Improving egg quality tips

Hi Guys
We are about to start IVF #3 and Im after any tips for improving egg quality… Ive only just found out about co q10 so this will be our first cycle taking these supplements.
I also bought some “Royal Jelly” but am somewhat freaked out about the warnings on the jar- ie “can lead to severe reactions and has in some cases led to fatalities”!!! WT?!
Has anyone taken this and or melatonin in a cycle?
We are already doing acupuncture/drinking chinese herbs have just started on smoothies with MACA Wheat germ etc… hmm Im sounding desperate!
All tips welcome no matter how seemingly obscure…

Have you explored taking DHEA? There are some studies that show for older women that it improves egg quality and IVF outcomes.
It helped me to improve my egg quality and I did get one normal after PGS testing during my 3rd fresh IVF round. The one normal resulted in my 1 year old baby. He was born when I was 39.

Good luck!

Wow how fantastic! Congratulations… Is DHEA a supplement like a vitamin ?

Try to find additional information on this in this forum because the ladies were writing about it. I woyld recommend mitochondria energizer and pycnogenol since they renew cells and their energy. I judt want to draw your attention to the following: you have to take these supplements at least a month prior to the retrieval. Better to wait a bit longer than to rush into it. Gl

We had success with 3+ months on CoQ10. I tried royal jelly and dhea briefly, but couldn’t tolerate either.

Like Tessa mentioned, [I]DHEA[/I] looks like it might be promising, especially for women that are older. To add to that list is a new compound which is now being marketed in a number of forms: M[I]yo inositol. [/I]It’s present in a medication called [I]Pregnitude, [/I]as well as a few others. The research is still a little bit sketchy. Also, there was some new research done in your age group that could have a dramatic effect on egg development and maturation. The methodology was robust and the results were very strong. If you eat a high protein diet— at least 25 percent by calories— the odds of success for a woman undergoing IVF at your age can be upwards of 30 percent higher than control groups. If your diet is at least 50 percent by calories, its even higher. Ideally, you would want to cut out as many carbs from your diet as possible, eat tons of low calorie vegetables, and eat a good portion of lean protein. A brief summary of the research can be found here: [URL]http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ACOG/38949[/URL]

I recommended this diet to my wife even before we read about the research because other female omnivores in the animal kingdom pursue high protein diets when it comes time to breed, [I]especially [/I]primates, so it made sense that humans weren’t an exception to that rule. Aside from being good for egg development, the diet is just plain good FOR you, which will also improve your odds.

Also, in my opinion, there are a lot of “controversial” and dubious claims out there involving fertility enhancing “folk medicine.” If you ever wonder aloud why these methods aren’t used more broadly and someone replies with something to the effect of “the pharmaceutical companies just don’t want you to know about it!” then that’s usually a red flag. If you are going to go the “herb” route, I’d stick to the ones that don’t have any risk of actually hurting you or separating you from too much of your money. Royal Jelly is one of those controversial issues that raises red flags for me. I browsed all of the medical journals on Google Scholar for articles pertaining to IVF success and Royal Jelly and I couldn’t find a single peer reviewed study that supports this hypothesis. Royal Jelly does seem to have a remarkable effect on the motility of buffalo sperm though… but that study has only been cited once… and I’m assuming we don’t have too many male bison reading this thread.

I think people assume that, hey, if a queen bee lays 2,000 eggs a day and eats nothing but royal jelly, maybe that’ll make my eggs super awesome too! Now, I’m not an RE, but I did spend some time at the social insect lab at the Smithsonian in DC studying the reproduction of social insects like bees and it turns out that insect egg are completely different than mammal eggs. For the same reason that you aren’t instantly killed the way an insect is when exposed to small amounts of pesticides, eating food that is super fertile for a specific breeding cast of insects will almost certainly not be digested or metabolized the same way by a mammal’s gastrointestinal tract. Royal Jelly doesn’t even have the same influence on OTHER species of social insects, nonetheless an entire different phylum of life. So I don’t think eating Royal Jelly will make you fertile any more than eating a lion’s heart will make you brave.

That’s just my take, though. If you have infinite resources, go ahead and take whatever is safe and whatever you can get your hands on. If your resources aren’t infinite, I’d recommend going with medically tested supplements and recommendations that have some measure of peer review. Everything else has a tendency to be hear-say. Good luck!

It’s a chemical that occurs naturally in the body and is used to create sex hormones in our bodies. You can get micronized DHEA at GNC which is what I used, but some people swear by getting it from a pharmacy.

Guys u are all awesome and I appreciate your info and responses. Demian you have brought a smile to my face, not always that easy to do during this process so I thank you :slight_smile:

Acupuncture! (with someone who specializes in fertility) So definitely stick with that! I’m convinced that’s what worked for us. I started about 6 months before our IVF treatment. I’m sure this is your cycle!!! :slight_smile: Good luck and please keep us posted!