I'm 32 year old male with serious fertillity problems

i’m 32 years old and my sperm test wasnt good came back saying i had no sperm so i wentto a private hospital and the test came back the same, also told that my testosterone is very low and over the next few years its gonna drop even lower and that my sex drive is gonna be worse than it already is my doctor is starting me on hormone treatment as i want to do icsi to have a child with my wife as he says its productive problem so he’ll have to do an operation on my testicals too see is there is sperm inside and not to give up hope as they may find sperm inside my testicals there is a 20% chance they will find some am not sure whether to go ahead with the operation as i will be gutted if the result comes back the same, he said maybe we should think of getting a sperm donor but i really wanted to be the biological father is there anyone out there that has had a sperm donor as i need to have help as i am so feeling down at the moment and dont know what to think about everything

[QUOTE=jimmyg]i’m 32 years old and my sperm test wasnt good came back saying i had no sperm so i wentto a private hospital and the test came back the same, also told that my testosterone is very low and over the next few years its gonna drop even lower and that my sex drive is gonna be worse than it already is my doctor is starting me on hormone treatment as i want to do icsi to have a child with my wife as he says its productive problem so he’ll have to do an operation on my testicals too see is there is sperm inside and not to give up hope as they may find sperm inside my testicals there is a 20% chance they will find some am not sure whether to go ahead with the operation as i will be gutted if the result comes back the same, he said maybe we should think of getting a sperm donor but i really wanted to be the biological father is there anyone out there that has had a sperm donor as i need to have help as i am so feeling down at the moment and dont know what to think about everything[/QUOTE]

Hi. My husband (who is 30) has had the exact same problem. He had sperm count of 2, then after being on Clomid for 6 months his sperm count was 50. Then after 9 months of Clomid the RE said there was “essentially nothing” in his latest semen analysis. We were both completely devastated when we found out last year…it has taken almost the entire year for us to accept it and move onto donor sperm. The IVF lab said his numbers were too low to even do ICSI, but we could have done the testicular biopsy to see if there were any more sperm, but we decided against it mainly because of the cost…of the biopsy and the cost of IVF with ICSI.

It really sucks. We know how you feel and there is really nothing you can immediately do except give it time, weigh all your options and really look into donor sperm. We saw a counselor through the fertility clinic and she was extremely helpful in guiding us on our options.

And all I can tell you is how we’ve handled it. We are trying our first cycle with the donor sperm in a few weeks and even though my husband’s DNA is not a part of it, he is and he will be the one there raising the child. And that is what really matters.

Good luck!

My dh has azoospermia too. We went to see several doctors and they too offered us the biopsy with the ISCI/IVF option. For us financially it wasn’t an option. Not to mention my husband was not thrilled about some of the risks that were explained to us. While they were small risks he just couldn’t get warmed up to the idea of chancing anything. When were told we needed to have back up sperm just incase they didn’t find any so that the IVF wasn’t “wasted.” That’s when we decided well… maybe we should just go the donor route in the first place.

It was difficult to come to terms with donor sperm. It was hard for both of us. I can tell you though… it doesn’t phase either one of us now. You will love your child more than anything and the biology of how this child came to be will not matter.

I thought that I loved my husband more than anything in the world. I do love him…but the love you feel for a child is sooo totally different. It’s all consuming in a different way and people tried to explain that to us before we had kids and you can’t understand the depths of your heart until you have a baby. He loves our son more than anything. While our son may not have my husbands exact eyes he has my husbands heart and that’s more than enough to make us a family.

Best of luck to you!

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel. I am a 35 year old male with azoospermia. Klinefelters to be specific, which means I carry an extra X chromosone and am infertile. mTese was offered but was given < 1% success rate.

My wife and I found this out last April, and it was hard. Really, really difficult to accept and move on. Donor sperm really is the only option, and that was the most difficult thing for me to accept.

We saw a genetic counselor, and whilst the ‘risk’ of passing my infertility on to a son was there, there was greater risk of passing on a much more severe genetic disorder. With that in mind, plus the 1% success rate of the procedure and finally the cost, we decided to rule out the mTese. Maybe in the future when medicine developes, who knows.

I did see a counselor 2 months ago for emotional support and guidance, and whilst I didn’t do my ‘homework’, that really helped. It was good to talk to someone who is not family and is no way connected to me. It helped me to open up more.

It has taken a long time but I feel ready now. We have wanted kids for years now. This coming Monday we have an appointment at our local fertility clinic, the start of the donor conception journey.

I am in the UK, but even if you are not, I can recommend a brilliant website - www.dcnetwork.org.uk - it provides loads of support on donor conception. I have joined the group and I look forward to meeting people who have gone through what I have.

Good luck, give yourself lots of time, just don’t rush into things and don’t think that you need to. And do consider speaking to a counselor. It took me months to pluck up the courage, but it was worth it.

well said!

[quote=pixelpie]My dh has azoospermia too. We went to see several doctors and they too offered us the biopsy with the ISCI/IVF option. For us financially it wasn’t an option. Not to mention my husband was not thrilled about some of the risks that were explained to us. While they were small risks he just couldn’t get warmed up to the idea of chancing anything. When were told we needed to have back up sperm just incase they didn’t find any so that the IVF wasn’t “wasted.” That’s when we decided well… maybe we should just go the donor route in the first place.

It was difficult to come to terms with donor sperm. It was hard for both of us. I can tell you though… it doesn’t phase either one of us now. You will love your child more than anything and the biology of how this child came to be will not matter.

I thought that I loved my husband more than anything in the world. I do love him…but the love you feel for a child is sooo totally different. It’s all consuming in a different way and people tried to explain that to us before we had kids and you can’t understand the depths of your heart until you have a baby. He loves our son more than anything. While our son may not have my husbands exact eyes he has my husbands heart and that’s more than enough to make us a family.

Best of luck to you![/quote]

My DH and I were also told that we would only have a 20% chance of a successful pregnancy with ICSI/IVF based on my age and DH’s super low sperm counts. He had varicocele surgery a couple of years ago and was told that his count went from 1 viable to a million viable sperm. My RE never told us what his count was when he did a SA with the office but was told that he had enough.

We knew my DH had low sperm counts but did not realize how low until after our second IVF. I could not figure out how only one egg fertilized with ICSI out of 8 my RE retrieved from me but that one embryo resulted in a successful pregnancy. It wasn’t until I went back to let my RE know that we were having a girl that I found out that the reason only one fertilized was because only one sperm was found in my DH’s SA. If you do go through with the mTESE and they only get a couple remember it really does only take one.

Hi Jan, Congrats! Ur story gives me hope! If only one sperm can do the job, having less than 2million now feels like winning a lottery only that u still have to spend $$$$$ for the treatment and procedure. Did u do IVF + ICSI in your 1st procedure and what was the count then? Best wishes!

Just hang in there mate. If a donor sperm is your only option, just troll with it. Trust me, whatever discomfort you are feeling right now, it will be gone once you see your kid.

we just did our mtese. husband is healling well. he was extremely nervous about the operation and wanted to back out. but afterwards he said it wasn’t that bad. they tell you to move around abit that very day. nothing major , but get up go to the bathroom, get up make some tea. walk up the stairs. no lifting. it’s been two weeks and he’s almost back to normal. he shovelled the snow, took the garbage out. make dinner. by 4 week they say 100%. there are a few scabs and the brusing is gone. he says the’re sensitive, but i “took my hubbie for a test drive” and he “rose” to the occation.

as for the result. this was dissaponting. i was expecting thr dr to say yes there is or no ther isn’t. he came back with a maybe. after the lab looked at it , he had 4 abnormal sperm that we not usable. therefor no bio child for us. as for ds? i’m not ready yet. maybe no child. i dont know yet.

i just wanted you to know how it went for us. hope it helps with your decission . don’t be afraid of the operation. i needed to know be for i could move on.

Hi Beblessed1, we did IVF+ICSI+AH on both procedures. I am not sure what his count was for our first cycle but 4 did fertilized. We are still in awe that he only had 1 sperm and our cycle worked. Hold on to the hope and please keep me posted on how everything goes.

Thank you Jan! My best to u too!

Low Sex Drive?

My husband and I have been trying for almost 9 months, and began seeing an RE. His sperm count is fine, but after I got the HCG injection, and was told to have sex on two days… he couldn’t- only on one of the two days.
Has any other male experienced this-- he says he really wants a baby, but could the stress be getting to him?

I do not want to continue this process if this is going to happen every month. I’d rather just give up now.

Lisapea Has your DH had his testosterone tested to see if it is low? This may be the cause for his low drive. Of course, it could be just the stress of “performance on demand” but I would rule out medical reasons 1st. My DH had a low drive, we had him tested and found out his testosterone was extremely low. He was placed on Clomid and it increased over 350 pts. Sorry you are having to deal with this but don’t give up just yet-- you still have options. :grouphug:

Thanks for your insight, hopeful! Any other time, he is good to go. Just recently, with the whole “do it on command” thing, he’s been having trouble. At least we were able to do the BD on 2 out of the 3 days.

Hi there. Thought that I would contribute to this thread.

My husband has a Y chromosome microdeletion which has made him azoospermatic with low testosterone. Our only chance at ever having a bio child was to undergo the microTESE procedure with IVF/ICSI. We just recently underwent the cycle and no sperm was found in my husbands mTese.

For your info, my DH’s experience with the TESE wasn’t that great. He said it was very painful and wasn’t really able to move or walk for over a week and not able to lift much for weeks. He is healed and fine now.

We are now trying out HCG injections to see if we can get his testosterone & sperm count up (kind of our last hope before donor).

Have you had your LH, FSH & Estriadol levels taken? ALso, you may want to consider having the test done for the Y microdeletion (it’s more common than you think).

Good luck!

Our experience with TESE

Hello - I wanted to contribute to this thread.

We have just gone through IVF/ICSI and TESE at Cornell. My husband had great testosterone levels and looked physically good. Unfortunately they found no sperm. We had discussed and thought about this outcome prior to the operation and had back up donor sperm. The embryo transfer was yesterday.

My husband has been amazing and pragmatic throughout our journey so far. He says there is more than one way to build a family. I think the decision to use donor sperm is the hardest part but once that decision is made it just gets easier. For us having it as a backup certainly made this process easier.

My husband’s doctor is Dr Schlegel who is amazing. We feel peaceful that we gave it our best shot and then moved on to Plan B quickly.

As for the operation, in our case it was invasive. My husband is really only out of bed on day 5, is bruised and swollen and will need to take it easy for four weeks according to Dr Schlegel.

Good luck to you all.

Fertility problem-solving

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Problems with infertility can arise when nutrition does not reach the reproductive tissue; this can happen due to under nutrition, poor digestion or obstruction due to toxins. Infertility can also arise when the reproductive tissue is over taxed or damaged by infection or trauma. The Ayurvedic strategy is to first clear obstructions and then tonify reproductive organs with nourishing herbs. The following products effectively improve male and female fertility.For the solution please click here :
http://www.india-herbs.com/aff/faiza/kamaraja
or
http://www.india-herbs.com/aff/faiza/main

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]thread.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]

[/SIZE][/FONT] [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]