighter! May you and your hubby find peace. I am also pregnant with twins and I am so scared something might happen to one.

Diana -

The odds are in your favor…more than likely your twins will be fine!

Best wishes! Summer

summerbaby,

I am so sorry for your loss of Baby A. Lots of prayers that Baby B continues to get strong and grow. What kind of support is she getting in the NICU?

You have gone through the unimaginable and yet you try to comfort others. You are a special woman.

What did you name the babies? Are you able to get to the hospital easily despite the driving restriction?

I hope that you are getting the love and support you need.

So sorry you had to go through this. Praying that Baby will be okay and you will have peace through all of this.

Dear Summberbaby,

I am so sorry for your loss and for what you had to/have to go through. Please try to stay strong. Words cannot describe how upset I am for you and your family. Wishing a ton of strength for your lil fighter.

Praying for your NICU baby Summer…so sorry to hear about the loss of your other twin. Stay strong!!!