Indeterminate Rubella test result


#1

Hi ladies, I was on the road to my first IUI next month but I just got back my Rubella results and it was a 9 (indeterminate) which means they pretty much cannot tell if I am immune or not immune, so the NP at the RE’s office says per their “policy” I have to get the vaccine before they will proceed with IUI and I have to wait at least a month in between. My OB who gave me the test results said to wait 3 months after the vaccine. My question is, have any of you been in this same situation and how long did you wait after the vaccine to start trying or do your IUI? Thanks in advance.


#2

I was in that situation. It seems to be very common. I opted not to re-vaccinate prior to my cycle (I think I had to sign a waiver). They gave me a shot after delivery even though I’m certain I was still immune even though I didn’t have active antibodies.

EDIT: I should mention that as a child, I was vaccinated twice, once at 364 days old. Then, ironically, my MOTHER was instrumental in changing the requirements so that babies be vaccinated after their first birthday, so I had to have it again. And she’s the one who also told me that if you’ve been vaccinated, you are still immune but after a certain amount of time, may not have high levels of active antibodies.


#3

Thanks for the response, essemkay. The more I read about it, the more common it does seem. I will have to check to see if I have an opt out option, otherwise I will just get the shot over with and take a break for a month or so before we start treatments again.


#4

I also had to be re-vaccinated. It was my initial visit with my RE so I sat out a month while I had my HSG done so it wasn’t a big deal for me.


#5

I just found out today that I can opt out and sign a waiver, which is perfect because this is our last month on our current insurance and I want to use as much of our fertility $ before it switches over… I figure there just may come a month that we need to take a break and that would be a perfect time to update my vaccine.


#6

[QUOTE=squishyjones]I just found out today that I can opt out and sign a waiver, which is perfect because this is our last month on our current insurance and I want to use as much of our fertility $ before it switches over… I figure there just may come a month that we need to take a break and that would be a perfect time to update my vaccine.[/QUOTE]
No worries, they’ll take care of that in about 9ish months right after you deliver!