If it were you... would you be hopeful?


On CD12 I went in for an ultrasound to check my lining and follicle development to prepare for IUI. For this (unmedicated) cycle I had 3 follicles, one of which my doc thought was too far gone, but she had hope for the other two. She advised that we do an IUI that day (much to my surprise!). Because we hadn’t caught things ahead of time, I also triggered that same day. This was a totally unusual chain of events for me, but my husband and I decided to try a couple cycles with my regular ob/gyn before going back to my RE who is an hour and 45 minutes away.


I didn’t have a ton of hope for this cycle. On 14dpiui I had a faint positive on a FRER. I went in for a beta and it came back at [B]16.9.[/B] I assumed it would be a chemical pregnancy. I went back in again two days later (after begging to not have to wait a week as I was originally instructed) and to my great surprise found out my hcg had risen to [B]32.1[/B] (44 hours doubling time). The nurse sounded really positive and said congratulations, and that the doubling looked good but that I should come back in next week for another test.

I was so shocked and had been prepared for the worst. I was super excited for the rest of the afternoon. However, over the weekend, I started to lose hope again. The numbers are SO low! I don’t really understand how they could be that low and still be viable when I am this far past iui.

Anyone out there with a similar story? If so, what was the outcome?

I’ve read lots of positive stories about low but doubling betas, but I worry that they are mostly from people who miscalculated their ovulation date. Because of the trigger and IUI I can’t really be wrong with my dates, right?

Anyway, thanks for reading… and I’d love to know if any of you were in the same boat what your mental/emotional state would be? My husband is super optimistic and excited and I’m just worried and scared.


My beta was only 89 at 11dp5dt so that would be 16 days past retrieval and 18 days past trigger. If you put your iui on the same day as my trigger then that means that your beta at 16 days past of 32 could be 64 on 18 days past so…sounds pretty close to me. I have seen plenty of others on here with similar numbers to that on similar days with good outcomes so…

Beta’s have to start somewhere so as long as they are doubling and rising all looks good. SO to answer your question–YES I would be hopeful! Try to stay positive! :pray:'ing with you that your next beta looks good too. :bsv:


Update – More Beta #*!

Thanks for the :bsv: !

I got my third set of beta results today and was initially so excited! The nurse said that my numbers were rising as they should and that she’d like to schedule an 8 week ultrasound. I was elated and scheduled the appointment. Then I asked what the number was… 92.9.

How could they say the numbers were rising the way they were supposed to??? That’s a doubling time of almost 75 hours! And for 21 dpiui that number is incredibly low!

I called back about 15 minutes after getting the initial call, once I had checked the HCG doubling calculator etc. I asked them why they were hopeful enough to schedule an ultrasound. They said that the fact that the numbers had initially doubled, were continuing to go up and that my initial progesterone was high (29) was what made them think that an ultrasound was the next logical step.

I am still rather dumbfounded. From what I’ve read, most other doctors would be very hesitant with those numbers if not coming right out and saying that a miscarriage is likely.

Anyway, I talked them into a repeat HCG and Progesterone test on Thursday. So more waiting…

In the meantime, I’m going to try not to obsess over it. Wish me luck!


The ultrasound is more accurate and more indicative of what is going on in there than beta’s are and at 8wks they should see a heartbeat, yolk, and sac. There would be no reason to jump the gun so to speak based solely on beta’s. At this point an ultrasound is really what they need to see what is going on and if all looks good. If all looks fine on the ultrasound then they aren’t so concerned with the beta’s as a heartbeat and progressing embryo’s tell them all is viable and thus overrides blood results.

Hope all looks good! :bsv:


I got my :cross: for you! I just posted a thread to bad I did’t see yours first. My re is 200 miles away too and I am debating if I should have my ob do the iui. This will be my first and only iui due to insurance :grr:
Good luck :bsv:



Thanks for the response! I know an ultrasound is ultimately much more accurate in predicting the viability of a pregnancy than hcg numbers, but perhaps I’m just too impatient! The thought of waiting until April 3rd for more information just sounded like torture!!

I leave for a trip to visit relatives on Friday night and will be gone for a week, so hopefully that will take my mind off of things. But I guess I pushed for the Thursday beta because I just wanted more information before we left. If it seems likely that I’ll miscarry, I would like to prepare myself (emotionally at least) for that happening at my in-laws. :eek:


Oh Wow–I guess I wasn’t realizing that you would have to wait until April for your 8wk ultrasound. Soooo totally understand why you wanted another beta now. :pray:'ing with you that is comes back good though and you don’t even have to worry about an m/c while you are out of town. Let us know what you find out plz! Pulling for you!!:flower:


:bsv: to you! This wait sounds like torture!


There was a gal on this board who started with a Beta of 6. Can’t remember her name since this was way back in September or so. But I have not seen her on the boards recently, so I assume all is well!Anyway they could do an US early like at 6 weeks?!


my first beta with my dAughter was a measly 17!! It doubled slowly but it did double! Shes a healthy 10 month old now! :slight_smile: goodluck to you!:babydust:


Thanks for the encouragement!

Thank you to everyone who has read this and has responded with encouraging thoughts and stories. It really means a lot!

I think I go back and forth between believing that “knowledge is power” and wanting to know as much as I can and “ignorance is bliss” and wishing that I didn’t know as much as I do about hcg levels and calculations and miscarriage statistics etc.

Any of you feel that way too? It seems like it’s part of this infertility roller coaster. At this point I can’t imagine just doing it the “old fashioned way” getting a positive result on an HPT and then going to the doctor for a regular appointment at 8 weeks (or even later). So many people don’t realize how lucky they are!


Having been on the beta roller coaster myself, I understand why you’d want that fourth beta. I was given the choice between a fourth beta and scheduling an ultrasound and went for the fourth beta too. I really hope you get good news tomorrow! :pray:



I just wanted to let you know that I’m praying for you!


Feeling blue

Thank you all so much for the thoughts and prayers. It really does mean a lot, especially since I haven’t told anyone in my family about this pregnancy.

I have spend an inordinate amount of time on the web tonight googling low beta and slow rising beta stories and I don’t think I found even one with numbers as low as mine this many days past iui/ovulation. I showed several examples and charts etc to my husband (who is ever hopeful) in order to try and control his hopes a bit.

We are seeing family over spring break and after the initial positive results was naive enough to buy a “big brother” shirt to put on my son in order to surprise my family with the news.

I know it’s not technically over yet, but the reality of the situation is really starting to sink in and I’m just so sad.


I am praying you get good news today!


Update :frowning:

Thanks to everyone who was thinking about me and praying for me today. Unfortunately, I got the news I was expecting. My numbers are still going up, but not nearly enough. My beta was only somewhere around 110 today. My progesterone is still high so I don’t know when to expect this all to end. They are concerned it could be ectopic and I’m going out of town for the next 10 days. I need to find somewhere to get my blood drawn while I’m gone and then be on the lookout for any signs of ectopic.

My hunch is that it is a cyst that’s keeping my progesterone high… But who knows?

Anyway, I didn’t want to leave anyone hanging. Thanks again to everyone! Once I figure out what our next steps are I’m sure I’ll be back here on a 2 WW board!


I’m so sorry! Prayers still with you!


Very sorry :frowning:


I’m very sorry. I wish you the best of luck with your next iui


Just in case anyone finds this in the future…

On Monday, my doctor decided it must be an ectopic pregnancy due to the fact that with several more blood draws, my hcg levels have continued to slowly rise. I did the methotrexate shots that same night and am having my levels checked again tomorrow. Now, I’m actively hoping they will go down. So weird.