I know Nothing about IVF

Hello ladies,

I just got a BFN after my second IUI. My RE recommends that in order to continue we need to move to IVF.

I know pretty much nothing about IVF.

If any of you can give me any advice or insight I would really appreciate it.

What sort of things should I know before we talk to our RE again?
What kind of timeline does IVF involve?
There is so many things I want to know, but don’t know where to start.

I never thought IVF would be an option for me… however I just can’t give up on my baby dream… so I want to find a way to make this work.

Thanks for listening.

Welcome to the world of IVF! Obviously, we could all write novels about IVF but here would be my top 5 words of advice:

1. You have zero control of the outcome - no matter how much you research, how many questions you ask or how much you think about it - you either will or will not be successful. I’m telling you that to help you reliquish control over the process because ultimately, it is out of your hands. (Read: you can relax a little about trying to control it!) :slight_smile:

2. Join a support group here when you find out what month/season you will be cycling. By following the stories of ladies going ahead of you, you’ll know what to expect which should relieve anxiety. Warning: support groups are only as good as what you put in. You can’t go on and talk about yourself and expect to get much out of it. I try to spend 90% of my time on the forum responding to others and cheering along others. I’ve found that by doing that, I get the same support back.

3. The IVF process is not that big of a deal. The needles are tiny. The side effects are minimal for most women. The worst part is the emotional roller coaster that you will go through. Try to manage your expectations.

Good luck - ask any questions!!!

[quote=wishin2bbabyblessed]Hello ladies,

I just got a BFN after my second IUI. My RE recommends that in order to continue we need to move to IVF.

I know pretty much nothing about IVF.

If any of you can give me any advice or insight I would really appreciate it.

What sort of things should I know before we talk to our RE again?
What kind of timeline does IVF involve?
There is so many things I want to know, but don’t know where to start.

I never thought IVF would be an option for me… however I just can’t give up on my baby dream… so I want to find a way to make this work.

Thanks for listening.[/quote]
There really is not set timeline for IVF. It depends on the protocol your RE thinks will give you the best chances. You can go anywhere from 2 weeks of meds all the way up to 6 weeks of meds.

This support forum is wonderful with experienced ladies… so as you start your journey you will have tons of questions and you will get advice and tips from ladies that have pretty much seen it all.

Thanks for your reply[B] LDCroce29[/B], [B]Angel02760[/B], [B]essemkay.

[/B]I don’t really know yet what I am doing. I will have to have a chat with RE. As hard as it is for me to do right now, I am going to be sitting all this stuff out until Christmas is over. Then pick up my baby focus again in the new year. If IVF is my only option left, then I am just going to have to go for it.

There is such a wonderful group of women in the forum, and I look forward to learning about this process from all of them.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Hey wishin! I was terrified after my second IUI failed and the RE said we would be moving onto IVF. So far so good! I am on my third day of stims and the needles arent bad at all. I should have my ER next weekend. Just take a deep breath and handle each thing as it comes one at a time! You’ll be fine. Good luck i will have my :cross: for you!!!

[quote=wishin2bbabyblessed]Thanks for your reply[B] LDCroce29[/B], [B]Angel02760[/B], [B]essemkay.[/B]

I don’t really know yet what I am doing. I will have to have a chat with RE. As hard as it is for me to do right now, I am going to be sitting all this stuff out until Christmas is over. Then pick up my baby focus again in the new year. If IVF is my only option left, then I am just going to have to go for it.

There is such a wonderful group of women in the forum, and I look forward to learning about this process from all of them.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.[/quote]
I felt the same way on my first IVF… I didn’t know what I was doing and afraid to mess things up. So [B]everytime[/B] I had a question I called my nurse. It’s really not as complicated as I made it out to be.

wow [B]jasonsmommy5[/B] you really did jump into IVF quickly. I am kinda jealous, because right now doing nothing is kinda killing me. Why couldn’t that second IUI just have worked!!

I did injections for my IUI, so that cured me of my fear of needles…lol.

My biggest concerns for IVF are:
-The cost of it
-And what if it doesn’t work (I defiantly cant afford to do it more than once)
-And how much time I would need off work, and when.
(I don’t want to tell anyone that I would be doing IVF - so it is really hard to get the right days off work.)

I think that is what stressed me out the most about IUI. Getting time off work for u/s and IUI itself. And I am sure IVF would require even more dr visits…urgh.

Jasonsmom - I wish you the best of luck this month. I hope everything goes smoothly for you, and you get your BFP!!

Please keep me posted.

I think every RE is different but IVF can cost approx $10,000 or more…yes it is VERY expensive but they do say it increases your chances of getting pregnant significantly. I am lucky cause my insurance covers everything. I probably wouldnt be doing it if it didnt unfortunately. I had to tell my nurse manager I was doing IVF cause it does require a bit more days off than the IUI. So EVERYONE at work knows which i’m not to thrilled about but what can I do? I really wish the 2 IUI worked… then we wouldnt be in this predicament would we? You should sit down and discuss things with your RE and the sit down with your DH and make a decision. I wish you the best of luck. And yes it came so fast for me I was super surprised!

[quote=LDCroce29]Welcome to the world of IVF! Obviously, we could all write novels about IVF but here would be my top 5 words of advice:

1. You have zero control of the outcome - no matter how much you research, how many questions you ask or how much you think about it - you either will or will not be successful. I’m telling you that to help you reliquish control over the process because ultimately, it is out of your hands. (Read: you can relax a little about trying to control it!) :slight_smile:

2. Join a support group here when you find out what month/season you will be cycling. By following the stories of ladies going ahead of you, you’ll know what to expect which should relieve anxiety. Warning: support groups are only as good as what you put in. You can’t go on and talk about yourself and expect to get much out of it. I try to spend 90% of my time on the forum responding to others and cheering along others. I’ve found that by doing that, I get the same support back.

3. The IVF process is not that big of a deal. The needles are tiny. The side effects are minimal for most women. The worst part is the emotional roller coaster that you will go through. Try to manage your expectations.

Good luck - ask any questions!!![/quote]

I totally agree with your points. I couldnt have put it better. x