In my 20's and first IVF cycle failed :(

I have had hormonal problems my whole life (i got a period only once when i was about 14 and then never got it again unless i was on birth control) but no one ever told me i would have a problem having kids. And i’ve been going to the best doctors forever. They all told me that i would just need to stimulate my ovaries with hormones and that i would be fine.

Now i am 27 and it looks like i have low ovarian reserve AND low quality eggs!!??

I just did my first round of IVF and it was unsuccessful. They removed 7 eggs, 3 of which fertilized, and none of which developed.

My FSH is 12.5 and my AMH is 0.55

Anyone else here have a similar issue and have been successful?

If I have low quality eggs does that mean that ALL of my eggs are low quality or is there I change I have some good quality ones?

Desperate for good news …

Don’t give up

Hi,
Just wanted to give you some hope. I am 28 but started my journey of infertility a few years ago. I also have very low reserve and poor egg quality along with a few other issues (see my siggy). After 3 rounds of IVF I now have a beautiful little girl! It may take a few tries but don’t lose hope for yourself. Try and find an RE that specializes in DOR. DOR girl sometimes don’t respond well so different protocols need to be used. Perhaps get immune testing done as well so you know what all you’re dealing with. If I could do it again I would have tested for immune issues the first time instead of trying twice before testing. Good luck!

mammainwaiting so sorry to hear about your DOR. I know it’s hard. I really hope you get so good feedback. Don’t give up just like dl58 said. Also are you taking any supplements to try to improve egg quality? A lot of women take Royal jelly, CQ010…and some other supplements.

Good luck

Don’t give up!!! I was dx with DOR (AMH 0.18 and FSH 12) when I was 26-27. We didn’t fertilize the first IVF but I started DHEA and CoQ 10 which this last round I fertilized, they grew perfectly and I got my very first :bfp: !! It didn’t work out but we have a game plan for next round with my progesterone. I’m also going to lose a few pounds (I always gain these cycles), started royal jelly and check out acupuncture. There are success stories…we just have a harder time! I also was on the micro dose lupron flare protocol. Good luck!!!

[quote=dl58]I have had hormonal problems my whole life (i got a period only once when i was about 14 and then never got it again unless i was on birth control) but no one ever told me i would have a problem having kids. And i’ve been going to the best doctors forever. They all told me that i would just need to stimulate my ovaries with hormones and that i would be fine.

Now i am 27 and it looks like i have low ovarian reserve AND low quality eggs!!??

I just did my first round of IVF and it was unsuccessful. They removed 7 eggs, 3 of which fertilized, and none of which developed.

My FSH is 12.5 and my AMH is 0.55

Anyone else here have a similar issue and have been successful?

If I have low quality eggs does that mean that ALL of my eggs are low quality or is there I change I have some good quality ones?

Desperate for good news …[/quote]

I had the same thing happen my first cycle. My 2nd cycle I had 100% fertilization and a BFP. My FSH at the time was 18 and my AMH was .4. I was 32.

Just because you have poor quality eggs one cycle does not mean you will the next. Protocol can dramatically impact quality. You just need to find the right protocol for your eggs. Given you are so young, the quality of your eggs should be good. It is just the quantity that will be an issue.

I would go straight to CCRM if I were you. They have an excellent lab. They are were I found success. I have had 2 failed cycles with them since, but I was older, and my FSH is now 32. Still, I have had much better results with them than at any other clinic.

I think eggs from those with low AMH need the best possible culture environment b/c we just don’t have a lot to choose from. Not that they are worse than others, just that others have so many more to choose from, they can afford to not have total fertilization or have a few bad quality ones.

There are tons of people with your stats that have had success. They are also older than you, so you should have a better shot. I would just be very proactive and set up meeting with a lot of poor responder doctors to get various opinions (when this happened to me, I had phone conferences with Cornell, CCRM, and SIRM).

If at all possible, you could consider going to a lab who uses vitrification and bank your embryos at a great lab. This would give you a better shot of having a sibling for your child. This would be pretty expensive at a really great clinic. I did not do this and sometimes I think maybe I should have (of course I also think I probably shouldn’t have b/c if I did I may not have had my DD b/c she may not have made it to a day 5 transfer or made it through the freezing process).

I would also consider taking CoQ10 (at least 200 mg, but up to 800 I believe). It is good for poor repsonders. I would also do accupuncture at least once a week. It seems to help poor responders.

Please don’t get too down. all hope is not lost. I don’t have my own success yet, but I am very hopeful that its just a matter of time. I have read many success stories on this board of women who overcame the same (and sometimes worse) issues. It will happen for you. You also have age on your side.
I also second the suggestion to try some supplements that might help improve egg quality and quantity. I didn’t try any my first go and now, I am on DHEA, CoQ10(Ubiquinol) and Royal Jelly. The best news is that these supplements are not that expensive and you can get them over the counter. Good Luck on your next go and stay positive.

Hi there,

These other ladies have all given great advice. Just wanted to add that my history is similar to yours in that I never started my period. Went on BCPs at 16. Spent most of my life wondering if I could ever get pregnant, because I knew I was different.

Have you been karotyped? Do you have a sense of smell? My amenorrhea turned out to be due to a lack of smell, or Kallmann Syndrome. No RE ever asked me about my smell, or we would’ve diagnosed this years ago!! Also, my karotype test came back with turner mosaicism. That can lead to no periods and DOR. Not sure the treatment would be any different, if you found out, but at least you would know why you have the DOR.

Again, cling to the fact that you and your eggs are young. Wishing you all the best.

You already have tons of great advice on here!! Sorry to hear about your negative cycle. I started IVF very young, 23, to be exact and everyone told me “time is on your side”, which it is, but you never know what you are in for. Although we started ttc at 22 I did not have my first little miracle until I was 26 years old.

I was never diagnosed with DOR but for whatever reason I can’t produce more than about a handful of eggs on each cycle (even at the young age of barely 23, I only got five eggs). Just really came on to say that no matter what you go through, you CAN go on to have a healthy baby, and it WILL be worth it in the end! Good luck to you. I have a few success stories on my blog from ladies that have been through all kinds of things (including my own story) if you would like to check it out. (link is in my sig)

Wow thank you so much everyone for all the encouraging replies!! This was so amazing to read!

[B]mammainwaiting [/B]- what do you mean by immune testing? is that not part of the routine blood work the do before starting IVF? Also did you do your 3 rounds of IVF consecutively or did you take breaks in between?

[B]AnastasiaC[/B] - thats really encouraging, thanks! When you started DHEA and CoQ 10 was that something you discussed with your doctor or can I just start taking it?

[B]Francesca13[/B] - yea i did do a karyotype and it came back normal. Its very strange why i have chronic amenorrhea and after all these years we still havent been able to figure out why. I’m glad you were able to learn the reason, although it should have been sooner. Do you know if the chronic amenorrhea will make it even more difficult to get pregnant?

[B]brit1612[/B] - You mentioned that you started IVF at 23 and had your first miracle at 26 (yay!!). Does that mean you were constantly doing IVF during that time? I am just confused when people mention that it took a few years - does that include long breaks? Other treatments?

Again, thank you all for your replies and support. I’m happy I found this forum!

[QUOTE=mammainwaiting]Hi,
Just wanted to give you some hope. I am 28 but started my journey of infertility a few years ago. I also have very low reserve and poor egg quality along with a few other issues (see my siggy). After 3 rounds of IVF I now have a beautiful little girl! It may take a few tries but don’t lose hope for yourself. Try and find an RE that specializes in DOR. DOR girl sometimes don’t respond well so different protocols need to be used. Perhaps get immune testing done as well so you know what all you’re dealing with. If I could do it again I would have tested for immune issues the first time instead of trying twice before testing. Good luck![/QUOTE]
Thanks for your response!

What do you mean by immune testing? is that not part of the routine blood work the do before starting IVF? Also did you do your 3 rounds of IVF consecutively or did you take breaks in between?

[QUOTE=AnastasiaC]Don’t give up!!! I was dx with DOR (AMH 0.18 and FSH 12) when I was 26-27. We didn’t fertilize the first IVF but I started DHEA and CoQ 10 which this last round I fertilized, they grew perfectly and I got my very first :bfp: !! It didn’t work out but we have a game plan for next round with my progesterone. I’m also going to lose a few pounds (I always gain these cycles), started royal jelly and check out acupuncture. There are success stories…we just have a harder time! I also was on the micro dose lupron flare protocol. Good luck!!![/QUOTE]
thats really encouraging, thanks! When you started DHEA and CoQ 10 was that something you discussed with your doctor or can I just start taking it?

[QUOTE=Francesca13]Hi there,

These other ladies have all given great advice. Just wanted to add that my history is similar to yours in that I never started my period. Went on BCPs at 16. Spent most of my life wondering if I could ever get pregnant, because I knew I was different.

Have you been karotyped? Do you have a sense of smell? My amenorrhea turned out to be due to a lack of smell, or Kallmann Syndrome. No RE ever asked me about my smell, or we would’ve diagnosed this years ago!! Also, my karotype test came back with turner mosaicism. That can lead to no periods and DOR. Not sure the treatment would be any different, if you found out, but at least you would know why you have the DOR.

Again, cling to the fact that you and your eggs are young. Wishing you all the best.[/QUOTE]
yea i did do a karyotype and it came back normal. Its very strange why i have chronic amenorrhea and after all these years we still havent been able to figure out a reason why. I’m glad you were able to learn the reason, although it should have been sooner.

Do you know if the chronic amenorrhea will make it even more difficult to get pregnant since our protocols need to begin with birth control or should that not matter?

[QUOTE=brit1612]You already have tons of great advice on here!! Sorry to hear about your negative cycle. I started IVF very young, 23, to be exact and everyone told me “time is on your side”, which it is, but you never know what you are in for. Although we started ttc at 22 I did not have my first little miracle until I was 26 years old.

I was never diagnosed with DOR but for whatever reason I can’t produce more than about a handful of eggs on each cycle (even at the young age of barely 23, I only got five eggs). Just really came on to say that no matter what you go through, you CAN go on to have a healthy baby, and it WILL be worth it in the end! Good luck to you. I have a few success stories on my blog from ladies that have been through all kinds of things (including my own story) if you would like to check it out. (link is in my sig)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for sharing and I will definitely check out your blog!

You mentioned that you started IVF at 23 and had your first miracle at 26 (yay!!). Does that mean you were constantly doing IVF during that time? I am just confused when people mention that it took a few years - does that include long breaks? Other treatments?

Hi DL58
I don’t think all clinics do immune testing. I went to SIRM because they have great success with DOR patients. They had me tested for NK (natural killer) cells and DQ alpha match as well as blod clotting issues. Only a few places tedt NK cells and tht seemed to be one of my issues so I was treated with intralipids and it worked!
I did all 3 ivf cycles in one year but I waited to have at least one menses between cycles. Some people space out more but since time is not on my side I didn’t want to waste any time trying.

Good luck!

I’m sorry dl. I’m young too and been trying a couple years. I’ve had doctors blowing smoke up my butt about how easy it would be but it has been hard. Waiting on results of this IVF cycle to see if it worked. At this point my infertility is pretty much unexplained because I responded well for all the IUIs and always had progesterone support but never had a bfp.

[quote=dl58]Thanks for sharing and I will definitely check out your blog!

You mentioned that you started IVF at 23 and had your first miracle at 26 (yay!!). Does that mean you were constantly doing IVF during that time? I am just confused when people mention that it took a few years - does that include long breaks? Other treatments?[/quote]

It took us nearly 5 years to conceive…from the time we got off birth control to the time we had our little guy. But no, it was not constant treatments. We are both teachers, so it makes the most sense for us to cycle during the summer. So, at first we were only doing IVF in the summer (trying on our own during the year), eventually we did do some treatments during the school year, but not at first. It took us a total of 7 treatments to get our two kids. (4 fresh IVF / 3 donor embryo FET) Both boys came from the donor FET cycles. We also had 3 miscarriages along the way…2 of the fresh cycles and one of the FET cycles.

Hope this clarifies a bit. If you are really wanting to know what it took for some to concieve, asking what treatments and how many attempts is probably the best way of asking :). Some people do 5 IVF attempts in a year, others may only do 1 or 2. Most of us are out of pocket and do not typically have the recources to just do IVF continuously.

thanks! i’ll definitely ask about those tests now that I know!

[QUOTE=mammainwaiting]Hi DL58
I don’t think all clinics do immune testing. I went to SIRM because they have great success with DOR patients. They had me tested for NK (natural killer) cells and DQ alpha match as well as blod clotting issues. Only a few places tedt NK cells and tht seemed to be one of my issues so I was treated with intralipids and it worked!
I did all 3 ivf cycles in one year but I waited to have at least one menses between cycles. Some people space out more but since time is not on my side I didn’t want to waste any time trying.

Good luck![/QUOTE]
thanks i’ll definitely ask about those tests!

[QUOTE=mammainwaiting]Hi DL58

Good luck![/QUOTE]
thanks! i’ll definitely ask about getting tested now that i know!

[QUOTE=brit1612]It took us nearly 5 years to conceive…from the time we got off birth control to the time we had our little guy. But no, it was not constant treatments. We are both teachers, so it makes the most sense for us to cycle during the summer. So, at first we were only doing IVF in the summer (trying on our own during the year), eventually we did do some treatments during the school year, but not at first. It took us a total of 7 treatments to get our two kids. (4 fresh IVF / 3 donor embryo FET) Both boys came from the donor FET cycles. We also had 3 miscarriages along the way…2 of the fresh cycles and one of the FET cycles.

Hope this clarifies a bit. If you are really wanting to know what it took for some to concieve, asking what treatments and how many attempts is probably the best way of asking :). Some people do 5 IVF attempts in a year, others may only do 1 or 2. Most of us are out of pocket and do not typically have the recources to just do IVF continuously.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the explanation!