I feel really stupid asking this question....

But here it goes anyways…

What does everyone do to entertain their babies all day?! I realize how absolutely ridiculous this sounds…but I don’t know if I am doing enough with my 4 month old. When he’s not sleeping or eating, our typical day consists of:

30 minutes in the jumperoo
20-25 minutes of watching a Baby Einstein
1 hour+ walk (he usually sleeps through this)(and it depends on the weather)
1 hour of Tummy time broken up into different parts of the day-we work on rolling over, grasping things, tracking, etc while doing tummy time
(he also gets physical therapy 1x a week, so I work on the stretches, head control exercises etc that she gives us. Also working with him on sitting.)
Reading stories and singing silly songs, about 20 -30 minutes once or twice a day

The rest of the time he sits with me and cuddles while I’m on the computer or watching TV. Sometimes he’ll hang out in his swing for awhile while he’s awake while I vacuum, do dishes, or cook

Is there something else I should be doing? Is this about par for his age group? I just don’t want to not do enough and bore him…stupid right?!

[quote=charlie’smom]But here it goes anyways…

What does everyone do to entertain their babies all day?! I realize how absolutely ridiculous this sounds…but I don’t know if I am doing enough with my 4 month old. When he’s not sleeping or eating, our typical day consists of:

30 minutes in the jumperoo
20-25 minutes of watching a Baby Einstein
1 hour+ walk (he usually sleeps through this)(and it depends on the weather)
1 hour of Tummy time broken up into different parts of the day-we work on rolling over, grasping things, tracking, etc while doing tummy time
(he also gets physical therapy 1x a week, so I work on the stretches, head control exercises etc that she gives us. Also working with him on sitting.)
Reading stories and singing silly songs, about 20 -30 minutes once or twice a day

The rest of the time he sits with me and cuddles while I’m on the computer or watching TV. Sometimes he’ll hang out in his swing for awhile while he’s awake while I vacuum, do dishes, or cook

Is there something else I should be doing? Is this about par for his age group? I just don’t want to not do enough and bore him…stupid right?![/quote]

Awww…it sounds like you are doing a perfect job with him. I talked to my boys a lot. By the time my oldest was 4 months he had Da Da down pat. I don’t think there is anything that you can do that is wrong besides just not spending quality time with them. As long as you have a schedule for him and he is responding well and is a happy baby I say Good Job Mommy!!

First of all kuddos to you Kate for getting in 1 hr of tummy time/day. My son will sit and play for 1-2 hrs on the floor but I can only get about 5 min of tummy time in per session. I try to do it 3-4 times per day.
I used to feel the same way. But, think about how much time he is actually awake during the day. For example my little guy is awake for 9-10 hrs/day. So it looks like you are actively engaging him about 4 hrs/day. Then think about how much time he spends eating. And babies need time to relax too. Hes learning just from being around you. Ive also started trying to make a conscious effort to talk out loud to myself. Describe what Im doing even if Im not talking directly to him. Looks to me like you’re doing great.

We pretty much did the same things. And we look at flashcards too.

Thanks Ladies. I feel better LOL.

Sounds like what we did (or grandma/grandpa did while we were at work) with Gabe at the same point. I used to worry about getting enough learning, quality time, etc., but my guy is flourishing at almost 9 months old so we must have done something right!

A couple of other ideas…Gabe loves listening to kid’s CDs while he’s jumping. Also at 4 months we got him a Baby Einstein activity center and that entertains him for a while too. There’s a lot on there to develop his motor skills and he can exercise his legs some too.