Incompetent Cervix Advice Please :(

Hi there–I’m currently 17 weeks 4 days pregnant with boy/girl twins (so excited and happy about that part)! I went to my appointment with the perinatologist yesterday and found out that while the babies are perfect, my cervix isn’t. It’s measuring at 2.4–the Dr. told me to take it easy and put me on Progesterone suppositories and I’m going back in two weeks to have another transvaginal to see what’s going on. I’m not working and able to stay home during the day but I go to grad school three nights a week (not a lot of moving around but kind of a lot of driving). The Dr. said he doesn’t recommend the cerclage for multiples but I might need an emergency one later on down the road. I can’t stop crying about it and wishing I could do something, anything to make it better. I would appreciate any advice. Sorry for the ginormous post :)…
–Ashley

[quote=ashe2011]Hi there–I’m currently 17 weeks 4 days pregnant with boy/girl twins (so excited and happy about that part)! I went to my appointment with the perinatologist yesterday and found out that while the babies are perfect, my cervix isn’t. It’s measuring at 2.4–the Dr. told me to take it easy and put me on Progesterone suppositories and I’m going back in two weeks to have another transvaginal to see what’s going on. I’m not working and able to stay home during the day but I go to grad school three nights a week (not a lot of moving around but kind of a lot of driving). The Dr. said he doesn’t recommend the cerclage for multiples but I might need an emergency one later on down the road. I can’t stop crying about it and wishing I could do something, anything to make it better. I would appreciate any advice. Sorry for the ginormous post :)…
–Ashley[/quote]
Ashley,
I know how you feel dear.My cervix was 2.2 at 23w6d,and from then every week was 2mm shorter.It was crazy scary for me,but…now I am 31 weeks,and my cervix is 1cm23mm ,stable,close and tight.
The fact that your cervix is shorter doesn’t mean that something bad will happen,nooo…The main thing is bedrest,only lunch and bathroom.You have to be very serious about bedrest.Every doctor is different,but take it easy is not enough.
They didn’t put me cerclage because it was late,and because of twins .
Don’t cry,please.I read a lot of success stories,and that gave me a power.
Can you tell me do you have high risk doctor?
Warmly,
Vesna

Thank you so much for responding–it’s so good to hear a positive story. Congratulations on your twins (and your healthy cervix)! :slight_smile: I’m seeing a high risk dr as well as a regular OB (I see the regular OB on Monday, not sure if she will have any input?). Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Just rest please and if you have any question write me.
Long journey,but is worth it
hugs

Ashe - Congrats on your twins! How wonderful!

I know how scary a diagnosis of incompetent cervix can be. I lost a son at 18 weeks when my water broke out of the blue, and at the time they said it was not IC. I was working, driving an hour each way and on my feet alot.

Fast forward to my next pg, and thankfully my perinatologist group said due to my loss they would do cervical length checks starting at 16 weeks. Well, what do you know, at 17 weeks it was shortened and the following week my membranes were funnelling. I had a cervical cerclage done at 18w3d. A few weeks later it continued to shorten and I was put on modified bedrest. Bathroom, shower, up and down stairs once a day only, sit up for meals, that’s it. I was on the couch on my side every day. They watched me weekly, at 26 weeks I was given steroid shots because they were afraid I wouldn’t make it. It continued to shorten down to the stitch, I had just about 1cm left! They wanted to get me to 28 weeks. I was a complete nervous wreck due to my previous loss.

Well, I listened to my drs, and did not move around freely until about 35 weeks and they took the stitch out at 37. In the end, I ended up being induced and had a c-section!

I know with multiples they do not recommend the cerclage. Just stay off your feet as much as possible to alleviate the pressure on your cervix. Lay on your side. I was told not to even sit up for longer than 15 minutes. Once you get to the third trimester, the babies won’t be right on your cervix anymore.

Sometimes the cervix just shortens and is not truly incompetent (which they claim was my story since I didn’t dilate more than 1 cm once the stitch was removed). It is scary, but you just have to do whatever you can to make sure those babies stay put. Just take it day by day and see what they find on the transvaginal u/s. They told me that it wasn’t even so important about how much cervix was left, but that it stayed tight and closed. In my case the stitch held tight.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much for the advice! I feel like I don’t even really know what bed rest is lol–I’ve just been sitting up on the couch all day. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

So sorry to hear you are dealing with this. The goods news is your cervix isn’t necessarily “incompetent” because you could stay at the measurement the rest of the pregnancy.

At 14 weeks, my cervix was 2.5 and I was told to “Take it easy” and no traveling. Then at 17 weeks my doc sent me to mfm to have it evaluated and he measured it at 2.3 but didn’t suggest a cerclage and said to just take it easy again. Then it was getting shorter around 22 weeks and went down to 1.8 but it stayed that way until I was 32 weeks when I delivered. My doc checked it every week, and did fetal fibronectin testing starting at 26 weeks. At 26 weeks the FF test showed I may go into labor and they gave me steroids just in case.

I delivered early because of growth restriction/blood flow and my doctor said at 30 weeks if my cervix had held up thus far that I probably would have went to 38 weeks.

You may just have a short cervix. It happens but just make sure your doc is proactive about the checks, and you should be resting. Don’t take the chance of shopping, groceries, or dishes because it just isn’t worth it.

Also, there is a girl on here that got a cerclage with twins and it got her really far…I hope she chimes in! :slight_smile:

Thanks! It makes me feel a lot better to know that it’s not the end of everything just because the dr says incompetent cervix. I’m just so worried and trying to keep positive (while googling every resource on IC lol). Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Just a quick update on the cervix stuff:
19 Weeks: CL was 3.5
21 Weeks: CL was 3.2.
23 Weeks (this week): CL= 4.6 :slight_smile:
Excited that things seem better after bed rest, but still lots of restrictions and being checked every two weeks. Thanks again for all the positive energy! :slight_smile:

That is fabulous news! Sounds like things are going to be fine for you and your babies! Keep us posted!