Infertility News Articles

I wanted to start a thread that just posts useful information and articles for those still struggling. My hope with this thread is that others can post similar information so that those still struggling can find a forum that will hopefully help them be successful.

My story, I started trying at 38. Had my first chemical pregnancy after trying chlomid and timed. We then graduated to IUI. Went through several of these with no success. I started with an acupuncturist right before my last attempt with IUI. She started me on many of the vitamins that are listed in the article link below. I stopped IUI after my 4th attempt and started saving up for IVF. We had our first IVF cycle in February, 2011 which resulted in another chemical. I then went and saw a Chinese Dr. who started me on raw herbal tea that was specifically designed for me and where I was at in my cycle. Although the tea was disgusting, I stuck with it and decided in July, 2011 to start a final cycle of IVF. My RE had me on Metformin because although I didn’t have any cysts, I showed other signs of PCOS. She also added to my protocol Dexamethasone which I took through transfer. Also, I came up positive for a blood clotting disorder so after transfer in addition to my POI shots I got to take Lovenox shots. (bruises on belly and rump, no fun) Throughout this second cycle I continued seeing both my acupuncturist and the Chinese Dr. for herbal tea in addition to a multitude of vitamin supplements. Something must have worked as I’m now 21 weeks.

I want to share the articles that helped me through this and recommend that others who are going through this find a support group in their area and start attending. Online support is great, but if it weren’t for the infertility group I had attended I would never have thought to ask about the Natural Killer Cell and similar autoimmune disorders that could be the reason many of us can’t get pregnant.

Anyway, below is a link to one of I hope many articles that get posted to this thread. I will continue to post what I come across to this thread and hope others will join me.

Vitamins For Female Fertility - Infertility

Folic acid

A good article about the benefits of folic acid.

Folic Acid May Quicken Conception - Infertility

Just read this interesting article about twins in ivf
Do twin embryos help each other survive in IVF? - Health - msnbc.com

Iron supplements

Interesting article about iron. I just found out that I will be tested for anemia at my next lab visit and might have to boost my iron intake beyond what is offered in my prenatal.

Iron May Help Ovulatory Infertiltiy - Infertility

Get Pregnant Faster With Fertility Vitamins

Interesting article and study about fertility vitamins. I took some of the ones mentioned during my successful cycle.

Enjoy!

Get Pregnant Faster With Fertility Vitamins - Infertility

Melatonin and IVF
Study Shows Melatonin Almost Doubles IVF Success Rate In Women With Poor Egg Quality

[quote=hope4life]Melatonin and IVF
Study Shows Melatonin Almost Doubles IVF Success Rate In Women With Poor Egg Quality[/quote]

I read the same article, unfortunately, a bit too late in my last cycle to start on a regular regiment. Although, I used it a couple of times to help me sleep during the stems.

Thanks for sharing.

[quote=kndbbydreams]I read the same article, unfortunately, a bit too late in my last cycle to start on a regular regiment. Although, I used it a couple of times to help me sleep during the stems.

Thanks for sharing.[/quote]I took melatonin for 3 months before my 2nd attempt and I think it really did make a difference in egg quality and like you said with all the stress of the cycle itself I was still able to get some sleep.

Articles talking about endometrial scratching/biopsy possibly helping with implantation.

Endometrial Scratch Biopsy Helps IVF Success - Infertility

Laurence A. Jacobs M.D Chicago IL ENDOMETRIAL BIOPSY “SCRATCHING” FOR FAILED IVF - The Laurence A. Jacobs M.D. Blog

I think I remember you from the August IVF group. Glad to see you got a BFP! When are you due?

[quote=kndbbydreams]I think I remember you from the August IVF group. Glad to see you got a BFP! When are you due?[/quote]Yep, I remember you too :slight_smile: Thank you. We’re due May 25th! It’s going by so fast!

This is a blog post I wrote that I think would be helpful to people just starting out with IVF. I hope it is ok that I shared an article I wrote :).

Common Questions / Concerns of IVF

Good luck to everyone!!!

A friend of mine, who is a Dr, just shared this article. Pretty cool!

Sperm Grown In Laboratory In Fertility Breakthrough

DHEA to improve IVF Success

I ended up using DHEA on my successful cycle. This article shows that DHEA has it’s benefits.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art174751.asp/zzz

Thank you for your initiative as well as pointing at importance of certain issues, like testing. I have failed IVF 4 times and although I asked about different tests to be performed,my dr. never did it (I went to a very reputed hospital). However, I went to another Dr. and asked for the tests. Now I am waiting to see what they will show. I am sure they will give me some answers. Wish you all the best

Thank you for your initiative as well as pointing at importance of certain issues, like testing. I have failed IVF 4 times and although I asked about different tests to be performed,my dr. never did it (I went to a very reputed hospital). However, I went to another Dr. and asked for the tests. Now I am waiting to see what they will show. I am sure they will give me some answers. Wish you all the best

This article is about IVF from the viewpoint of the husband through the process:

The Age of Mechanical Reproduction - The Morning News

It’s a touching story and one that all of us who have been through a cycle can understand.

This article is about IVF from the viewpoint of the husband through the process:

The Age of Mechanical Reproduction - The Morning News

It’s a touching story and one that all of us who have been through a cycle can understand.